PDA

View Full Version : Meech's production this year

WestsideZag2424
08-23-2009, 02:21 AM
I'd like to hear what some people think about how well Meech will produce this year knowing he's gonna be running the point. With his speed he can drive past a lot of people and make almost every defensive rebound into a fast break.

I'm thinking maybe double digit points and (probably more importantly) around 5 or 6 (maybe even 7?) assists a game

What do some people think?

Thomas_Sutpen
08-23-2009, 07:23 AM
I think Meech will have a good year, but considering that in many half-court situations the ball will be in Matt's hands, I don't see Meech's numbers coming out that high.

The number of assists is not as important as achieving a 2/1 assist to TO ratio, but I'll bet he'll get 5 or 6 a game.

As for points, 6 or 7 would be super. Frankly, if Meech is getting to 10 a game, there are other guys who probably should be getting more shots.

Mostly what he needs to do is build consistency and confidence for the future.

MickMick
08-23-2009, 07:49 AM
I look for Meech to score best against up-tempo type teams.

The teams that slow it down and/or send back defenders early (placing more importance on that than offensive rebounds) will present a different side of Meech. In that case, the good ball distribution skills will be on display.

And of course he will always be quick on the defensive end. I think of him like a "shut down" cover cornerback in football. Put him on the best receiver and force the offensive to go elsewhere. That is where Meech will shine.

He is a versatile player that helps in many subtle ways.

bartruff1
08-23-2009, 08:27 AM
pg.....7.........ass.......4........to......4..... .rb.......2.....very good year and much fun to watch most of the time.....and some pain.. now....what Westside ask was " What do you think "?....not " what do you think about what others think ".....there is no need to disagree or criticize...just offer your opinion...play nice...don't throw sand...

BobZag
08-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Meech is supposed to be a good outside shooter. That's what Ive been told this offseason. But I want to see for myself before making any definitive statements.

I agree with Mick, he'll especially thrive in uptempo games. The kid is so fast.

Reborn
08-23-2009, 10:47 AM
If Meech can score that will be awesome. The Zags will certainly be looking for players who can score, and those who can will be impact players. Gonzaga is losing just over 50 pts per game, and that's a huge whole to fill. Meech's strongest point, I think, is his defense. And that will make a difference, as I think Pargo really had a tough time stopping point guards who could score. I also think that for a Freshman he handled the ball very well, and constantly put pressure on defenses. I look for Meech to score around 9 points per game, just a little under Pargo's production last year.

zagamatic
08-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I know I'm gonna catch some flack for this, but I actually expect Meech to do better than Pargo THIS YEAR. Let me explain. In the Memphis game, where Pargo made a few bad plays and pretty much gave up, Meech came in and PLAYED till the bitter end as long as he was on the floor. I have to admit, I can't remember who finished the game.
Also, in the tourney, when he took the ball the length of the floor, he didn't have to think about it. His INSTINCT was to take the ball to the hoop unless someone stopped him. And that's just it, I don't see anyone on the Gonzaga team stopping him from doing what he does. Especially after a year of studying under Stockton, Pargo and Bouldin.
Another thing, I clearly remember Coach Few saying that "Meech is our best finisher around the rim". I also clearly remember him throwing Heytvelt a perfect, over-the-shoulder pass the full length of the court that led to an easy bucket.
More importantly, I don't remember him hanging his head when he made a mistake. To me, he seems to have a very short memory. Quite frankly, that's the reason Pargo is NOT playing in the NBA this year. Anytime he made a bad play or two, you may as well have just benched him. He had all the talent necessary, except the ability to play the game one play at a time and not let one bad play become two, three, etc....
Anyway, this is all just my opinion. And granted, we didn't get to see him all that much last year. But, what I saw, I really, really liked!

Nevtelen
08-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Meech is supposed to be a good outside shooter. That's what Ive been told this offseason. But I want to see for myself before making any definitive statements.

I agree with Mick, he'll especially thrive in uptempo games. The kid is so fast.

Wow - he was NOT a strong shooter last season, so if he's made himself into one, that would be fantastic! He will definitely get some open looks with his speed as Bouldin will rightly draw a lot of coverage from defenders.

My guess is around 8 ppg and, since Bouldin will probably be running a lot of the half-court stuff, around 4.5 assists. I also think he'll average 3 TOs, but a lot will not necessarily be his fault per se, just teammates who aren't yet on the same page from lack of familiarity (and I think his TOs will drop off towards the end of the season). If he really does have a strong outside shot, he might get as high as 10-12 ppg.

gamagin
08-23-2009, 01:06 PM
but he is still a soph with very little, weight-on-his-shoulders, experience.

I believe he will be a quick study but he will be up against many seasoned players that will do everything to get him out of his game. Or maybe even try not let him get started. He still seems to have a bit of the street ball mentality in him when it comes to teamwork.

If I were playing against him, I'd be working to frustrate & make him mad, having seen him show no fear against any opponent. The wily vets likely will be looking for all those buttons and will be pushing, especially if he appears to be a threat, which I hope he will be.

Otoh, his level of maturity, like his quickness, I predict, will be on a fast track. He seems like a quick study and he has the possibility of being positively electric at times. temper that a little if he's the p.g. and we've got real player on our hands.

But it will take time, much more experience and patience, i believe.

dim4sum
08-23-2009, 03:42 PM
I hope our many bigs can get up the floor quickly a la Meech. If not, we'll have a real disconnect--that is, a mercury quick PG and sluggish bigs unable or too slow to field brilliant passes. Can Sacre, Dower, Kelly, Poling, etc. keep up with him. That's one of the big mysteries as we enter a new season.

WestsideZag2424
08-23-2009, 08:41 PM
I look for Meech to score best against up-tempo type teams.

The teams that slow it down and/or send back defenders early (placing more importance on that than offensive rebounds) will present a different side of Meech. In that case, the good ball distribution skills will be on display.

And of course he will always be quick on the defensive end. I think of him like a "shut down" cover cornerback in football. Put him on the best receiver and force the offensive to go elsewhere. That is where Meech will shine.

He is a versatile player that helps in many subtle ways.

Funny that you call him a shut down cornerback, because he used to play corner early in high school. He told me that he thought for awhile about joining his brother at Texas A&M to play cornerback.

WestsideZag2424
08-23-2009, 08:47 PM
I hope our many bigs can get up the floor quickly a la Meech. If not, we'll have a real disconnect--that is, a mercury quick PG and sluggish bigs unable or too slow to field brilliant passes. Can Sacre, Dower, Kelly, Poling, etc. keep up with him. That's one of the big mysteries as we enter a new season.

Of course it would be nice to have bigs that can make it down court in transition quickly, but i don't think it will be too critical. Lots of the time last year Meech would be able to create a fast break purely with his speed. When he got to the lane and the defense collapsed on him he would then kick it to perimeter shooters. I could see Matt (not even including Steve and others) getting 2-3 open 3pt opportunities per game just from this, which sounds good to me.

zag67
08-23-2009, 09:02 PM
I think that Meech's sucess this year will be on bringing the ball up quickly (create the uptempo), getting the ball to the correct player in the flow (so that they can get off smooth shots), and then driving for the shot. Keep the turnovers down and assists up ( I also would like the 2/1 ration). Lastly, use his speed on the defensive end to cause some caos and get the turnovers. I think that he should be able to play full out, knowing that GJ is backing him up.

tyra
08-24-2009, 12:39 AM
on his free throw shooting percentage. Especially as the PG with wheels who likes to finish around the rim.

DADoZAG
08-24-2009, 07:48 AM
--that is, a mercury quick PG and sluggish bigs unable or too slow to field brilliant passes. Can Sacre, Dower, Kelly, Poling, etc. keep up with him.

The bigs need only be as fast or faster than the opposition's bigs. But I don't believe our bigs will be "slow", by any means, or that there will be a disconnect. Trailing a break has it's place, too.

The true breaks will utilize the athletic depth we now have in the wing. Run, baby, run!

Go ZAGS!

zaguarxj
08-24-2009, 10:03 AM

The reports on Dower are that he has great hands. I don't care how fast the bigs are, just that they can catch the ball and finish (like JP Batista). That was the frustrating thing about Kuso -- when someone made a nice feed, he often didn't catch the ball.

titopoet
08-24-2009, 11:15 AM
I also hope the bigs rebound better than last season. Few had to ask his guards to stay and defensively rebound, because that was not a team strength. If the bigs, Poling, Sacre, Dower, Harris can clear the glass, it will open up Meech to receive the outlet pass and not stay on the defense side as Pargo, Bouldin and the rest of the guards were force to last season. This would lead to more points, assists and less turnovers for Meech. Since the bigs are a question mark at this point, if Meech and the rest the guards have to say in to rebound, 8pts 3.5as 2.5 to 5reb, if not 11pts, 5.5as, 2to 2reb and the team actually increasing in scoring (more fastbreak points and more positions)

Like so many times on the basketball court, his production will depend on the team concept and how his other teammates perform.

Nevtelen
08-24-2009, 01:43 PM
The reports on Dower are that he has great hands. I don't care how fast the bigs are, just that they can catch the ball and finish (like JP Batista). That was the frustrating thing about Kuso -- when someone made a nice feed, he often didn't catch the ball.

I really hope Sacre has worked on that. That was one of his big problems his freshman year - he had hands of stone. If he as improved his hands and his D (I think the D, at least, is very likely to have improved significantly), he'll be very good down low. I remember him being a strong rebounder and definitely running well.

BobZag
08-24-2009, 03:48 PM
http://scholfieldap.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/upward_trend_chart.jpg

cjm720
08-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Meech needs to concentrate on running the team (assists) with intelligence (few turnovers). I think Tyra nailed it...much of Meech's scoring will come from the FT line. He's agressive to the rim and thrives off contact. If he can shoot 75% from the line, I expect 8-9 pts a game with 5-6 assists. We have so many offensive threats, if Meech can create mismatches and deliver dimes (rather than look for his shot), his development and the teams success will seem easy.

One of the nice things about having GJV is that Meech can always be agressive on the defensive end, which he obviously enjoys and thrives at.

Go Zags!!!