PDA

View Full Version : Just Received This From a Texas Insider

BobZag
09-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Like last year, Gonzaga will be having a closed scrimmage with the Longhorns in a neutral city like Denver or SLC. As I understand it, the scrimmage will be about a week after the first (and only) Exhibition game on Nov. 2 vs U. of Alberta.

I view this as great for the Zags. Texas is a consensus Top-5 to Top-10 team for 2009-10. That'll be huge since the guys will face another Top-5 type team for real on Nov. 17 in Mich. State.

Keep it light, folks. ;)

GoZags
09-12-2009, 07:03 PM
There is a great deal of mutual respect between Coach Barnes and Coach Few -- and the "series" exemplifies that fact.

In many ways -- these pre-season clashes are more meaningful than an in-season "home and home". Both teams are helped by scrapping and banging against a quality opponent. This is far more productive for the Zags than having an exhibition against a D3 school.

Kiddwell
09-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Mutual respect. Quality competition. And maybe an in season "heads-up" to all those quality Texas high school b-ballers...

:]

CaliforniaZaggin'
09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Upon reading its title, I was hoping this thread would contain good news about LeBryan Nash. Rats.

MickMick
09-13-2009, 07:30 AM
There will be benefit from Few's good relationship with Barnes.

Similar to Few's good relationship with Calapari. Which leads me to a personal theory about GJ Villarino. I believe it is more than a coincidence that Villarino "fell out of the sky" and into Few's lap. When Calapari had the likes of John Wall showing up, he needed to delicately handle a situation. One way is to suggest a good "fit".

Again, it is my own personal theory and I have no facts to base it on. But it certainly doesn't hurt to have good relationship with a coach like Barnes.

cbbfanatic
09-13-2009, 09:37 AM
In many ways -- these pre-season clashes are more meaningful than an in-season "home and home".

not sure i agree with this. theres something about a real, meaningful competition that cannot be duplicated in a closed gym scrimmage.

either way, its still a good idea and is something many schools are doing and have done for years

BobZag
09-13-2009, 09:56 AM
The thing I like best about this for this season is, the numerous young guns will get indoctrinated to elite level competition where they can learn first hand how hard they must play and how much improvement they need. The young Zags won't be going into Michigan State unprepared, they'll know from their Texas experience just what must be done to play at Sparty's level.

Coaches can work on so many different scenarios, from 10 secs to go and down by 1, to fullcourt press schemes, to various inbounds plays, to share what works and what doesn't with the Texas staff, everything we can imagine. And young guys like Poling, Dower, etc., will learn how tough they need to be by going against guys like Dexter Pittman, Gary Franklin, Damian James... And Texas has a killer backcourt to test Matt, Meech, Steven, et al. Keep in mind, Michigan State is every bit as good as Texas........

Fran Fraschilla--

Texas: The Longhorns have won 20 or more games in 10 consecutive seasons and the safest bet in college basketball this year is that that streak will continue. In fact, this is the program's best chance to get back to the Final Four since 2003. It has been a great offseason for Texas. Senior Damion James is back after flirting with the NBA draft. His 16 double-doubles were the second most in the Big 12 last season. Junior big man Dexter Pittman has rapidly improved and should make another huge jump this year. And it's no surprise that Rick Barnes racked up another monster recruiting class, led by 6-3 shooting guard Avery Bradley (ESPNU's No.1-ranked high school recruit). His intensity level on both ends of the court will be to his new coach's liking.

Andy Katz--

The Longhorns are in the sweet spot. Everyone is talking about Kansas, putting Texas off in the shadows of the Big 12 race. That's dangerous with a team that, as one Big 12 coach said simply, "has guys.'' Along with the ridiculously deep and talented backcourt -- that's one way to replace D.J. Augustin -- the Longhorns welcome back inside powers Damion James, Gary Johnson and Dexter Pittman. This team is Final Four-good.

dim4sum
09-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I always thought Bradley, because of his intense intensity at both ends of the floor, was the real catch at Bellarmine while Abdul Gaddy and he were teammates. Without Bradley as a teammate in his senior year, Gaddy's versatility and smootheness weren't enough to make Bellarmine much of a division threat. The team missed the fire that Bradley would flash at his prep school at Nevada. However, Barnes should be aware that Bradley might be a one and done or at best a two and through. Bradley is Gilbert Arenas' astral twin. I love his game. He might tear Meech/ Bouldin/Gray apart in that scrimmage unless they return fire with fire. Just a warning. Thankfully it's not a real game, or the Zags could lose big time that early in the season.

BobZag
09-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Saw Bradley at a GU Team Camp a couple years ago. Wow. Impressive is an understatement. Guys like him will be waiting for the Zags in East Lansing, headed by Kalin Lucas.

The reports that filter out of this closed scrimmage will be verrrrry interesting.

zombienation
09-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Like last year, Gonzaga will be having a closed scrimmage with the Longhorns in a neutral city like Denver or SLC. As I understand it, the scrimmage will be about a week after the first (and only) Exhibition game on Nov. 2 vs U. of Alberta.

I heard this as well from someone.

This should help us gear up for the tremendous out of conference schedule we will be taking on this year.

75Zag
09-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Is there any realistic hope for a future game with Texas? Too risky for one or both of the schools? Just wondering.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

GoZags
09-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Is there any realistic hope for a future game with Texas? Too risky for one or both of the schools? Just wondering.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

With the existing home and homes with Memphis, Wake Forest, Illinois, Michigan State and Washington State -- it's unlikely that another home and home would be scheduled. Perhaps another game like the one played in '06/'07 down in Phoenix (won by the Zags) would work.

I know of no reason why a game couldn't be scheduled.

But as I posted earlier -- it's important for Gonzaga to get a quality scrimmage in prior to the season -- and I continue to think GU is well served by having this scrimmage with Texas (far more valuable than a scheduled exhibition against a school like Emporia State). It's my understanding that Texas likes this as well.

ZagNative
09-13-2009, 03:55 PM
From a Meehan Blog about last year's scrimmage with Texas reported here (http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?p=286575#post286575):

Schools have the option of playing two exhibition games or two scrimmages or one of each. Gonzaga, for the second straight year, played an exhibition game (Wayne State) and scrimmaged Saturday against Texas in Denver. A year ago, Gonzaga scrimmaged Portland State.

This year's scenario worked out well, coach Mark Few said.

"That’s the best thing we’ve done, by far," Few said. "Maybe because it's Rick (Barnes, Texas coach) and I are such good friends, but I think it was more because of the competition. It was just good."

The two teams locked themselves in the gym (Matt Bouldin's high school gym at ThunderRidge, with a couple of Bouldin's Colorado Player of the Year Banners hanging on the walls).

"That's the best thing about it: It's just basketball," Few said. "And we were able to do some professional development staff to staff the night before, comparing recruiting strategies, notes and different philosophies on everything."

Few and Barnes talk roughly once a week during the season.