PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith and Tony Wroten to Play Football this Fall

ZagNative
08-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Whoa! http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/confused.gif

From the Seattle-Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2009693485_ringer20.html):

Kentwood's Joshua Smith, Garfield's Tony Wroten to play football
Two of nation's top high-school basketball stars plan to turn out for football Monday.

By Sandy Ringer
Seattle Times staff reporter

Joshua Smith of Kentwood and Tony Wroten Jr. of Garfield, two of the nation's top high-school basketball recruits, plan to turn out for football Monday, their parents confirmed Wednesday.

Both had an understandable reason for missing today's opening practices: They are in New York for the Elite 24 Classic, which will be played Saturday.

Smith, ranked as the No. 1 senior center in the country by ESPN.com at 6 feet 10, 280 pounds, participated in spring football drills at Kentwood and is expected to play on the offensive line, according to football coach Rex Norris. Norris called Smith "impressive."

"He's an optical illusion," Norris said. "You don't see 6-10 football players running around."

Smith last played organized football in eighth grade and was a tight end, according to his father, Ernest.

"It's his senior year," his father said. "I told him to go for it."Wow! And I thought I should have had my parental credentials lifted back in '81 for letting my HS sophomore son make that drive to Pullman on a school night to see George Thorogood ...

N texas 509er
08-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Wow - I agree! Wonder if there was a verbal out there if there might be more of that "parental guidance"

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I actually like seeing that both Tony and Josh will be playing football. There's always a risk for injury, whether its playing HS football or pick-up basketball games, and life's too short to worry about getting hurt. Also, a little pigskin hould help these guys with their toughness.

MickMick
08-23-2009, 08:07 PM
They are young men enjoying their high school experience. They will never get the opportunity again.

Bravo

WestsideZag2424
08-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I saw this and realized that a lot of people will probably disagree with their decisions. But I say good for them. They should do what they want, and I've always felt that there are many positives to playing multiple sports

Vanzagger
08-23-2009, 10:32 PM
you guys.

Can you imagine drawing up some tackle eligible plays for someone that tall with good hands and feet. Just wouldn't be fair.

Smell that crispness in the air? Yep. It's time to put the pads on.

vz

Angelo Roncalli
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
After he committed to Gonzaga, Blake Stepp decided to play quarterback his senior year. Mark Few encouraged him.

Birddog
08-24-2009, 05:01 AM
Wow! And I thought I should have had my parental credentials lifted back in '81 for letting my HS sophomore son make that drive to Pullman on a school night to see George Thorogood ..

That was the "50 dates in 50 states" tour. I'm still sorry I missed the Albuquerque show. IIRC, they scheduled 50 shows in 50 states on consecutive days. Quite an undertaking.

kitzbuel
08-24-2009, 05:34 AM
They are young men enjoying their high school experience. They will never get the opportunity again.

Bravo:agreed:

You only get to be in High School once. Go be a football star and have fun at your Senior Prom. There is a whole lifetime for more serious stuff later.

wiszag
08-24-2009, 07:05 AM
George Thoroughgood, 50 states in 50 days, coupled with Wisconsin's 18 year old drinking age made for an interesting night in Madison. Good times.

It would've been interesting if Brock Osweiler's parents would've insisted that he not take that chance of getting injured and blowing a scholarship.

I hope Smith and Wroten play and have the time of their lives.

cjm720
08-24-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't live a conservative, risk free life. Actually quite the opposite. But if I was two years away from possibly making millions and all I had to do was play hoops, improve, and stay healthy, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't play football. That said, the only football game I've ever played in was when I was 12 and my best friend broke his femur.

Best of luck to these young men. Stay healthy (and Smith, feel free to apply to Gonzaga).

Go Zags!!