PDA

View Full Version : 2009 is Tommy Lloyd's Masterpiece

BroncoZAG615
09-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Now that Bol Kong has arrived and Elias Harris is en route, it finally feels like the 2009-10 team we have all dreamed of is here. We're now less than two months away from Gonzaga's most difficult match up of the year in Michigan State and it's amazing to think we will be strolling in to East Lansing with 8 players that have yet to play a division one basketball game.

With all that being said, I think that special attention must be given to Tommy Lloyd who has done more to bring this 2009 recruiting class together than probably any assistant coach in the history of the game. We recently interviewed Bol's former coach at Douglas College Jamie Oei (http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/9/17/1035598/learning-about-bol-kong-an) and this is what he had to say about Tommy in response to our question about why he chose Gonzaga:

There were quite a few schools that were interested and ultimately he made his own decision. It came down to where he felt comfortable. Tommy Lloyd was very good to him and I think that he is the reason that Bol is there. He gave him great support during the immigration process and Bol has always viewed Tommy in an excellent way so their relationship was big.

Tommy has definitely stepped into the role of lead recruiter for this team and especially on the international scene, he has been knocking it out of the park. He discovered Elias Harris and was able to lure him away from lucrative European contracts and he got in on Mangisto Arop and Kelly Olynyk before they began dominating Canadian hoops. When you think about it, Manny is a completely different player than he was when he initially committed to Gonzaga and Tommy had the forethought to see how good he could be.

His relationship with Kong is definitely the most impressive as I'm sure the nature of the situation was so frustrating that both parties at some points wanted to just give up. I can't imagine many other schools sticking with Kong after he failed to get his student visa time and time again. The legwork that must have been put in for this all to come together is probably above and beyond what any of us even know.

So basically this is a Tommy Lloyd appreciation thread because I think the work he has done to get this 2009 class together is just truly remarkable. There's really not a doubt in my mind that this class will be a program-defining class and has the potential to bring Gonzaga up to another level of excellence.

FuManShoes
09-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Well said. GU is prety dang lucky to have a recruiter with this kind of tenacity and forsight. I'm excited about this group, not only for their potential but for what they represent -- GU's continued commitment to searching high and low for talented, character-driven guys who can keep the program on its upward trajectory.

NotoriousZ
09-18-2009, 08:13 AM
:clap:

gamagin
09-18-2009, 08:16 AM
and you, Bronco, for all your fine work, too.

Whether these guys pan out in the greater field of competition they will face, individually or collectively, remains to be seen.

But there's no doubt Tommy and the GU staff have done all it could do to set the table, for the Zags, these athletes and alll of us fans.

Go Zags !

BobZag
09-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Tommy has the stamina and endurance of a marathon runner. He's absolutely tireless. Mark my words, this will not be the last time he brings in talent from afar like this.

Kudos to Coach Lloyd.

ZagNative
09-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Tommy (right), with bodyguard, at Adam's draft party in Madison Square Garden.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Mark%20Few/Other%20Coaches/GoZagsandTommyLloydatAdamsdraftsmal.jpg

May you see many more, TL!

ZagAddict
09-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Congrats to Coach Lloyd :clap: BZ - great thread for a class act guy like Tommy. GU is lucky to have such a genuine guy as their lead recruiter. He is a MAJOR part of Gonzaga's continued success.

This year's class on paper is simply amazing, and A LOT of hard work has gone into putting this class together. The amazing thing to reflect upon is all the obstacles that have been overcome to get all 6 players to Gonzaga. I can't remember a year where all the pieces have come together like this one. Tommy and GU never gave up on any of these guys...

The future bright for GU basketball...

webspinnre
09-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Coach Lloyd really is impressive. My only concern is how long before someone else coaxes him away just like they did with Coach Grier.

ZagsGoZags
09-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Bronco,
your thread and post is a fine piece of work indeed
that's why I read the board almost every day except on vacation, because I learn so much
I wondered which coaches were doing so much excellent work on recruiting and Bol Kong especially
Thank You Sincerely
and Thank You Tommy

DenDiegoZag
09-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Tommy's work and relationship with Few seems to be just a natural extension of the "Gonzaga Family" that many of us experienced as students. Those coaches really care for and respect each other, and when one feels appreciated and valued they tend to work tirelessly beyond even just being a natural hard worker. I am sure that many of us can relate to that professor or boss who really makes you want to "give it all for the good of the team." Simply put, the GU coaches really practice what they preach in terms of teamwork. Great job Tommy. Go Zags!

GUZagDenver
09-18-2009, 09:25 AM
As a Zag fan, I too await the day that someone steals away Tommy Lloyd. He seems to me to be one of the rising stars around the country in the ranks of assistant coaches. I think of him everytime I see Brad Stevens of Butler. I think that Tommy could have that kind of success right now in a mid-major program, with his recruiting ties and experience under coach Few. Many times young assistants (Quinn Snyder, etc.) do not pan out, but it's hard for me to envision Tommy not succeeding.

He is really a great asset to the program and hopefully he will be around for a while longer.

cjm720
09-18-2009, 09:28 AM
and you, Bronco, for all your fine work, too.

Whether these guys pan out in the greater field of competition they will face, individually or collectively, remains to be seen.

But there's no doubt Tommy and the GU staff have done all it could do to set the table, for the Zags, these athletes and alll of us fans.

Go Zags !

+1

MickMick
09-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Great insight Bronco.

Appreciation (by us readers) of Tommy is long overdue. I believe that he hit one out of the park as well. BobZag has brought up Tommy's contribution several times. He also points out the contributions by Rice as well.

Awesome thread.

zag buddy
09-18-2009, 12:19 PM
It takes a concerted effort by a coaching team to find success. We are so fortunate to have Tommy playing such a vital role for the zags. Thanks Tommy.

CDC84
09-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Tommy's accomplishments are praiseworthy indeed.

This is a very special coaching staff. Even I take it for granted at times. Tommy is one of the best international recruiters in the business. Leon Rice won the 2009 basketscoop.com coach of the year award this spring which recognizes top assistant coaches from around the country. And then you have Ray G. on the sidelines, who put EWU in the dance for the first time ever, and who led another team (Utah) to the sweet 16. The bow tie is the head coach, Mark Few, who has the second highest winning percentage of all active head coaches at the D-1 level, and who has won more games in his first ten years than any D-1 coach in history besides Roy Williams and Everett Case.

Reborn
09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Great thread, Broncozag:

For me the saying, "The Best Is Yet To Come" really fits Tommy Lloyd. He's a great coach with a great future, and his recruiting gets better by the year, or at least every two years. 2011 is another opportunity for a great recruiting class......

LynetteG
09-18-2009, 12:44 PM
What is truly amazing is what you see when you look at the roster. 16 young men, only 4 from WA, with 2 of those 4 being walkons (not dissing the walkons at all). INCREDIBLE! Gonzaga truly reaches across the country, and really, around the world! Way to recruit coaches!

GoZags
09-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Tommy (right), with bodyguard, at Adam's draft party in Madison Square Garden.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Mark%20Few/Other%20Coaches/GoZagsandTommyLloydatAdamsdraftsmal.jpg

May you see many more, TL!

Agree 100 percent with the sentiments expressed in this thread about Tommy -- and also agree that Gonzaga's entire staff is incredibly special.

It's amazing -- Tommy's "Bodyguard" is often mistaken for this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTl9GlwWwWk)

El Voce
09-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Agree 100 percent with the sentiments expressed in this thread about Tommy -- and also agree that Gonzaga's entire staff is incredibly special.

It's amazing -- Tommy's "Bodyguard" is often mistaken for this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTl9GlwWwWk)

Wow! That guy in the picture with Tommy looks like a heck of a prospect to me! I hope we sign him up!

ZagNative
09-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Wow! That guy in the picture with Tommy looks like a heck of a prospect to me! I hope we sign him up!I heard he's a thug. Not Zag Material at all.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/boxing.gif

Rangerzag
09-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I heard he's a thug. Not Zag Material at all.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/boxing.gif

Maybe room on a hockey team??

BobZag
09-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Not Tommy related, but this sentence in the SSF interview jumped out at me as terrific news--

He [Bol Kong] also spent some time with the Raptors and Anthony Parker to just see what the next level is like and he realized how hard he has to work.

That is huge, imo.

bigblahla
09-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Yeah, ok, I guess it's time to forgive Tommy for that great but untimely catch he made at the Shock game, all is forgotten. :D

Go !! Zags !!!

BobZag
09-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Tommy is so popular The Who named a rock opera after him.

Just_An_Old_Zag
09-22-2009, 09:06 PM
My son and I met Tommy at the parent child camps, we kind of bonded cause we were from Walla Walla..where he "starred" as a player at WWCC and Whitman...

One of my all time favorite people...I am amazed someone hasnt snatched him away to be a head coach...knock on wood

I still chuckle over the Turiaf story where he told Ronny the weather in Spokane was just like Paris...

Zag 77
09-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Ronny still tells stories about that. At least with Kong he could say that Spokane gets less snow than Winnipeg or Edmonton.

Kiddwell
09-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I still chuckle over the Turiaf story where he told Ronny the weather in Spokane was just like Paris...

Paris, Montana.