PDA

View Full Version : Steven Gray

Reborn
08-22-2009, 08:46 AM
I've watched all games the Zags played in the NCAA tournament again this week, focussing mostly on Gray, Bouldin and Meech. I think Steven will be ready for the next step up as a Junior at Gonzaga. For some Zags this seems to be the best year, and better than the two previous ones. I'm excited to see all the things Steven will do this year. I'm hoping that he can average the 13.7 points a game that Matt did last year. I think when Steven got the minutes and playing time last year that he did quite well. I think he has the whole package. HE has good size, good speed, defends well, rebounds okay, and can really shoot. I think, and hope, that he gets to be a steady 30 minutes a game. He needs that consistency.

GoZags
08-22-2009, 08:53 AM
With the torn ligaments/cartilage in Steven's shooting wrist fully healed (injured at Utah Dec. 31 last season) -- I'm hoping for great things from him.

When all is said and done -- he has a chance to be one of the alltime classic Zags.

MickMick
08-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Gray's game against UConn last season showed me all I need to see. He is a terrific ball player. With two years to go, he will be getting his share of national attention before he is through at Gonzaga.

Rbo
08-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Gray's game against UConn last season showed me all I need to see. He is a terrific ball player. With two years to go, he will be getting his share of national attention before he is through at Gonzaga.

Agreed! He proved he could take it strong to the hole against UCONN. If he mixes the power drives with the three-point accuracy he's shown in the past, he will be one tough hombre to defend.

CDC84
08-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I think that Bol Kong, Kelly Olynyk and Manny Arop could be the greatest thing that has ever happened to Steven Gray. Their presence in practice and in games will motivate Steven to bring it every single game. He has a lot of ability that we have not seen yet.

Some of the up and down nature of his play relates to that hand injury, but it's also a mental thing. As commentators ranging from Jay Bilas to Seth Davis have pointed out, he needs to develop a consistent take no prisoners mentality if he wants to be the player that he's capable of being. Few has suggested the same thing in various articles. He's a very talented player...he's not just a shooter - he's got a 40 inch vertical, and as he showed time and again in that UConn game, he can put the ball on the floor to keep defenses honest so that they can't crowd the 3 point line.

He also needs to continue to develop as a defender. I felt that his defense was substandard throughout much of WCC play last season, which was kind of disappointing to me because it looked like after his freshman year that he could really blossom into being not necessarily a great wing defender, but certainly a guy that you wouldn't have problems sticking on a talented wing scorer.

MickMick
08-22-2009, 04:03 PM
My own personal view is that there were one too many "stars" on the team last year.

Gray will be the focus of many more offensive plays by design.

When the opposition arrives ready to take away Matt, Gray will likely be option number two. That wasn't the case last season. One could even argue that he should be option number one.

I think he makes a big offensive splash. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he drops 25+ points several times.

cjm720
08-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I think that Bol Kong, Kelly Olynyk and Manny Arop could be the greatest thing that has ever happened to Steven Gray. Their presence in practice and in games will motivate Steven to bring it every single game.

Great point.

He's a lock for all-conference if he can stay healthy. He hasn't had a full season of health yet. He;s a do everyting guard that has proved he's clutch and has the ability to take over a game. I see 16/game if he can get close to 30 minutes. (But Manny might have something to say about that).

Go Zags!!!!