• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kiddwell
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

OK, Who Redshirts?

I mean, somebody's got to, right? Kiddwell, way back when, thought the likely "shirt" this year would be Kelly O. Then Kelly did so well in Canadian summer ball that Kiddwell wavered.

Now with Harris and Kong being locks to play this year, IMHO, that puts Kelly O back in a "shirt."

What do the rest of you think? (Kiddwell "kinda" thinks G.J. might be redshirting too.)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

I kind of approached this too!! I think that at least 2 if not 3 need to RS. Few usually has used an 8-9 man rotation. This year I expect a 10 man rotation, and I think Olnyk, GJ and maybe Dower(?), or Arop. We are stacked in the backcourt. Meech and Bouldin are the primary guards, along with Gray and Gibbs etc.
    So I think Olnyk, GJ and Arop?
    Will
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• Kiddwell
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

IMHO, Arop plays. Dower? Not sure, but Kiddwell thinks Dower plays.

:]
      Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• 75Zag
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

G J ?

i have no idea what will happen and don't really care, but if GJ came all the way from KY and is redshirted, I would expect him and his family to be unhappy. I assumed he came here from KY to get immediate playing time because it was not going to be available to him in KY due to changes in their program. If he is put on the shelf at GU, he might as well have stayed at KY?

Just wondering out loud.
        Do not go gentle into that good night,
        Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
        Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I'd go with Kelly and Sam. Both are very young and have work to do adding strength in the weight room.

There's no reason to rush them along either as their upside is huge so five years with them would be very beneficial to the university. Manny is ready to contribute right now so unless injury I can't see him redshirting. GJ won't redshirt and obviously Bol and Elias will not redshirt.

Comment

• willandi
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

So. Are we going with an 11 man rotation? Which positions have extra people? If GJ and his family are upset are they team players?
            I don't know the answers to any of these questions (obviously), but I expect there will be at least 2 or, more probably, 3 redshirts. We have a lot of twos, threes and fours, plus Matt played the one a lot last year. I expect him to do more of that his senior year.
            Which players make the most sense, position by position, to redshirt, not based on emotions, but by practicality?
            Will

Comment

• ronh_pm
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Kiddwell View Post
              Now with Harris and Kong being locks to play this year, IMHO, that puts Kelly O back in a "shirt."
              Its kind of tough to RS a 6-11 guy who can play 2-3-4 and mabye 5 if he was to put on a few pounds. He can also bring it up the floor as a 1 on a fast break/turnover. Especially hard to RS him when you are 3-4 deep at point and shooting guard.

It's one of those years where its tough to be a coach for good reasons instead of bad.

Comment

• GoZags
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

GJ will not be redshirting.
                sigpic
                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                ——-
                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• memorial80

GJ will not redshirt. He's way too talented.
                  Originally posted by willandi View Post
                  So. Are we going with an 11 man rotation? Which positions have extra people? If GJ and his family are upset are they team players?
                  I don't know the answers to any of these questions (obviously), but I expect there will be at least 2 or, more probably, 3 redshirts. We have a lot of twos, threes and fours, plus Matt played the one a lot last year. I expect him to do more of that his senior year.
                  Which players make the most sense, position by position, to redshirt, not based on emotions, but by practicality?
                  Will

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

So who?

Comment

• memorial80

I guess the coaches are going to have to figure that out... But GJ, Harris, Kong, Arop will not redhsirt IMO.

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by memorial80 View Post
                        I guess the coaches are going to have to figure that out... But GJ, Harris, Kong, Arop will not redhsirt IMO.
                        And we know that Meech, Bouldin, Sacre, Poling, Foster, Gibbs, Gray will not/cannot, that leaves Olnyk and Dower. Is that what you are saying? If so, say it. Who do you think WILL redshirt, not who won't. And, of course, this is all speculation and the coaches make the actual decisions, not those of us here on the boards.
                        Will

Comment

• memorial80

I really don"t know how many they will carry. I've seen Sam play and I think he has a chance to be very, very, very good. I really don't know if any will be redshirted... This is a very special class.

Comment

• RenoZag
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Nobody HAS to redshirt, right ?
                            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• willandi
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

I agree. This is a very special class. With 2 open schollies next year, and one the year after, who gets PT this year? I think that there will be redshirts. Do you think that all 13 schollies and 2 walk-ons will all get PT, or will they redshirt and push a couple (or 3) back a year. Come on...it's speculation!!! You can do this!!!
                              Will

Comment

Working...
                              X