PDA

View Full Version : Keating to SCU

drnoe
04-05-2007, 12:29 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6647872

lothar98zag
04-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I wonder if SCU fans think he's worth the forced midseason "retirement" of Davey?

BobZag
04-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Of course!

Now I wonder if Monson has the inside track to the LB State job. I still think the LBSU job > USD/SCU jobs.

siliconzag
04-05-2007, 04:51 PM
I think you're wrong about the SCU fans. I think the majority of the Santa Clara community was behind DD. I have been around that program for awhile and I think there was more criticism of him a few years back. But in anycase, they didn't get Monty. And now that there is UCLA scum at Santa Clara, I feel better about rooting against the Broncos in the future than I have the past few years.

Sili

drnoe
04-05-2007, 05:17 PM
I wonder if Monson has the inside track to the LB State job. I still think the LBSU job > USD/SCU jobs.

Seriously doubt it. LBSU fans are pissed about Keating taking the SCU job. They're scared sh##less Dollar will get the job. Keating's decision was a no-brainer. Not sure about the money, but the WCC gets much more TV coverage and has far superior competition. If Monson gets the job, which I doubt, it would be a great coup for LBSU.

DrDrivel
04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Sili, I swear, one day you'll come around and realize that UCLA isn't the enemy. Aren't there dirtier foes to pillory?

BobZag
04-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Seriously doubt it. LBSU fans are pissed about Keating taking the SCU job. They're scared sh##less Dollar will get the job. Keating's decision was a no-brainer. Not sure about the money, but the WCC gets much more TV coverage and has far superior competition. If Monson gets the job, which I doubt, it would be a great coup for LBSU.

True, Dr. No, but LBSU practically has a free ticket to the Dance every March. All they have to do is recruit fairly good. Dollar would be funny there.

MDABE80
04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Makes me wonder why a program who's under NCAA scrutiny for recruiting violations could possibly think they should hire a coach who has extensive experience with the same thing. SOmebody explain thins!!!>>>>!!!?????

NJZag
04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Of course!

Now I wonder if Monson has the inside track to the LB State job. I still think the LBSU job > USD/SCU jobs.

Yo. The guy went to Seton Hall and spent some time in Joisey. :D So, let's see what that "Pirate" is able to do.

More seriously, I think that Sili is on target about there being a mixed reaction from the SCU fans/alumni since Davey was like an institution at that place. Before making dismissive comments, we should probably ask ourselves how we would react if Mark Few hit a dry patch.

Went .500 over, say, 4 or 5 seasons?

How about 8 seasons?

NCAA appearances became a semi-distant memory?

Reached a point where the last NCAA appearance was 11 years in the past?

How many would honestly say "Hey, he recruited AMMO!" or "Hey, Few got us into some NCAA's along the way!" and encourage contract extensions all the way through to Few hitting age 65? How about 70?

I raise those questions because, in a way, that is what happened at SCU. There was a "bonus" for finding Nash who went on to a great NBA career, and for pulling off some surprising upsets (#2 seeded Arizona in '93), and the "bonus" came in the form of unquestioning "loyalty extensions" to Davey's contract. This is not to knock a fine coach and even better human being, all of which Davey is. The loyalty extensions probably happened because of how selfless a teacher he is.

But it is to point out that the overall record had its ups and its downs and a long stretch of middling performance. At some level, the track record wasn't satisfactory. And talk of the final extension being allowed to expire, coinciding with age 65, dates all the way back to last summer. And maybe they wouldn't have had the so-so years if there had been more $$$ or support. And maybe they should have tried more $$$ and support along with retaining Davey. But, didn't happen. The SCU fans weren't in charge of the decisions that got made.

So, new coach for them.

New unknowns for their WCC opponents.

And LBSU, possibly a job greater than Kentucky :D , is still looking for a coach to fill it. Having worked with a school facing NCAA penalties, Monson might be suited for that job from experience.

NJZag
04-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Makes me wonder why a program who's under NCAA scrutiny for recruiting violations could possibly think they should hire a coach who has extensive experience with the same thing. SOmebody explain thins!!!>>>>!!!?????

Simple answer: they still want to win.

MDABE80
04-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Zero on that too though......I 'm guessin the good D1 coaches aren't in abundance. Based on the prior post ( ie recruiting penalties) I wonder why they haven't signed Monson up. Clean as it gets and a decent D1 record.

dawgman1999
04-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Come on Abe, that was only 1 small incident in which coach Dollar had a recruiting violation. We already self penalized him and he had never done it again. I saw him on campus many, many times, and talked to him more than once about the program. He's just a very down-to-earth, nice person. I just love the energy he has. He's a player's coach and I think he deserve a shot at the job. I would hate to lose him. But he'd be a great hire for LBSU. He'd be a tiredless recruiter, and a high energy guy and players would love to play for him. I have nothing but great things to say about Cameron Dollar.

DrDrivel
04-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Funny how that works - knowing someone makes it a lot harder to stomach distant and seemingly ignorant criticisms about him, eh? Bear that in mind in the future, buddy.