PDA

View Full Version : Poling not in Scout's Updated Top 100

MBZags
04-06-2007, 10:07 AM
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2008

They consider him a 3-star recruit now.:(

CDC84
04-06-2007, 10:18 AM
In all my years of following recruiting, I don't know if I have seen a prospect slide as much as Andy has. Unfortunately, he has had health problems that have just taken away from his physical development as a prep prospect. It's a real shame, because I have seen him play, and he is highly skilled:

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=117010988653712000

BTW....Jordan Theodore not being in their top 100 is just ridiculous. He's in the 50's with Rivals.

RebornZag
04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Andy is at #51 on Rivals.com
Jordan Theodore is #56 on Rivals.com

bayzag09
04-06-2007, 12:21 PM
look at ohio state....how does matta do it?

Rubbadub
04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
how'd he do what?

CDC84
04-06-2007, 12:50 PM
look at ohio state....how does matta do it

Matta has always been a top notch recruiter. He was able to land a succession of players at Xavier that normally would go to upper level BCS schools. Now that he has the resources of one of the largest and most profitable athletic departments in the country, he's cleaning up. Moreover, the state of Ohio is immensely rich in prep talent. He's a good guy to play for too...very much a player's coach.

bayzag09
04-06-2007, 02:11 PM
how'd he do what?

2008 Class of Commitments:

CJ Mullens-Center, ranked 7th overall
Anthony Carter-PG, ranked 11th overall
William Buford-SG, ranked 12th overall
Luke Babbit-PF, ranked 18th overall
Walter Offutt-SG, ranked 87th overall

Matta is amazing

Bocco
04-06-2007, 02:39 PM
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2008

They consider him a 3-star recruit now.:(

Lets hope that his health issues are resolved and he has a good senior season.

jake
04-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Andy, was only honorable mention all-state in Oregon, so the fact that he's not in the top-100 isn't surprising. I'm actually more surprised that Rivals would still have him at #51. Is that an updated ranking?

This is not intended to be overly critical of Poling, but even healthy, I'm not sure he's a top-50 player. He does have a lot of potential though because he is more skilled than most high school big guys. I see him as a likely first-year redshirt. The problem he'll have going forward is is biggest weakness has always been his strength. He was a very skilled, but weak, sophomore which isn't atypical. However, the expectation would have been that he would have put on strength from his sophomore year to junior year and would continue that to his senior year. With the health problems he had last year, he's still, at best, at the same strength/bulk level he was as a sophomore, but he's now at the end of his junior year.

His timeline may have been pushed back a year, but if he has his weight/health problems straightened out, he should still be a quality recruit for GU.

CDC84
04-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Andy, was only honorable mention all-state in Oregon, so the fact that he's not in the top-100 isn't surprising. I'm actually more surprised that Rivals would still have him at #51. Is that an updated ranking?

The Rivals ranking is a fairly recent ranking update. He used to be at #21 with Rivals. Andy also used to be at #4 (!!) with Hoopmasters. He has since slid to #45.

I think what this shows is that there are still analysts who are holding out hope for him as a prospect in the long term. I know that Jerry Meyer at Rivals is aware of Andy's health issues.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Jake be careful, you're on thin ice. I was banned for 24 hours for posting an almost identical thread despite having been a 4 year poster and never even once received a previous warning for any of my posts. Pollyana group think only please. You've been warned. ;)

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Actually Jake, rereading your post I was incorrect. I was harsher on Polings potential than you were so disregard previous warning.

MiamiZags
04-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Now that he has the resources of one of the largest and most profitable athletic departments in the country, he's cleaning up.

I personally wouldn't use the word "clean" and Ohio State's athletic program in the same sentence.

Nevtelen
04-07-2007, 09:25 AM

This is not intended to be overly critical of Poling, but even healthy, I'm not sure he's a top-50 player. He does have a lot of potential though because he is more skilled than most high school big guys. I see him as a likely first-year redshirt. The problem he'll have going forward is is biggest weakness has always been his strength. He was a very skilled, but weak, sophomore which isn't atypical. However, the expectation would have been that he would have put on strength from his sophomore year to junior year and would continue that to his senior year. With the health problems he had last year, he's still, at best, at the same strength/bulk level he was as a sophomore, but he's now at the end of his junior year.

His timeline may have been pushed back a year, but if he has his weight/health problems straightened out, he should still be a quality recruit for GU.

I wouldn't have otherwise thought he'd be red-shirted, but depending on what his strength and conditioning level is coming in, Polig very well might benefit from a redshirt year and the team would still have Sacre and Theo (and maybe Foster) at the C position. That would allow him to bulk up and not worry about producing immediatly while still benefiting from practice with a really strong C like Sacre - good for all parties involved.

BroncoZAG615
04-07-2007, 09:52 AM
I personally wouldn't use the word "clean" and Ohio State's athletic program in the same sentence.

:) ironic coming from a hurricane sports fan ;)

zagster318
04-07-2007, 11:51 AM
:) ironic coming from a hurricane sports fan ;)

He's probably still upset by that phantom pass interference call against Miami in the 2002 championship game versus OSU.

NJZag
04-07-2007, 11:55 AM
It's obvious that tOSU is locking up the in-state talent and the midwest talent.

Mullens-Center, ranked 7th overall from OHIO
Anthony Carter-PG, ranked 11th overall from Flint, MICHIGAN
William Buford-SG, ranked 12th overall from Toledo, OHIO
Luke Babbit-PF, ranked 18th overall from Reno, NEVADA
Walter Offutt-SG, ranked 87th overall from Indianapolis, INDIANA

Matta is from Illinois, played in Indiana (Butler) and has assistants who have ties to midwest. Nothing "remarkable" about any of them, except that assistant Dan Peters has had some *cough* "Huggie time" *cough* both in the 1980's and then again in the late 1990's to around 2003 with Huggins at Cincinnati.

Even the people that run these recruiting and ranking services admit that things get highly subjective once you get out of the top 25 or 50. They also admit that a verbal commitment to one program might increase the the ranking they assign to a player, while a commit to another program might decrease it.

It's always fun to compare Wooden All-Americans at the end of a collegiate career with who the top-ranked players were four years before.

NJZag
04-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Taking a look back -- this year's 10 Wooden All-Americans and their rankings coming out of high school

Greg Oden (Ohio State) #1 in 2006
Kevin Durant (Texas), #2 in 2006
Tyler Hansbrough (North Carolina) #10 in 2005
Brandon Rush (Kansas) #13 in 2005
Arron Afflalo (UCLA) #26 in 2004
Aaron Brooks (Oregon) #34 in 2003
Joakim Noah (Florida) #75 in 2004
Nick Fazekas (Nevada) NOT RANKED in 2003
Acie Law (Texas A&M) NOT RANKED in 2003
Alando Tucker (Wisconsin) NOT RANKED in 2002

btzag
04-07-2007, 01:23 PM
And without the new rule on high school kids going straight to the pro's Durant and Oden might not have even been in college and on this list....