PDA

View Full Version : Could this happen?

Gonezagaga
04-05-2007, 10:33 PM
As I understand it Pmac will be able to graduate this May. Hats off to him for that. Also, I know that there was a new rule put in place that players who had redshirted a year and got their degree in 4 years could transfer without sitting out a year. If this rule were to apply to a player that graduated in 3 years without the redshirt year like Pierre, he would be eligible for this as well. Could it be that he might follow a departing assistant coach to SD where one of their biggest needs is PG? Or maybe somewhere closer to home?

Would Billy even ask? Could he even ask?

I'd hate to have to face him.

Just a thought.

Nevtelen
04-05-2007, 11:54 PM
My guess is that Grier couldn't talk to PMAC about that kind of stuff since he's now an opposing coach. Also, I thought that rule was nixed now - no more senior transferring without sitting? Anyone back me up on this or am I crazy?

Anyway, so if PMAC graduates, he could go somewhere else for his MA if he wanted and sit for a year and play for a year. That's two years, so he'd get a free Master's - not a bad deal, if that's what he's interested in. Who knows how it'll turn out.

DrDrivel
04-06-2007, 03:09 AM
That rule was not extended. You are correct.

Birddog
04-06-2007, 04:15 AM
PMAC could play a year at an NAIA school, not sure about DivII or whatever they call it (Western Wash class).

Birddog

Angelo Roncalli
04-06-2007, 04:35 AM
D-2, D-3, NAIA, any level but D-1 or JC.

NJZag
04-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Actually, I think the rule may have gotten rescinded in December. There seemed to be complaints about abuses, with coaches running around trying to "poach players" from active rosters.

As far as the other categories, D-II West Georgia State is where a couple of Zags (Sherrell and Forbes) transferred some years ago, and they started playing immediately. And both went from being reserves at GU to starters at W. Ga. as I recall. There are a lot of D-II basketball programs out there.

http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/d2/mbb.html

Only problem is that none are "brand names" as academic institutions for post-graduate degrees.

Condensing the 4 years of academics into 3 years is an accomplishment for any student. For a student-athlete to do it, with all the time demanded by a sport, is amazing. Someone who is bright enough to do that ought to be looking at Ivy League for graduate school, IMHO. Ivy would provide educational "bang" for later on in REAL life, while also getting playing time at the D-I level and an invite to a Portsmouth Invitational or other "senior showcase tournament" assisting an overseas pro stint.

With the Post-Grad exemption rule now rescinded, a player going to another D-I could use a transfer ineligibility year to get a head start on a Master's degree in the year when classroom time eats up a schedule, and practice with the team. Then the second year -- where time gets spent on writing the Master's Thesis and there's less rigidity to classroom time -- could be spent back at D-I level athletics, going full-tilt.

While the Ivy League is the last bastion of "no athletic scholarships" per se, (and also no conference tournament), they do seem to have a knack for coming up with generous financial aid packages for their athletes. And for post-grads, who can make a showing of being fully emancipated and beyond the FAFSA presumptions demanding disclosure of parental finances, financial aid would be a given.

Dominant UPenn would be a no-brainer choice for a last trip to the NCAA's. I don't know what PMAC is majoring in, but if he wanted to pursue a business/finance Master's, there's a lot of street cred (as in Wall Street) that goes with a UPenn/Wharton School of Finance degree.

Harvard and Princeton are without coaches and risky. Dartmouth is closer to the Canadian border and PMAC's hometown but its hoops are not great. Cornell and Yale are in better shape for hoops.

Final standings of the Ivy League from this past year, as reported by CollegeRPI:

2006-2007 Standings
...................Conference Overall
School............... W L ..... W L
Pennsylvania...... 13 1 .....21 8
Yale................. 10 4 ......13 13
Cornell.............. 9 5........ 15 12
Columbia........... 7 7 ........15 12
Brown............... 6 8.........11 18
Harvard............. 5 9.........12 16
Dartmouth......... 4 10........9 18
Princeton........... 2 12.......11 17

Birddog
04-06-2007, 06:48 AM
NJ, plausible but not likely Most D1 programs do not want to waste 2 scholly years for 1 playing year, yeah I know you're thinking IVY, but I still say no go. Does Simon Fraser still play NAIA? That's a huge school and well, he is a Canuck.

Birddog

Zag509
04-06-2007, 07:24 AM
I still have plenty of faith in Pmac. It doesnt matter if he gives 5 min. off the bench next year or is a key player...i still want him on my team.

Nevtelen
04-06-2007, 07:40 AM
I have always enjoyed PMAC - I just wish he'd step it up. The only reason I'd wish that he could transfer would be for his own PT. Somewhere with a less loaded guard corp, he could get significant minutes. If he stays and this is all hearsay, I'll be glad to have him on the team no matter how many or how few minutes he plays. I'm just not sure it'll be a lot of time.

NJZag
04-06-2007, 11:11 AM
NJ, plausible but not likely Most D1 programs do not want to waste 2 scholly years for 1 playing year, yeah I know you're thinking IVY, but I still say no go. Does Simon Fraser still play NAIA? That's a huge school and well, he is a Canuck.

Birddog

Not sure what Simon Fraser plays -- but it's one of the ugliest campuses on the North American continent. Cold gray concrete bunkers set into a scenic hillside. PMAC is from the other side of Canada anyway. If a Canadian college were in the picture, McGill would have the bigger academic and overall rep.

The 2-for-1 tradeoff might not be the kind of 3-for-2 or 4-for-3 "team productivity" ratio that most D1 coaches want in a transfer student. But it's something that a coach at an Ivy or one of the few Patriot League hold-outs might be interested in. Which is -- as you noted -- exactly why the suggestion made some sense to me.

Anyway, as Zag509 notes, it's all speculative. Revolves around the rumor that a player has been super-busy in the classroom, moving toward an accelerated graduation.