PDA

View Full Version : RTC: Zags receive "honorable mention"

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Rush The Court published an article ranking the top ten "Teams of the 2000s." Although not making that list, the Zags do, however, receive an honorable mention.

http://rushthecourt.net/2009/08/23/team-of-the-2000s-wrap-up-and-honorable-mention/

Gonzaga. The Zags undoubtedly were the most successful mid-major of the decade (moreso than Xavier and Butler), but their overall profile simply didn’t have enough juice to vault Gonzaga into the top ten. They dominated the WCC, winning the league eight times en route to an average of 26+ wins per year, an outstanding 80% winning percentage, and ten straight NCAA appearances. But when it came to the NCAAs, Mark Few’s squads were only able to make it to the Sweet Sixteen four times. And how many times in the decade were they able to advance past the third round? Um, try zero. Nevertheless, we believe that Gonzaga rates a tick higher than other such notable programs as Louisville, Wisconsin, Arizona and Oklahoma (all of whom made one F4) because they were so consistently good despite their scheduling limitations. The worst Zag team (2006-07) still had 23 wins, and as a result of the weaker schedule of the WCC, their average NCAA seed was easily one of the lowest on our list. Yet, as we all know, Gonzaga has tried to load up on high-impact RPI games during the nonconference slate, and we give them credit for that. Fans of the other programs may quibble with this selection, but we can live with including at least one mid-major for consideration as the Team of the 2000s, and Gonzaga is our choice.

lothar98zag
08-24-2009, 12:50 PM
w/ no FF trips, this ranking works for me. thanks for the link.

sittingon50
08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Pretty decent analysis, compared to some things we have seen.

Reborn
08-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks for a great thread. I really enjoyed it. I was surprised to see we are ahead of Arizona. It's Really amazing how others view the Zags, and I think higher than many ZAG fans do. When I stop and think about what the coaches have accomplished at Gonzaga, I still shake my head a little and wonder if I am dreaming. I can't tell you how many dreams I've had in my lifetime about me playing basketball at Gonzaga. A lot; and it's one of my all time favorite dreams. It feels really great to play for them; and I always do well. And then I unfortunately wake up; and laugh a little.

I think to continue to be on this list we will have to make it back to the Elite 8 pretty soon, as well as a final 4 really. I think it's coming too. Soon.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-25-2009, 05:08 AM
Honorable Mention sounds about right. I think that the Zags were among the Top 15 programs in the country (or Sweet 16) over the past decade, but probably not a Top-10. I would have added Texas to the Honorable Mention list to round out 15.

DADoZAG
08-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks for a great thread. I really enjoyed it. I was surprised to see we are ahead of Arizona. It's Really amazing how others view the Zags, and I think higher than many ZAG fans do. When I stop and think about what the coaches have accomplished at Gonzaga, I still shake my head a little and wonder if I am dreaming. I can't tell you how many dreams I've had in my lifetime about me playing basketball at Gonzaga. A lot; and it's one of my all time favorite dreams. It feels really great to play for them; and I always do well. And then I unfortunately wake up; and laugh a little.

I think to continue to be on this list we will have to make it back to the Elite 8 pretty soon, as well as a final 4 really. I think it's coming too. Soon.

Absolutely, Reborn. It's so warming to see national respect.

Credits to Coach Few and all his staff. How blessed we are to have this program to enrich our lives.

Go ZAGS, to the FF!