PDA

View Full Version : Canada Summer Games

uCANdoit
08-16-2009, 08:20 PM
The Canadian Summer games started up today, and as expected Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, and BC all crushed their opponents in convincing fashion. Their probably isn't going to be any competitive games until the semifinals which on one side I think is shaping up to be a Ontario Quebec match up and on the side is likely going to be Alberta and BC. You can go to basketball.ca to find live stats while the games are being played and the tournament website (http://cg2009.gems.pro/Result/Event_PO_T_T.aspx?Event_GUID=8c55aec6-9c2d-4c24-9f07-9cdbca8acb54&SetLanguage=en-CA&SetLanguage=en-CA&SetLanguage=en-CA) has some boxscores for bc and ontario games right now. Also if there are any other canadian fans there is any Ontario game being shown on TSN2 tonight at 1130 pacific time, also there are two quarterfinal games that will be televised on wednesday and the finals will be shown on TSN2 on saturday as well. All in all a lot better coverage than we usually get for these games.

Some players to watch:
Kevin Pangos (Ontario)
Anthony Bennett (Ontario)
Nick Lewis (Ontario)
Jonothan Alexander (Ontario)
Negus Webster-Chan (Ontario)
Kenny Fred Cherry (Quebec)
Jonothan Tshibuy (Quebec)
Kemy Osse (Quebec)
Riley Barker (British Columbia)
Phillip Scrubb (British Columbia)
Marek Klassen (British Columbia)
Colby Maier (British Columbia)
Reese Pribilsky (British Columbia)
Nick Langley (British Columbia)

Of course I am from BC so I know more about their players, and the other teams are things I have heard from scouts. Probably left off some good players from Alberta and other teams but don't know enough about them yet, although I am sure a lot of these players aren't what Gonzaga is wanting to recruit.

Also I should note that both Kevin Pangos and Anthony Bennet had really good games check out the box score; http://cg2009.gems.pro/gems_pictures/Game/a96f1623-03b7-45f6-8e90-84d2b88bbad1.pdf

OZZag
08-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Good post uCANdoit, just one correction for you, regarding the semi-finals in that the most likely scenario will that Quebec and B.C. should end up playing for a chance to play Ontario in the Final.

The Ontario team lead by Pangos (he went 4/5 from the deep today) will be hard to beat. Phil Scrubb had an excellent game for B.C. today hitting 3/3 from 3 point range. For those interested the games can be followed live through the Canada Basketball website if you click on the live games link.

http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/?PHPSESSID=7a7d91f8a7b8a66417f1a1bacffedc40

EBE
08-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Great to see some interest on this thread. However Alberta is not very strong this year and I would expect to see Nova Scotia make the semi's as they just hammered Alberta. I watched Quebec today and they are very impressive and another player to watch from Quebec is #7 Johnathan Tshibuy.

cjm720
08-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Is Pangos the one described as Steven Nash v.2? 2012 or 2011? Hard to keep 'em all straight...great for Candada!

Go Zags!!

lothar98zag
08-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Is Pangos the one described as Steven Nash v.2? 2012 or 2011? Hard to keep 'em all straight...great for Candada!

Go Zags!!
Yep

ronh_pm
08-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Congrats on your 1st win and good luck with your BC team EBE...we are pulling for you all the way.

BobZag
08-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Is Duane Notice there, too?

MississppiZag
08-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Are we recruiting Pangos or any of the other players at this event?

OZZag
08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Is Duane Notice there, too?

No BZ Duane is not on the team, tghese are basically U17 teams, Ontario is fielding a slightly younger side, but Duane is two years younger.

zagballer6
08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Are we recruiting Pangos or any of the other players at this event?

Mississippi, I am not exactly sure where the process is at but I know the Zags know of Pangos and like him.

I have a feeling it won't be long before, a lot of schools are onto him, based on his perfomance at the FIBA U-16 Americas. Hopefully the Zags can get the inside track on him with their Canadian connections.

MississppiZag
08-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks. I agree I hope the staff stays on him.

Any pics of Mr. Pangos? Don't believe I have ever seen him.

thespywhozaggedme
08-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks. I agree I hope the staff stays on him.

Any pics of Mr. Pangos? Don't believe I have ever seen him.

As per your request; Steve Nash 2.0:

http://images.google.com/images?q=kevin+pangos&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=FRKKSqm5D5OXlAf6xqEo&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

OZZag
08-17-2009, 07:57 PM
Ontario cruised through another game today, Pangos had 5 assists 0 turnovers (giving him 11/0 so far) and hit for 11 points (1/2 from the deep).

http://cg2009.gems.pro/gems_pictures/Game/15b01c26-1003-4b42-abf6-12e822d0fe96.pdf

BC scraped by New Brunswick by 2 points 68-66, very poor free throw shooting (14/37) almost causing an upset.

sanders
08-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Nova Scotia knocked off Ontario in the semis this morning in a huge upset, 83-81.

Tyler Scott had 23 for NS, Pangos 24 for Ontario.

http://cg2009.gems.pro/gems_pictures/Game/f54c79b4-60a7-40ec-b5d2-0813154467f3.pdf

sanders
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Quebec over BC in the other semi.

To give you a sense of the magnitude of the NS upset over Ontario, NS has a population of less than a million. Ontario's is 13 million. NS has had two players play Division I NCAA hoops - Kenny Perry at USF a couple years ago, and his Dad, Fred Perry, at Central Connecticut State in the early 90s. Neither lasted very long or made an impact. Ontario has dozens playing every year.

BobZag
08-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Nova Scotia knocked off Ontario in the semis this morning in a huge upset, 83-81.

Tyler Scott had 23 for NS, Pangos 24 for Ontario.

http://cg2009.gems.pro/gems_pictures/Game/f54c79b4-60a7-40ec-b5d2-0813154467f3.pdf

Thanks, sanders. Just proves that old adage true: On any given day...

OZZag
08-20-2009, 06:28 PM

To give you a sense of the magnitude of the NS upset over Ontario, NS has a population of less than a million. Ontario's is 13 million. NS has had two players play Division I NCAA hoops - Kenny Perry at USF a couple years ago, and his Dad, Fred Perry, at Central Connecticut State in the early 90s. Neither lasted very long or made an impact. Ontario has dozens playing every year.

A belated welcome to the board for my fellow Canadian basketball nut!

I am sure you will enjoy the banter and fun here mate!

Regarding the Ontario game, Pangos went 5/9 from the deep and had 9 rebounds and 7 assists.
He had his first turnovers for the entire tournament in this game, probably pushing to hard.
I think he stiil boasts a 4.5:1 assist to turnover ratio.

The core of ther Ontario team is U16 so next year they should cause some serious damage. BC will be in tough, but I hope they hand Ontario their second straight loss....

thespywhozaggedme
08-20-2009, 10:35 PM

And yet Ontario has only had 2 players drafted by an NBA team in the last 20 years; Jamaal Magloire and Denham Brown and Nova Scotia has had 1, Will Njoku, a 6'9 pf from St. Mary's of Halifax; 2nd rd pick of the Pacers in '92, I believe.

In the next 5-7 years there will be more Canadians drafted in the NBA then in the last 40 years; heck, we got four of them on our own team. ;)

sanders
08-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Yeah, the Pacers took Njoku ahead of home town favourite Damon Bailey. I believe it was 94. The draft was in Indianapolis, and the crowd was none too pleased with the selection. The Pacers ended up taking Bailey a few picks later, and in the end it didn't really matter. But at the time it was quite a controversy - taking a guy no one had ever heard of, whose name no one could pronounce, from a Cdn college no one had ever heard of.