PDA

View Full Version : GU mentioned in a good way by Katz

nonzagzag
09-07-2009, 12:36 AM
I guess we won't be seeing assistant coach Wiltjer, special assistant Bell, and equipment manager Dranginis any time soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4446331&name=katz_andy

MickMick
09-07-2009, 05:49 AM
One of the reasons why I chose the wording in my Sig.

It also is a factor when choosing which programs I like and don't like. I wonder which mid major coaches would go this route if they had the budget to do so?

In my opinion, attracting recruits should strictly be limited to the amenities that the institution has to offer. And they don't necessarily have to be athletic amenities.

In other words, spending money on the institution itself is money well spent because it can attract players (and/or gifted students) from that point forward. Alternatively, some institutions will pay up to six figures to land a single recruit.

This is why the NCAA hypocrisy is so obvious for all to see when the concept of amateur competition is still the mantra of college sport. The Olympic Committee eventually gave up on the idea. So should the NCAA.

Why? To standardize the system so that all schools are playing by the same rule set. To compensate players for the huge profits that each institution makes off of them.

If a school is making enough money off of players to hire staff into creative positions for the sole purpose of landing a single recruit, then the school is making too much money off of the players.

dim4sum
09-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Cameron Dollar hired his own father, a guy with long years of high school coaching experience as his assistant coach, at Seattle U. That kind of nepotism isn't very smart, especially for a guy who lost a few years as a head coaching prospect as a result of his early and illegal overtures to JH. But, then, maybe father-son connections (WSU, Texas Tech, etc) are no longer frowned upon.

bullzag23
09-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Cameron Dollar hired his own father, a guy with long years of high school coaching experience as his assistant coach, at Seattle U. That kind of nepotism isn't very smart, especially for a guy who lost a few years as a head coaching prospect as a result of his early and illegal overtures to JH. But, then, maybe father-son connections (WSU, Texas Tech, etc) are no longer frowned upon.

I don't have an issue with these types of hirings as long as the family member/friend being given the opportunity clearly has the qualifications for said opportunity. If it's a hiring done simply to gain a recruit or help out the friend/family member then I feel as though it's not done in the best interests of the program. In my perspective hiring someone to get a recruit's attention is essentially the same as giving free stuff/cash to the recruit's family and thus should not be allowed. I feel we are very fortunate at GU to have a coach who doesn't participate in such activities.

MDABE80
09-08-2009, 10:26 AM
We have some prinicpled coaches. The appearance of impropriety is what gives a school a bad reputation....and it's not just the appearance that bugs most people. Seedy people working a "deal" cannot set an example for the guys playing the game at the college level. It's just so bad on so many levels. We do have a great bunch of men and women in our Athletic Dept. The nuances in Katz' article are quite exact ie..UNC doesn't NEED to and Gonzaga CHOOSES not to. The is a big difference and huge compliment for the Gonzaga program if not the University itself.

Das Zagger
09-08-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm shocked that the basketball staff at Louisville would do anything shady, absolutely shocked.

I'm writing a letter, you can count on that.

LongIslandZagFan
09-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm shocked that the basketball staff at Louisville would do anything shady, absolutely shocked.

I'm writing a letter, you can count on that.

Sarcasm tags man!! Saracsm tags!!! ;)

Ok, the statement was already dripping with it... but still... lets have some protocol here. Else this will become like the Foo. :p

CDC84
09-08-2009, 01:09 PM
There are some people who feel that this is a bad move on Pitino's part. He doesn't need anymore bad publicity. Plus, Teague is a 2011 recruit, and he's not likely to choose a school anytime soon if Louisville holds off on this hiring.