PDA

View Full Version : Fazekas not exactly thankful for what Nevada has given him

CDC84
04-06-2007, 08:01 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2828058

This little act on his part will hurt Nevada's APR rating, which could have consequences later on down the line when the NCAA starts punishing programs whose players are failing to show academic progress.

Fazekas has a different attitude from a guy like Kevin Durant (and several other guys) who will complete his school work this semester so that if he bails early, Texas won't be hurt. In my opinion, Fazekas has even more of an obligation to complete his school work and not hurt NV's program because he wouldn't be a NBA prospect if it weren't for the coaching of Mark Fox and his staff. Very disappointing.

RenoZag
04-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Fazekas gave his all on the court for four years, leaves the school as the all-time leading scorer in school and conference history, helped put UNR on the national map and put a lot of fannies in the seats at Lawlor during his tenure.
He's as entitled to pursue a livelihood as the next guy.

mtzaga
04-06-2007, 08:19 AM
He is dropping out with less than two months to go? My guess is that he wasn't going to graduate.

VanZagar
04-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Fazekas needs to work on his game more than his school work right now. His next employer will be more interested in that than his degree. He needs to work hard go to the tryout camps etc. It's a loaded draft this year. He doesn't want to fall into the second round. Nevada has made a ton of money off Fazekas and scored a ton of recognition. He did them a favor by coming back this year; would have been a much higher pick last year. He doesn't owe Nevada anything more.

CDC84
04-06-2007, 08:35 AM
He's as entitled to pursue a livelihood as the next guy.

But he can still do that and finish the semester at Nevada. He has just one month of school left. The semester ends in early May. There will be countless others in this draft that will make the choice to finish out their semester and get ready for the draft camps at the same time. And many of these kids won't be getting college degrees. That isn't the issue.

Look, I have absolutely no problem with kids leaving early for the NBA even after just one year in college. If you know my posting history, you know that. But I feel very, very strongly that with the APR in place, and with programs potentially losing scholarships and getting postseason bans for low APR ratings, that kids have an obligation to finish their current semester. I think to not do this is an act of disloyalty to the program. Especially when you are so close to finishing the semester.

I don't blame Mark Fox for being disappointed. And I know his disappointment really doesn't have to do with Nick not graduating, because he can easily make up those courses during the NBA offseason to complete his degree. Fox's disappointment has to do with the fact that his program is going to take an APR hit....a hit that is so unnecessary.

Folks, there are going to be dozens of programs in the next few years that will have reduced scholarships and who won't be playing in the NCAA tourney because of this APR thing. It's serious stuff. It doesn't take many guys doing what Fazekas has done for the NCAA to start coming after you.

ZagNative
04-06-2007, 09:03 AM
GU's 04-05 APR = 980

Nevada's APR = 917

Nevada was already under the 925 NCAA minimum below which the school is in danger of losing scholarships as an NCAA-imposed penalty.

CDC84
04-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Nevada was already under the 925 NCAA minimum below which the school is in danger of losing scholarships as an NCAA-imposed penalty.

Yep. And Nick’s actions will just hurt that rating even more. It’s just one more month of school....if he completes just one more month of school, Fox's program doesn't get dinged. Nick is not going to hurt his NBA stock by just hanging on for another month. He isn't practicing with the team or playing games.....he has the time to prepare for the draft and go to school at the same time.

The text below comes from a front page cover story from Sports Illustrated dated Feb 19, 2007. It talks about the impact of the APR and kids that are leaving school early for the draft:

Yet there is one area in which Durant vows he'll be different from Anthony, who withdrew from classes at Syracuse soon after announcing he was leaving for the NBA. "Let's say I did turn pro [after this season]," says Durant. "I'd still go to class anyway because I wouldn't want to jeopardize my team. If I stop going to classes they can lose scholarships." Indeed, according to the NCAA's new formula to determine progress toward graduation, the Academic Progress Rating, Texas won't be penalized if Durant leaves after the school year for the NBA, as long as his eligibility remains intact. Other players may not have Durant's sense of obligation, though.

sonuvazag
04-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Here's my vote on Fazekas: Wanker. And not a sure thing for the NBA.
Here's my vote on Durant: Angel. Maybe better than Jordan one day.

Wolkster
04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
>Here's my vote on Fazekas: Wanker. And not a sure thing for the NBA.

He's an ass. I've never liked him and I really couldn't stand once I heard his, "It's only Gonzaga" comment after they beat GU this year. Like Nevada was expected to beat GU every time they played.

VanZagar
04-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I think Fazekus did beat the Zags every time he played us. Since he's not a sure fire NBA guy there's all the more reason to put work ahead of school. Durant is guaranteed; it's easier for him to do the right thing.

RanchZagFan
04-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Here's my vote on sunu and Wolkster: Wankers

VanZagar has it absolutely right. I'm acquainted with Nick and his family and he owes Nevada nothing at this point. Nevada will be in debt to Nick for a long, long time. For a guy who's not a sure fire 1st round pick, the two months leading up to the draft is a full-time job which requires an all day, every day effort. Furthermore, as no worse than the 2nd pick, Durant won't be spending one second in the classroom if he declares for the draft as expected.

Bing
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
"I'm acquainted with Nick and his family...."

Is that kind of like you are acquainted with your fictious son? Or your make believe daughter? Or is this post another one of your belly-laugh jokes?

CDC84
04-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Trust me, Durant won't be spending one second in the classroom if he declares for the draft as expected.

So you are saying he's basically a liar in that SI article? That's nice. I actually happen to think more highly of Durant's character than that, but we'll see if you're right.

Before Durant signed with Texas, Barnes made it very clear to him that he needed him to complete his spring semester course work if he was just going to stay one year. Durant agreed to it. Yes, it isn't a written contract, but I believe Durant will follow through on his promise.

I know for a fact that there are a lot of head coaches that are not offering schoolies to elite prospects unless they agree to such terms. It's a trend that will only increase. Why? Because it's really hard to sell your program to future prospects if it's on NCAA probation due to APR issues.

RanchZagFan
04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Bing, fair enough. However, no matter to me what you or anyone else on this board believes or doesn't believe...it's of no consequence whatsoever. Nonetheless, I'll stand by the SUBSTANCE of my prior post regard Nick Fazekas and Nevada. Do you have anything interesting or noteworthy to add to the discussion?

Asotin
04-06-2007, 01:48 PM
Is this a problem with players like Fazekus or is it a problem with the APR? ;)

former1dog
04-06-2007, 02:10 PM
However, no matter to me what you or anyone else on this board believes or doesn't believe...it's of no consequence whatsoever.

Any real point to posting at all, then RZF? Or do you enjoy frequent conversations with yourself?

If this is truly your sentiment, perhaps you could save everyone the trouble of figuring out that you belong on their ignore lists by just simply going away.

After all, you don't care what we think anyway, correct?

brasszag
04-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm acquainted with Nick and his family and he owes Nevada nothing at this point.

See - you've got it 100% backwards.

Nick owes Nevada everything since they are, very literally, paying for his "lost" spring semester. He owes them for the academic opportunities they've offered, he owes Mark Fox for developing his skill, he owes his teammates for playing their hearts out over the last few years...

If he he was going to pull this ungrateful, immature act, then he should have demonstrated the common courtesy and excused himself from accepting their scholarship for his final semester at the very minimum. He's spit in the face of the rest of those 16,000 UNR students who are actually (surprise!) students...

Good job Nick. Way to make friends on your way out - and potentially cost the university you clearly "used" a scholarship.

sonuvazag
04-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Remember that time we talked about the imaginary situation where someone is blocked/ignored by all and continues posting without knowing that no one was reading his posts? Kind of makes you wonder what kind of person would want to live in such a post-modern conundrum marked by anxiety and futility.

Crickets chirping.

Tell me I'm not in a vacuum? Holla' if you hear me? :adored:

former1dog
04-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Remember that time we talked about the imaginary situation where someone is blocked/ignored by all and continues posting without knowing that no one was reading his posts? Kind of makes you wonder what kind of person would want to live in such a post-modern conundrum marked by anxiety and futility.

Crickets chirping.

Tell me I'm not in a vacuum? Holla' if you hear me? :adored:

:lmao:

:allhail:

CDC84
04-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Is this a problem with players like Fazekus or is it a problem with the APR?

That’s a fair question.

The APR is a new attempt on the NCAA’s part to be able to measure the academic progress of its student-athletes. The reason why it was created is because of all the problems that come from measuring academic progress through graduation rates. The graduation rate formula penalizes programs that:

1) Have kids leave early for the NBA before graduation
2) Have kids that transfer to another program

And it fails to reward programs that graduate jucos and transfers.

If you ask me, the APR is a vast improvement over the old way of doing things. That being said, nothing is going to be perfect.

A kid that is withdrawing from school is withdrawing from school. He isn’t in good academic standing, no matter what the true reasons are for the withdrawal. If you don’t penalize Nevada for Fazekas bailing, then that opens the door to all sorts of problems…like players bailing early, without program penalty, because they are flunking out.

I think the NCAA’s stand is that it can either penalize Nevada for failing to graduate Fazekas, or they can penalize Nevada for Nick failing to complete his course work in the spring semester, which just so happens to be the same semester when he was competing in the NCAA tourney. You have to go for one or the other. The 2nd option clearly has less problems than the former....unless you feel the NCAA should just do away from tracking the academic progress of its student-athletes all together.

Wolkster
04-06-2007, 03:53 PM
>"I'm acquainted with Nick and his family...."

>Is that kind of like you are acquainted with your fictious son? Or your make believe daughter? Or is this post another one of your belly-laugh jokes?

Good point.

I'm Elvis and I can take you to the EXACT spot where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. Plus, my make believe daughter beat his make believe daughter in last week's race.

RanchZagFan
04-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Look, let's try this one more time. I care what folks on the board care about in terms of the substance of the threads and topics being discussed. However, I have no interest in the personal stuff or little immature jabs people like to take on boards such as this one. I love basketball and really enjoy the Zags program for a variety of reasons, and I like to shooting the bull with other hoops fans, whether it be on message boards, the local watering hole or around the water cooler at work.

To the point of the thread. If Nick made a promise to Fox regarding his intentions for the spring semester, he should keep his work...no doubt about it. However, I think Nick has given just as much, and probably more, to UNR than vice versa in terms of attendance, national visibity, NCAA tournament revenue, etc. To me, the APR system is flawed and should be amended to account for the NBA guys who leave in the middle of the applicable spring semester to get ready for the draft. No reason to penalize coaches and schools for a player moving on to his chosen profession.

Re Durant. I'm sure Durant will keep his word to Barnes regarding enrollment for the spring semester. My point is simply that I'm sure the school will work with him in terms of being flexible regarding attendance, etc. for the classes he's taking in the spring.

lothar98zag
04-06-2007, 04:00 PM
The APR is a very good way to measure academic progress of student athletes. It will no longer be a good tool the first time the NCAA tries to penalize a BC$ school for having a low APR.

RanchZagFan
04-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the kind words Wolkster...lovely sentiments.

lothar98zag
04-06-2007, 04:21 PM
RanchZagFan posted today @ 4:56 PM (LINK (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=19527#post19527))

Look, let's try this one more time. I care what folks on the board care about in terms of the substance of the threads and topics being discussed. However, I have no interest in the personal stuff or little immature jabs people like to take on boards such as this one...

RanchZagFan posted today @ 02:43 PM (LINK (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=19502#post19502))

hls97, beautiful...gotta be at least an 8 or 9 on the Bill Simmons unintentional comedy scale. "You sir, are a liar". Absolutely priceless. Tell you what dude, let us all know when you move out of your mom's basement and then maybe I can take your posts seriously. Until then, let's just ignore one another...

VanZagar
04-06-2007, 04:29 PM
My memory fails me. Did Saint Adam finish his spring semester or did he work on his game instead of his classes?

RanchZagFan
04-06-2007, 04:31 PM
lothar, you got me there. I should have let it go with that guy (who called me a pathetic liar BTW), but I succumbed to the temptation to give it back to him one more time. Point taken though. I will say, however, that there is a bit of a MO on this board to attack posters who may take a slightly different position on a given topic than the majority. No worries though...just having a bit of fun here.

Nick's not an ass BTW for what it's worth. Good kid with a very nice extended family, most of whom live in the metro Denver area. Best of luck to him as he makes his way to the association.

maineblackbear
04-06-2007, 04:44 PM
actually rzf you are a pathetic liar-- you made up having a daughter to win an argument-- you made up having a son to win an argument. my advice to you is to make up a new handle, and re-register.

anyway, fazekas is entitled to do what he wants, but it is undeniable that Nevada made him a star (gee, why didn't he go to Duke? Oh, because he wasn't recruited there)-- Nevada gave him that chance and while kudos to him for making the most of it, his behavior will deny that same opportunity (that he benefited from) to others.

adam left while academically eligible.

maineblackbear

brasszag
04-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I'll posit a simple question then.

If the draft is more important than school, why is UNR paying Nick to be a student at this moment?

What is he doing AT THIS MOMENT to earn that scholarship?

siliconzag
04-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Fazekus is a wank. I agree with that sentiment. I watched him several times this year, and two of the games I saw were very painful. In both games he fouled out with the game very much in doubt. One of them was against our beloved Zags. What happened? His team shot our lights out, and we lost. And the same thing against the Creighton Bluejays. They had Nevada on the ropes when Fazekas fouled out and coughed it up. Mr. Kemp took over in both games. He is an amazing ball player and I bet he does have a great career. I don't like Fazekus at all, but it seems he helps his team more sitting on his butt than playing. At least from what I saw.

Sili

PS. I don't like Mark Fox either. He is a first class jerk who intimidates refs and players, and fans. What a hothead.

Sili

Air Force Zag
04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Wow...off the topic of the thread....but in years of lurking (and a little posting), I have never seen one poster shred their own integrity so fast and then wonder why no one takes them at their word.

RenoZag
04-06-2007, 06:03 PM
CDC wrote:

Folks, there are going to be dozens of programs in the next few years that will have reduced scholarships and who won't be playing in the NCAA tourney because of this APR thing. It's serious stuff. It doesn't take many guys doing what Fazekas has done for the NCAA to start coming after you.

Based on the talent level of the incoming classes at GU, do you think the Zags will run afoul of the same issues?
Other thoughts

Would the NCAA be able to implement some sort of financial penalty on scholarship athletes who bail out of school once their seasons are over?
Probably not. Instead, the NCAA whacks the institution with this phoney BS re: APR. The NCAA is about making money. If you told Myles Brand that he could graduate 30% more student athletes per year but it would cost the NCAA 10% of its gross revenue, he would pop a blood vessel running in the opposite direction.

I love college sports and most of the stuff that comes with it. But I don't think the "bottom line" of college athletics has anything to do with graduation rates, progress towards graduation, grade point averages, or anything else. . .it's about M-O-N-E-Y. All the sanctimonious hoo-hah about the purity of the games is baloney.

RanchZagFan
04-06-2007, 07:52 PM
lothar, how 'bout we talk hoops and end the other stuff? Cool with you?

BTW, as an interesting side note, Nick has a cousin who will be a freshman at ThunderRidge HS in Highlands Ranch, CO next year. TRidge is Matt Bouldin's high school, and Nick's cousin has a chance to be a pretty nice player down the road...he certainly has the genes.

An absolutely spot on post RenoZag...great stuff.

To the rest of you guys...it's all good. If you want to shoot the bull on hoops and forget the other stuff, that's cool. If not, that's fine too. I'm certainly not motivated enough to re-register and start over because folks on a message board don't like my style or want to hold a couple of goofy posts I made against me.

sittingon50
04-06-2007, 11:17 PM
VanZagar is right, & Ammo isn't the 1st. Any of the guys that had higher aspirations took off for the camps once their season got over. Someone can correct me, but I'm pretty sure that Richie left without his degree. Matt even had a RS & didn't finish immediately. Paul Roger's left after his Jr. year (supposedly to help pay for father's health issues) & Q just got his degree, 7 yrs after the fact.
Anyone that is on the fringe (including Fazekas) has to try to get ahead of the curve to improve their chances to play at the next level. You can't begrudge a guy trying to maximize his potential earnings in a career with such a small window of opportunity.

Wolkster
04-07-2007, 09:08 AM
RZF writes, "However, I have no interest in the personal stuff or little immature jabs people like to take on boards such as this one."

But the very first time I ever read a post from him, I get this,

"Here's my vote on sunu and Wolkster: Wankers"

So, another lie. He has no interest in personal stuff or immature jabs, but his tenure on this forum is nothing but.

RanchZagFan
04-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Wolkster, you've made your point. Guilty as charged, but moving forward...maybe you can do the same? Let's talk hoops.

Nick looking like a bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd kind of guy. Individual workouts with teams are obviously going to be huge for him. Lotta cash at stake that's for sure.