PDA

View Full Version : Fitz has to be proud....

CDC84
04-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Three of his ex-assistants - Few, Monson and Grier - have division one head coaching jobs right now. Did anyone ever think this would happen, say, 18 years ago or so when these guys first started working under Fitz at Gonzaga for peanuts?

Fitz deserves some major credit for seeing the potential in these guys and hiring them. There aren't many current or retired head coaches that can say that they have 3 ex-assistants coaching at the D-1 level.

gamagin
04-09-2007, 07:18 AM
and it's a good one.

But my guess is there are many, many coaches whose assistants are coaching throughout the nation at D-1 levels and even the pros.

Like, to name a very few, proteges of Wooden, Knight, Pitino, Dick Bennett, George raveling, or any number of very successful coaches who had long careers and mentored many past & current coaches now practicing the craft at virtually ever level.

But you are spot on re: Fitz and his contribution to the current success of the program and its coaches.

Fitz started the phenomena we GU fans now enjoy. And I join you in saluting him, his efforts, his selection of young, eager kids and hiring them at intern wages to break into the coaching business.

I also believe it will forever be a black mark on GU that it failed (and continues even now) to adequately recognize Fitz' contribution and even to return to him some measure of the loyalty he gave to athletics at GU and to GU.

He made mistakes, even a few stupid ones, BUT the school never defended him, explained the circumstances or even apologized for failing to help him when he needed it. Instead he was hanged (hung?) out to dry.

Birddog
04-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Fitz has to be proud....
And Carroll Williams even prouder.(Fitz and Davey)

Birddog

CDC84
04-09-2007, 08:31 AM
These kinds of things can become a genealogy exercise....

I also believe it will forever be a black mark on GU that it failed (and continues even now) to adequately recognize Fitz' contribution and even to return to him some measure of the loyalty he gave to athletics at GU and to GU. He made mistakes, even a few stupid ones, BUT the school never defended him, explained the circumstances or even apologized for failing to help him when he needed it. Instead he was hanged (hung?) out to dry.

You are certainly not alone in your assessment. A lot of fans are unhappy about the whole situation......

gamagin
04-09-2007, 08:34 AM
of separation of proudness . . .

siliconzag
04-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Did Fitz mentor Ben Howland? If so, I would take back the nice things you said about him. I hate UCLA. More than poop. ;)

Sili

CDC84
04-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Howland was actually a graduate assistant under Jay Hillock. Those two go way back.

In fact, if the story is true.....I think Howland used to guard Stockton in practice.

gamagin
04-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I read that, too, last season i think it was. forget where. an article about howland, perhaps. or from a url posted on this blog.

maybe howland wears a zags "T" under his dress shirt . . .

ZagNative
04-09-2007, 12:14 PM
The timing probably is bad right now, after the issues with Josh and Theo and the resulting notoriety, but after things simmer down a bit, hopefully after a strong coming season, I'd like to see a quiet campaign be launched to encourage the administration to assimilate Fitz back into the fold. It is a family, after all, and healthy families don't disinherit their members, even when they've made mistakes.

siliconzag
04-09-2007, 12:40 PM
The timing probably is bad right now, after the issues with Josh and Theo and the resulting notoriety, but after things simmer down a bit, hopefully after a strong coming season, I'd like to see a quiet campaign be launched to encourage the administration to assimilate Fitz back into the fold. It is a family, after all, and healthy families don't disinherit their members, even when they've made mistakes.

Actually if we believe in "redemption" this follows directly from our mission and our core beliefs. Those of you who have convincingly argued that Josh deserves another chance should see the logic in this with Fitz. Besides it seems to me that Fitz's sins were rather, shall we say, venial?!

Sili

lothar98zag
04-09-2007, 12:55 PM
1st: What Fitz did (minor or not) was an NCAA violation. What Josh did was not.

2nd: I wish this issue between GU & Fitz could be put to rest and he could publicly be a part of the GU family, but people on both sides of this issue need to be ready & able to let it go and move on, but that just doesn't appear to be the case...

McZag
04-09-2007, 03:20 PM
...when GU publicly acknowledges the contributions made to the university by Dan Fitzgerald. GU is a differrent place now. Spitzer and his regime have created a level of security and prosperity the univeristy has never seen. Dan was operating in an inferior envornment with a fraction of the resources. He tried his best. He crossed the line. The school and the program are in better places now. It's time to forgive and be appreciative for his great body of work over his long tenure.

SpudDawg
04-09-2007, 11:11 PM
nm

NJZag
04-10-2007, 08:45 AM
1st: What Fitz did (minor or not) was an NCAA violation. What Josh did was not.

2nd: I wish this issue between GU & Fitz could be put to rest and he could publicly be a part of the GU family, but people on both sides of this issue need to be ready & able to let it go and move on, but that just doesn't appear to be the case...

On the first point, JH jeopardized his "student in good standing" classification. Had GU decided to do the same thing that Notre Dame did with McAlarney (arrested with p.o.t. in his car, kicked out for a semester, given leave to apply for readmission) then there could have been NCAA implications. Maybe not an NCAA violation, but NCAA implications.

On the second point, it seems like egos get in the way of what's best in "fixing what's broke" ... at GU and at another place that's part of the Carroll Williams-to-Fitz'n'Davey coaching tree.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_5632738

These have been several of the most divisive months in Bronco basketball history. Say what you will about SCU's performance over the past decade, but the university did Davey a great disservice by forcing him to announce his retirement in February.

(The man behind Davey's ouster, school president Paul Locatelli, attended Keating's news conference but darted out early. When tracked down outside the Leavey Center, Locatelli again refused to discuss the Davey situation with the Mercury News. "I'm late for a meeting," he said.)

It was left to Coonan to clean up the mess, to find a new "face of the department." And in every knowable respect, he has.

Should those whose "vocations" charge them with the rights/responsibilities to be conduits of forgiveness (sacrament of reconciliation ... less intimidating than the old-fangled "Confession") be held to a higher standard? One that would find them taking the first steps in reconciling ruptured relationships in their own lives and in their institutions' lives?

It's a valid question.

This is now the 10th year since Fitz's departure.

A vague aspiration to "someday" put things right, even among the well-intentioned, sometimes runs out of time.

gamagin
04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
enjoyed reading your post. tnx.

you ended this way and I offer this in reply and with respect, but in disagreement:

<<A vague aspiration to "someday" put things right, even among the well-intentioned, sometimes runs out of time. >>

as long as this program runs the way it is running, gaining the attentiion and respect of the basketball nation, its genesis will be a topic of discussion. what happened and why, therefore, will also be part of it.

I don't believe Fitz's contribution can be skirted, avoided or even eroded over time.

Quite the opposite.

It's the stuff of a good book. A movie. A (bkb) love story. A tragedy.

"Grandpa, who started all this ? How DID Gonzaga become a national talent like it has ? What is their secret ? "

"It's a long story, son, but the fellow who started it all, believe it or not, wound up selling tee shirts for a living and was banned from the campus, and GU basketball, for life. I'd like to continue, but we're out of time."

NJZag
04-10-2007, 10:29 AM
enjoyed reading your post. tnx.

you ended this way and I offer this in reply and with respect, but in disagreement:

<<A vague aspiration to "someday" put things right, even among the well-intentioned, sometimes runs out of time. >>

as long as this program runs the way it is running, gaining the attentiion and respect of the basketball nation, its genesis will be a topic of discussion. what happened and why, therefore, will also be part of it.

I don't believe Fitz's contribution can be skirted, avoided or even eroded over time.

Quite the opposite.

It's the stuff of a good book. A movie. A (bkb) love story. A tragedy.

"Grandpa, who started all this ? How DID Gonzaga become a national talent like it has ? What is their secret ? "

"It's a long story, son, but the fellow who started it all, believe it or not, wound up selling tee shirts for a living and was banned from the campus, and GU basketball, for life. I'd like to continue, but we're out of time."

In mentioning the "running out of time" I was speaking to the human beings involved in all of this. The history will always be there. It's the power to affect history while all the "actors" on the "historic stage" are still around that's important.

Both sides can still "write history" by what they do now. And it can be a history which finds Fitz back at games and being recognized for having laid the cornerstone (happy ending) or it can be a history in which the making of amends keeps getting put off and put off. And then history will "write itself" ....

both sides were stubborn, they both died, neither ever spoke to the other again.

That's called a sad ending.

ZagNative
04-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I personally think that if we want to see results on this, a core group of influential folks needs to work on this quietly behind the scenes, with thoughtful minds sharing a respect for the administration, Fitz, and tradition coming together to develop and implement a persuasive strategy.

It's not enough to be "right." Winning is what matters - winning in a way that leaves both sides looking like winners, not necessarily with either or both sides apologizing, probably without a mid-court clinch.

My best case scenario would be to one day find everyone sitting down at the dinner table unannounced one day, with no mention of the rift, just picking up the fork and the conversation as if they'd been put down yesterday, bygones bygones.

If instead of that type of behind-the-scenes effort, we were to launch a big hairy campaign, starting from this board, we would risk embarassing Fitz and hardening defenses, especially right now, coming off the recent traumatic events in the program.