PDA

View Full Version : Zags Will Have an Excellent PG 3 Years From Now

BobZag
08-10-2009, 11:55 AM
David Stockton.

He'll redshirt this year so none of us will see him till next year, but mark my words, in three years he will be that guy who everyone is saying, "Where'd he come from, how'd he get so good, are you kidding me?"

Let him grow and mature. He already knows the game as good as anyone and is incredibly savvy, a high hoops IQ.

I'm hearing some very promising things about him.

cjm720
08-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I remember working a work study job at the old Kennel my sophomore year. Stockton and one (maybe two?) of his kids were there to watch the mom in a Gonzaga alumni volleyball game. One of the kids, who I'm guessing is David (this was 1992, so 16 years later would put him at about 18-19) had a basketball. And boy could this 2 or 3 year old dribble. I remember thinking wow that kid is going to be good! Other than feeling really old right now, I'm pretty pumped to see this kid in a GU uni!

GO ZAGS!!

MBZags
08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Excellent as in potential starter?

Vizagra
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
The kid has a tremendous feel for the game. Lanky arms and big hands. Pass first guard with good handles and superior court vision. He is a late bloomer and needs to grow into his body and the body needs to mature a little more, but I think GU could have a steal here for sure. A few years in the making, but patience is a virtue right?

jhoop
08-10-2009, 02:45 PM
David Stockton.

Let him grow and mature. He already knows the game as good as anyone and is incredibly savvy, a high hoops IQ.

I totally agree BZ. And the kid brings along some toughness. He was the starting QB on his high school football team that finished near the top in the GSL last fall. I saw him take a couple of hard hits only to jump up and make a big play.

spudzag
08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
I love the idea of the legacy, but expect GJ to have something to say about who is the point three years from now.

BobZag
08-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Excellent as in potential starter?

Yep. Don't get me wrong, we fans will see a couple fantastic PGs in Meech and GJ, but that's to be expected. David is one of these guys who will come out of nowhere and fans who don't follow this board will be blindsided by just how good he is. But it's going to take time, a few years. He already is making life miserable for the other PGs and is doing things that coaches usually have to tell kids to do. And yes he is tough as nails, like his father.

bartruff1
08-10-2009, 05:21 PM
not familiar with Spokane High School Sports can someone give a little more info on his prep career ?? How big is he ?? A picture ? A link ?? Thanks in advance for your trouble...bart:confused:

ZagNative
08-10-2009, 05:51 PM
not familiar with Spokane High School Sports can someone give a little more info on his prep career ?? How big is he ?? A picture ? A link ?? Thanks in advance for your trouble...bart:confused:I can help you with the pic. David's on the left.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2009%20Recruits/David%20Stockton/2009-01-07DavidStocktontowalkonsmal.jpg

BobZag
08-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Give him three years for those late-bloomer Stockton genes to kick in.

GUZag08
08-10-2009, 06:31 PM
now are we expecting GJ to play next year, or redshirt?

I assume that Meech will be the starting PG for the next 3 years, so would it make sense to redshirt GJ so he could start for 2 years instead of 1?

RenoZag
08-10-2009, 06:46 PM
. . .but mark my words, in three years he will be that guy who everyone is saying, "Where'd he come from, how'd he get so good, are you kidding me?"

:confused:

It's a great story that he's comfortable enough in his own skin to play hoops at his pop's alma mater, where the scrutiny and spotlight will be much greater than elsewhere. Look forward to seeing the "Stockton" name on the back of a Gonzaga jersey down the road.

ZagNative
08-10-2009, 07:34 PM
now are we expecting GJ to play next year, or redshirt?

I assume that Meech will be the starting PG for the next 3 years, so would it make sense to redshirt GJ so he could start for 2 years instead of 1?Don't make GJ's dad give you a rap upside the head. He's said on numerous occasions, GJ will not red shirt.

MickMick
08-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I have a feeling that both Meech and GJ are going to be getting plenty of playing time. Few will have the option of situational substituions. He will also have the option of playing both at once. I like the idea of substituting, giving some situational coaching along the sideline, and knowing that the team is in good hands with the other player on the floor.

GUZag08
08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Don't make GJ's dad give you a rap upside the head. He's said on numerous occasions, GJ will not red shirt.

hopefully he's not a board member!

SpudDawg
08-10-2009, 11:43 PM
BZ, this is good news. What is even more encouraging is that board members have resisted the urge to pile on with comments about how David is not even capable of getting on the court during a Division 1 game. And never will be capable.

The truth is that no one knows what will happen with this young man. While I trust BZ's opinion without question, who can really say if his prediction will come true? I certainly can't, and I would not ever come close to thinking I could. What disturbed me the most about the previous discussion was that some board members, based on a few observations of a 17- or 18-year-old playing hoops, determined this young man's future. They cited their own "basketball IQ" to back up their claims.

Yeah. Whatever.

The future will reveal itself in good time.

BobZag
08-11-2009, 09:42 AM
BZ, this is good news. What is even more encouraging is that board members have resisted the urge to pile on with comments about how David is not even capable of getting on the court during a Division 1 game. And never will be capable.

The truth is that no one knows what will happen with this young man. While I trust BZ's opinion without question, who can really say if his prediction will come true? I certainly can't, and I would not ever come close to thinking I could. What disturbed me the most about the previous discussion was that some board members, based on a few observations of a 17- or 18-year-old playing hoops, determined this young man's future. They cited their own "basketball IQ" to back up their claims.

Yeah. Whatever.

The future will reveal itself in good time.

Good post. Just to clarify one thing. It isn't my opinion. I'm relaying the opinon of a person who knows far more than I ever will about basketball, someone who sees David play nearly everyday.

But I agree: all in good time.

gozagswoohoo
08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
And don't forget, I have already taken the pleasure of verbally committing my son Kaleb to Gonzaga. So, not only will we have an amazing gaurd 3 years from now in Stockton, but we'll have an amazing gaurd 18 years from now as well. He will be bulky, yet incredibley fast.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/335.jpg

Larrylegend
08-11-2009, 12:33 PM
BobZag going on and on about David Stockton reminds me of BZ a few summers ago. That summer he was going on and on about a freshman to be from Mead High School.

BZ droned on about a kid named Morrison, that he was coming out of nowhere and might be something special.

Déjà vu.

ZagNative
08-11-2009, 03:05 PM
BobZag going on and on about David Stockton reminds me of BZ a few summers ago. That summer he was going on and on about a freshman to be from Mead High School.

BZ droned on about a kid named Morrison, that he was coming out of nowhere and might be something special.

Déjà vu.You talking about this skinny little character, as seen here leading Mead to a win over Federal Way to advance in the State tournament,, March 13, 2003?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Morrison/2003-03-13AdamMeadFederalWayStat-1.jpg

And as seen later that year v. St. Joseph's in Madison Square Garden?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/NBA/Morrison/2003-11-15-SAINTJOSEPH_t640.jpg

lothar98zag
08-11-2009, 04:00 PM

Déjà vu.
I like the comparison, but while he wasn't a 5 star McDAA, I'm pretty sure he wasn't out of nowhere.

seasontixholder
08-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Actually, Adam WAS sort of an afterthought among the other more highly touted recruits. I remember going to a summer scrimmage in the old Kennel to watch Heytvelt, Pendo, etc. I only remembered Adam because of his high release, but he didn't stand out. The regulars were talking mostly about the other guys.

MDABE80
08-11-2009, 10:39 PM
I've watched David play in his Soph, Jr and Sr years. I suppose I have a bias because I watched his Pops grow too. He does shoot like his Dad, walks like him, carries his head in that "tilt". His quickness needs some spiffin up. He's growing in length and the best part is his sense of things. Just an odd orientation when he has the ball. Seems to just know where everyone is...threads the needle or shoots. Super ball control...dribbles well....senses pressure....quick enough to get himself out of trouble.

He has ways to go but if he continues in his development, he won't disappoint. Tough kid too. In a few years, I can see where he's the one well want with the ball at the end of the game....his choices will be right.

zagzilla
08-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Is young Stockton a walk on? Don't see him on ZN's schollie chart.

jake
08-12-2009, 03:06 PM
By the end of his senior year, Morrison wasn't sneaking up on anyone. His ultimate potential wasn't clear, but it was clear he was a very good recruit. He was a steal when we got him to commit, but not at that point. When he played in the Oregon/Washington all-star game he was clearly the best player on the court (with Aaron Brooks not playing).