PDA

View Full Version : #1: What's your favorite GU...

lothar98zag
04-09-2007, 09:26 AM
...first round NCAA Tourney game?

(Here's something to kill some time during the offseason…)

See the poll to vote.

And feel free to add your comments about anything related to any of these games...

Rank all of the games. Tell stories about the games. Which games did you attend? etc. etc.

roxdoc
04-09-2007, 10:44 AM
My pic is Minnesota - the first in the run. I was going to have lunch with a business associate at the Spokane Club and the room was jammed. We were ahead by a lot, then faltered a little bit, then turned on the heat again. The crowd of business people were going crazy. My associate who really wasn't into bb that much just had to cope!

brasszag
04-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Maryland - because I was there with the band :-)

xjzico
04-09-2007, 12:19 PM
The Cincinnati game may not have been the most enjoyable but seeing Bob Huggins get tossed from the game along with the Cincy announcer brings a smile to my face.

lothar98zag
04-09-2007, 12:24 PM
#1: 1995 L vs Maryland (I know it’s a loss but it’s GU’s 1st NCAA tourney game EVER, it holds a special place in my memory because it was during my freshman year & I went to Utah to see the game)

#2: 1999 W vs Minnesota (1st NCAA win, basically a tie for first w/ the 95 game)

#3: 2001 W vs Virginia (again w/ GU proving the previous wins weren’t flukes, plus GU wins in the last minute)

#4: 2000 W vs Louisville (see above, except no last second finish)

#5: 2003 W vs Cincinnati (Huggy got tossed :), even before that happened I was never worried, GU had this won before it started)

#6: 2006 W vs Xavier (X should have been seeded higher, glad GU got the win, nothing spectacular, but better than the other Ws)

#7: 2005 W vs Winthrop (about all I have to say about it is it was closer than I would have liked)

#8: 2004 W vs Valparaiso (a #2 over a #15, I’m always happy for a win, but yawn)

#9: 2007 L vs Indiana (a letdown of a finish to the season, but in reality they just got beat, not much more to it)

#10: 2002 L vs Wyoming (ugh...)

D Hark 2003
04-09-2007, 01:42 PM
The 1999 Minnesota Game was the best first round game IMO. I was at the game in Key Arena and the fans there were awesome. To this day i havent been to a game with more electricity in the crowd(excluding the next game vs Stanford with Mark Madsen). I was a senior at Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma that year and it was awesome to see Calvary playing on the big stage he deserved(He should have been recruited by UW or WSU or other Pac 10 schools), it also made my decision to attend GU over Santa Clara that much easier. No one expected GU to win but the crowd was so amped up and 100% routing for the scrappy lights out shooting underdogs it was great. They were the games that started all this zagmania we see now. The next best game i have been to other than Minnesota and Stanford in 1999 was the Michigan State Double OT game at the Maui invitational in 2005. Ammo, Alger, and shannon brown all had phenominal games, it couldnt have been a better venue to see them, in a high school size gym with Michigan state fans right next to me. I have never talked more sh*t at a game then at that one.

Shanachie
04-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Virginia gets my vote. A great game and finish, plus, if I recall correctly a very amusing post-game press conference with Dan and Casey, with Casey asking reporters if any of them actually saw the blocked shot Dan was credited with. Most importantly from my point of view, it was the first of many supposed "GU is dead now that [fill in the blank, or in this case, blanks] has graduated" tourney games.

zagirl2k
04-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Anyone remember those obnoxious flashing "M" pins all the Minnesota fans were wearing?

That was a fun game. On my flight up the mom of one of the players was on the flight and when she saw my sweatshirt kind of gave me a patronizing little nod. We chatted a bit while waiting to board and she gave us no chance. Of course her son didn't end up playing in the game because he was one of the guys suspended for the academic issues. There were some great posters and chants from the Kennel Club that day. :000tens:

I definitely know my bottom of the list, but none of the others really stand out as great, memorable wins like the first one. Being there made it even better.

Vanzagger
04-09-2007, 05:10 PM
D Hark, Shana, Zagirl......thankyou for that. Nat Champs 08! Write it down.

vz

lothar98zag
04-11-2007, 10:51 AM
(mid-week bump for more votes)

TrueLiz
04-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Anyone remember those obnoxious flashing "M" pins all the Minnesota fans were wearing?

Hmm, I do, as I actually have one tucked away in my desk drawer. I just verified that it still turns on and blinks! :) That was the first time I ever watched this school with the weird name play basketball(on TV). Little did I know they would join my Gophers (and Twins) at the top of my list for favorite athletic teams.