PDA

View Full Version : OT - Ex-Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie picks up another DUI

CDC84
08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4425751

The arrest marks at least the third time Gillispie has been cited for driving under the influence.

Lots of craziness in Kentucky.....Calipari, the Pitino case, and now this.........

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Here's a pretty good explanation of what Billy's looking at in terms of jail time, fines, ect.

http://www.louisville-dui-criminal.com/DUI-Kentucky-3rd.htm

EDIT: After more careful reading on my part, looks like the first DUI arrest was in 1999 and pleaded down to reckless 1. Also, the second DUI arrest didn't stick, for whatever reason. Consequently, this page gives a better explanation of what Billy's looking at for a prison term, fines, ect.

http://www.louisville-dui-criminal.com/DUI-Kentucky-1st.htm

75Zag
08-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I am told that alcoholism is a disease and that someone with 3 DUI arrests is most likely an alcoholic. Whether or not that is true, I hope Mr. Gillispie seeks out and receives appropriate treatment and that he stays off the roads if he is going to continue to drink.

CDC84
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
At least one major college basketball writer has said that Gillispie is now permanently "unhirable" as a head basketball coach at the D-1 level. He needed to keep his nose clean after his two previous arrests in order to get a decent job....especially coming off his strange experiences at UK.

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I hope Mr. Gillispie seeks out and receives appropriate treatment

In all likelihood, court will require him to get an alcohol evaluation and subsequent treatment from a state-approved treatment agency (at least that's the norm for most western states). Then again, Billy likely did that when he pleaded guilty to reckless driving in 1999, and that didn't seem to do any good.

dim4sum
08-27-2009, 03:29 PM
These guys are just big mouth fakes. If the truth were known there are probably more indiscretions than mere DUIs. just a gut feeling, since i dont
trust the lot of them.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
At least one major college basketball writer has said that Gillispie is now permanently "unhirable" as a head basketball coach at the D-1 level. He needed to keep his nose clean after his two previous arrests in order to get a decent job....especially coming off his strange experiences at UK.

Gillespie is not unhirable. The man built a winning program at Texas A&M in a very short time. Somebody will give him a chance. Some school that is desperate to reclaim past glories or build a strong program from the ground up will give him a chance.

Forgive my cynicism, but Kelvin Sampson and John Calipari signed on at two of the top programs in the country - Indiana and Kentucky, while those men were under investigation for some pretty serious NCAA infractions. Rick Pitino still has a job and the full support of his university administration at Louisville despite his recent scandal.

The fans, alumni and administrations of a lot of schools will ignore a coach's off-court problems as long as he can bring the right recruits to the campus and win a lot of games for Good 'Ol State U. If Gillespie was winning SEC titles and getting Kentucky to the Final Four, he'd still have a job at UK and the Bluegrass Nation would have rallied to his support.

CDC84
08-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Andy Katz thinks Gillispie is going to have a real problem becoming a head coach in the near future:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4426963&name=katz_andy

One athletic director who is well connected in the Midwest and West and would have considered Gillispie for an opening in the future, said Thursday that as soon as he saw Gillispie's name back in the news: "I found myself thinking, 'Can this guy be hired?' I think an AD would have to think long and hard about the community he's in. Drinking and driving is such a big issue." The athletic director, who asked to remain anonymous, said the DUI charge is the one transgression that could keep Gillispie from being hired. "Lawsuits and litigation happen; contracts can have ambiguity, and there can be different interpretations," the athletic director said. "To me, the DUI is much more problematic. There's no question that if a job came open and you had two candidates, it would be hard to hire him. There are so many good candidates out there with less baggage." But who knows, someone may take a chance on him. My guess is that it will be a while and it won't be the job he wants."

As does Decourcy at TSN:

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-08-27/starting-five-pitinos-outburst-could-backfire

No. 1 is obviously Gillispie. He already had two DUIs in his past from several years ago, plus the difficult tenure while he coached UK. In order to get back into college coaching, he needed to keep his record clean and allow athletic administrators to remember he once had terrific success at Texas A&M and UTEP, two difficult jobs. It is not going to be easy for him to become a college head coach again.

The only way Billy G. is going to get back into it, IMO, is if he becomes an assistant again to rebuild his reputation. I think you are underestimating the impact of what he's done MCMM. No matter how much success he had at UTEP and Texas A&M, he's been nailed for drunk driving three different times. You can take Sampson's and Pitino's mistakes, combine them, and they are nowhere near as serious as what Gillispie has done. He's endangered the lives of innocent human beings on 3 separate occasions, and he might be serving time due to it. Athletic directors are going to have problems with this.

BTW - I also do not believe (as do many others) that Gillispie was let loose by UK because he wasn't winning games. As crazy as the UK fans can be, they knew that Tubby Smith ran their program into the ground with his lazy recruiting, and that it was going to take Gillispie a few years to get the ship back on course again. Billy G. was starting to bring in the kinds of players that could win national titles. The problem with Billy G. was his abrasive personality, his inability to handle the media, and various personality clashes that he had with members of UK's administration. Handling that kind of stuff is just as important as winning basketball games at Kentucky.

Lastly, all of this garbage would've been avoided if UK would've pursued Tom Crean in the first place after Tubby was sent packing. Crean had and still has everything that you need in a Kentucky basketball coach. They blew it by not getting him.