PDA

View Full Version : Manny Arop - Nike Global Challenge

Zagalicious
08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Highlights of Team Canada forward Mangisto Arop from the 2009 Nike Global Challenge. Looking forward to seeing him in K2! :clap:

http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonlive/2009/08/nike_global_challenge_mangisto.html

Grad Zag
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Nice find Zagalicious. He seems very confident with his outside shot. He's got a nice step back and doesn't look like he cares if he is guarded or not. Can't wait to see him in a zag uniform!!

ZagManFan
08-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Wow, his game looks like a young Kobe. Kobe does a lot of that dribble hard and step back shot. Not syaing his is on Kobe's level, but his game does resemble it a bit.

dnj116
08-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Nice. This video wasn't working for me on slipperstillfits and I wanted to see this. Like they said at SSF, I see Manny competing for some serious minutes this season.

NotoriousZ
08-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Can you say immediate impact?!?

:000tens:

kitzbuel
08-12-2009, 09:42 AM
He uses every bit of those long arms on his shots. The ball is almost level with the rim at his release.

Reborn
08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow, his game looks like a young Kobe. Kobe does a lot of that dribble hard and step back shot. Not syaing his is on Kobe's level, but his game does resemble it a bit.

I can see Kobe in him too, but I see more Paul Pierce from Celtics. And that is really good, imo.

Zagalicious
08-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Can you say immediate impact?!?

:000tens:

What you talkin' bout Willis!?? :vomit-smiley-007:

BobZag
08-12-2009, 11:54 AM
He uses every bit of those long arms on his shots. The ball is almost level with the rim at his release.

It'll help when he's amongst the trees.

cjm720
08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Arop looks like a more agressive Steven Gray, which is saying a lot.

Go Zags!!

dim4sum
08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Hate to say this about my favorite Zag, but I think Steven Gray could lose serious minutes to the new kid in town, Manny. I love Manny's intensity.
One scenario, I could see is a starting lineup of Gray, Bouldin, Manny with Poling and Sacre down low and Meech first up off the bench. Or a second unit of Olynik, Dower, Foster, Vilario and Meech, if Few is going to platoon.
Gibbs and Kong, also get minutes, but their playing time is diminished by the Manny factor in the equation.
Manny seems to have a nose for the basketball in a way Jeremy didn't, but I'll have to see more of him to make that conclusion.

CDC84
08-12-2009, 02:39 PM
It's hard for me to envision Meech Goodson not starting. They need his defense at the point of attack.

Manny Arop and Bol Kong could be the best thing that has ever happened to Steven Gray. I still feel that Steven is capable of much, much more than what GU has gotten from him thus far. These two guys could push him into being the great player he's capable of being. I'm with Seth Davis, Jay Bilas and others. Steven is capable of being a special player if he wants to be, but he has to bring it every single game.

memorial80
08-12-2009, 02:49 PM
There isn't a scenario where Meech won't start. Additionally, there isn't a scenario where Meech and GJ don't get most of the minutes at the 1 position.

IMO without speed, athleticism and high IQ at that position there is no way that you can win big time... Especially, with the schedule we will be playing.

It's hard for me to envision Meech not starting. They need his defense at the point of attack.

Manny Arop and Bol Kong could be the best thing that has ever happened to Steven Gray. I still feel that Steven is capable of much more than what GU has gotten from him thus far. These two guys could push him into being the great player he's capable of being.

BilboZaggins
08-12-2009, 02:52 PM
long with a soft touch.

throw in his rebounding and you've got tons of potential.

ZagNative
08-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't "get" the talk about any starting line up that doesn't include Meech, and it's going to be fun to see what GJ brings.

Reborn
08-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't "get" the talk about any starting line up that doesn't include Meech, and it's going to be fun to see what GJ brings.

I do not believe the talk about Meech not being in the starting line up is all that serious. It's more just "thinking out loud" I think, and just trying to figure out how Few is going to put together combinations on the court. I think to "think about" Matt Bouldin playing some point guard is definitely legit. Matt played a lot of point last season, and maybe more than you noticed. Matt has a very strong game at the point, and GJ is going to be learning the system and, as we know, Few's offensive system is a difficult system to learn.

I think the other factor that has to be considered is the number of new players coming onto the team this year. A lot of guys without a lot of experience, and they will need the sure hands, and sound minds of Matt, Steven and Sacre, and Meech. I do not look for Steven to play the point, but I think there could be a chance the Gibbs could get minutes there. The weakness that GU will have is outside shoot by Meech and GJ. This could create problems. We will wait and see. Few's Zags are known for scoring points, and those that show that they can score will see playing time, imo.

OZZag
08-12-2009, 03:53 PM
I see the coaching staff as a crafty archer with a quiver full of amazing arrows............

IMHO I can't see a problem with outside shooting as Matty, Stephen, Manny, Gibbs and Bol (and even KO) can all hit the outside shot. You would have at least 2 (and possibly three) on the court at any one time.

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I can't wait for that one game where the rest of the country finds out about Manny, just like Josh against UNC or Meech against WKU. Whether it's in Maui, New York, East Lansing, Memphis, or one of the WCC games that's televised on ESPN, there'll be that moment where everyone else realizes that Mark Few has found someone special.

I also agree about Steven being pushed. He better be working his tail off this summer if he wants to start next season.

Is it November yet??

BobZag
08-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Gray is now an upperclassman. There are not five seniors, a junior and an NBA pick ahead of him anymore.

The time has come for Steven to step up. He knows this.

NotoriousZ
08-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Gray is now an upperclassman. There are not five seniors, a junior and an NBA pick ahead of him anymore.

The time has come for Steven to step up. He knows this.

Agree %100. Manny should get plenty of PT, but it's not going come at the expense of our guards. Matty and Steven should easily be the top two leaders in scoring and playing time. Manny and Matty? Just saw that. Anyway, Arop I think will be used most at the 3 and sometimes the 4 spot in "a very fast lineup." Can't wait for the season to start.

Edited to add: After more thought on the matter, he might get just as much time at the power forward spot (the fast lineup is looking better and better to me). I know we've got a ton of guys looking to fill that position also, but I just don't know how we can keep Manny off the court.

MDABE80
08-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm pretty sure Mang and Kong will get their share of the points but what I really like is what prior scouts and coaches are saying about their defense.
For years, we've not had good luck with perimeter defense. Looks like that issue will be resolved when either of them is playing. What they don't have in speed, they'll make up for in length and determination. I have a pretty good feeling about these two.....