PDA

View Full Version : Oy, vey !

Zag 77
08-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Pargo signs to play in Israel:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/8/7/981384/jeremy-pargo-signs-with-israeli#comments

Good bagels, I hear. At least in Israel he pobably will actually get paid, compared to what happens on some Eastern European and Asian teams. At least he has a job after graduation.

Keep safe, Jeremy.

mdZag23
08-07-2009, 04:12 PM
of these Zags is going to play in the NBA this year. I said this months ago and I will say it again. A lot of you need to step back from the Kool Aid when it comes to NBA talent and the Zags. Heck, Austin might not even play this or next year....

Yes, we have great players. Yes, we all love to watch them. And yes, we hope they do well.

BUT....making it in the NBA is a MATH problem and the math doesn't lie. Getting one player in is a miracle, getting 2, 3, 4, is just plain NUTS.

I think the bigger compliment should go to Leon, Few, etc. for the job they do putting a TEAM together on a consistent basis.

hoopster777
08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Pargo signs to play in Israel:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/8/7/981384/jeremy-pargo-signs-with-israeli#comments

Good bagels, I hear. At least in Israel he pobably will actually get paid, compared to what happens on some Eastern European and Asian teams. At least he has a job after graduation.

Keep safe, Jeremy.

Actually terrible bagels in Israel, bagels were an American Jewish creation stemming from Eastern Europe. But theres good falafel there.

Israel is a very underrated basketball country, but this isn't one of the top teams in the league. They operate in a small town that borders the West Bank (Afula) which in the past had been frequently targeted by terrorists. The best places in Israel to play at would have been Hapoel Jerusalem or Macabbi Tel Aviv.....oh well hopefully this is a short stint for Pargo on his way to the NBA.

alaskazagnut
08-08-2009, 12:00 AM
In many ways. He gets to play a game for a job, he can travel the holy land, and he will make way more money than I will. He is going to blow them away.

That spin move to the hoop will blow 'em away. (no pun intended)

gamagin
08-08-2009, 10:25 AM
I hope he continues to play well, make new friends and bank some cash. He's earned it.

Whether he makes it to the bigs or not, I can think of no better job for an athlete, a college graduate, and a fine human being than to see the world, get paid well and extend himself in the sport he loves for a few or many years after his collegiate career has ended.

I hope we have a few Zag fans in israel who can help us out by keeping track of JP. With Micah in Croatia and JP in Israel, GU's name and players are certainly going get and give exposure to our small powerhouse program.

the only Zag left without a sure job is JH. He will either land with the Wizards or in Europe. Either way, we will have four kids in one year playing pro basketball on three continents.

Go Zags, go JP !

Reborn
08-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Congrats to Jeremy. Best of luck to him. I don't think it has been as cut and dry would like us to believe about our Zags being drafted in the NBA. If you listen to him you'd have to believe that Jeremy and Downs had no chance, but I tend to disagree because they were evaluated for a long time by NBA teams. It was no miracle that Austin was drafted. Everyone knew that at some point he was going to be drafted and at some point he WILL play in the NBA. Who knows, maybe Jeremy or Micah or Josh still will. The jury is still out on Josh, so let's wait and see. The Kool-Aid still tastes good to me. Prefer it any day to drinking mud.

bballbeachbum
08-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I hope he continues to play well, make new friends and bank some cash. He's earned it.

Whether he makes it to the bigs or not, I can think of no better job for an athlete, a college graduate, and a fine human being than to see the world, get paid well and extend himself in the sport he loves for a few or many years after his collegiate career has ended.

I hope we have a few Zag fans in israel who can help us out by keeping track of JP. With Micah in Croatia and JP in Israel, GU's name and players are certainly going get and give exposure to our small powerhouse program.

the only Zag left without a sure job is JH. He will either land with the Wizards or in Europe. Either way, we will have four kids in one year playing pro basketball on three continents.

Go Zags, go JP !

:) love Jeremy

found this link on Jeremy's signing, but no Galil/Gilboa board

http://www.safsal.co.il/earticle.aspx?id=14746

with this quote

Galil/Gilboa, who finished third in the league last year, is known as a great place for youngsters to step up their game. Last year, Illinois' Brian Randle and Dayton's Brian Roberts were considered among the best players in the league even though they had no prior pro experience.

Jeremy will need to believe, a mountain he's already climbed, and turn up the toughness meter and get after it! he can do this.

and getting paid to ball :)

GO JEREMY!!!

FuManShoes
08-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Go see Jeremy in Israel, Micah in Croatia, JP in France and who knows where Josh will end up. (I still think he'll make an NBA roster, though the odds are looking long at this point).

At any rate, good luck to Jeremy. I would have preferred Europe to the troubled Mideast but hey, it's got to be one hell of a life experience and maybe he can help bring folks together with vicious dunks and sweet dimes :)

eliezar
08-09-2009, 03:53 AM
I am so happy to have a Zag to follow in Israeli basketball. Go ג'רמי פארגו! Israeli basketball can be hard to follow here in the states but if you read Hebrew you can keep up in the Israeli papers online (sorry the English versions don't carry much sports). There are a few articles on the signing already. http://test.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3758735,00.html This article in Israel's largest newspaper Yediot Achranot talks about Jeremy at Gonzaga and the signing. It mentions he likes to go inside to score and that his numbers dropped his last two years. They also talk about his brother Jannero. The team's GM said they were looking for a different style player than their last PG Roberts. The team said that Pargo's style reminded them of Will Beynum but more responsible and organized. The coach and some of the team staff know Beynum when he was at Macabbi Tel Aviv at the same time they were. http://www.one.co.il/Article/142091.html This article says most of the same stuff but does say Pargo is supposed to be one of the main players on the team next year. http://www.one.co.il/Article/142091.html This article says the same things as well but adds that the team had been speaking with Pargo for the last two weeks before signing him. It also says the team loved his game and they really wanted him. They were at Vegas watching him. They felt he was not a selfish player but a team player. They think he has great potential and will start. There are other articles but they say pretty much the same thing. The team page is in Hebrew and is located here http://www.galilgolan.co.il/ There is nothing on there about Pargo yet but I will post when there is something. Yes, he is also already listed on the teams Hebrew wikipedia page. I will try to keep the board up to date on what the Israeli papers and sites are saying. There probably won't be much more until the season is about to start.

Pargo is going to love Israel. The Gilboa mountains are a beautiful part of Israel next to the Galilee and the Golan Heights. He can even go skiing in the winter on Mount Hermon. Sorry hoopster777 but the team actually plays in Gan Ner (Candle Garden) not Afula. It is on the green line 12 kilometers south of Afula which is just south of Nazareth. Afula has its own team in the league. Gilboa Galil has a small 1,000 seat arena. It is basically the regional team for the Gilboa region in the northeast of Israel. The team buses in fans from small towns, kibbutzim, and moshavim from around the Gilboa, Galilee and the southern Golan Heights for games. The team finished in third place last year beating Hapoel Jerusalem in the third place game. They defeated the defending champions Hapoel Halon in order to get there. Tel Aviv and Haifa were first and second. The team is a recent merger of two teams in the north. It previously won the league in 1993 before Tel Aviv's 14 year run as champions. They are one of the better teams in the league. They had a down period but are quickly rebounding.

Jeremy will be safe so you do not need to worry about him. He has street smarts from Chicago and they just need to be tweaked a little bit to work just fine in the Israel. I lived in Jerusalem during the height of the intifada and never felt unsafe. You just make some simple changes like not going to the shook (outdoor market) Friday morning when it is crowded with people getting ready for Shabbos (sabbath) when it is a prime target. Israel has not had a bombing in years. He is not in the south which gets hit daily by rockets from Gaza. If he doesn't travel there he will feel like that stuff is as far away from Gan Ner as it is from Spokane. Israel is an amazing place and Jeremy will love every minute there.

BobZag
08-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks, eliezar. That's interesting to know.

Good luck to Jeremy!

gamagin
08-09-2009, 10:31 AM
great background. You need to change your name to elieZAG.

Can you tell us approximately how many teams are in this league, and if they have a limit to American players (or foreign players for that matter) and how old the league is all that stuff ? What the length of the season is and what players like JP can hope to earn ?

The descriptions you translated are spot on. JP has become a real team player with the explosive ability to drive to the basket. He will definitely be drawing opponents to him, pulling them away from the other guys, allowing JP to finish at the net or dish. He'll open up their game, for sure.

It will be fun, with your help, following JP. You are very kind to be willing to post and translate. Thanks , again.

Go JP !

hoopster777
08-09-2009, 08:30 PM
From what I remember about my trip to Israel about 6 years ago, professional basketball players get SOO much attention, to the point of being a major celebrity in the country. Jeremy will have a great time with that, Israeli women are absolutely GORGEOUS too. Definitely the top 5 most beautiful women in the world.

eliezar
08-10-2009, 01:03 AM
The league started in the 1953-54 season. The 1955-56 season was canceled due to war. There are 12 teams in the league. It recently expanded from 10 teams. There are two leagues in Israel, the DI Premiere league that JP is in and then the DII league. The bottom two DI teams are moved down to the DII league every year. The top eight DII teams play a playoff and the top two are bumped up to the premiere league the following year. The regular season is around 25 games plus playoff tournaments and other games. Maccabi Tel Aviv is by far the most dominant team in the league. They have won 48 out of 55 championships and finished second 5 other times. There have only been three other teams who have won the championship and Pargo's team is one of those. Tel Aviv has also won the Euroleague several times and infamously beat the Raptors in Toronto during an exhibition. Besides Tel Aviv the league is becoming a very popular place for high level foreign talent and is very competitive. The high school star Jeremy Tyler from San Diego recently agreed to play at last years runner up Haifa for the next two years before entering the 2011 draft. Tel Aviv and other Israeli teams have produced a considerable number of NBA players. Also, JP's coach is an ex-star on the Tel Aviv team and is said to be the next in line for the head coach job for the Jerusalem team when the current coach retires in the next few years.

The teams may have six foreign players on a roster for a game and may have eight for an entire season. This may be changed in the case of injuries. There must be two Israeli players on the floor for each team at all times. Pargo will probably make a couple hundred thousand for the season. I could not find the amount for the contract anywhere but it is for one year. I have heard of players getting paid as little as $80,000 and as much as $500,000. he is probably making a little less than the median. He is on a smaller club which has less money.

If you have wondered how to spell Gonzaga University in Hebrew here it is, אוניברסיטת גונזאגה you spell Zags זאגס. Remember it is from right to left. If they sell a Pargo uniform you will bet I will get one. We were at the senior night game for my sons sixth birthday present. My son loved Pargo throwing his shoes and everything now he is excited that he is in Israel.

Pargo should feel at home with the Gilboa fans who look like the KC in red.
http://www.galilgolan.co.il/image/users/60028/ftp/my_files/pages/galil_mo1.jpg
Yes hoopster777 you are right JP will like the girls. I could not find a picture of the Gilboa cheerleaders but here is one of the Tel Aviv cheerleaders.
http://www.maccabi.co.il/mtpic/newgallery/CL_08-09_YB_0017.jpg

gamagin
08-10-2009, 09:16 AM
That seems like a short season. when does it begin and end ?

Does that timeframe have anything to do with other competing sports or events in Israel during this tiime of year ? Also, it looks like the league is growing. I'm wondering if any of the owners are planning to build larger facilities, too ? In other words are there signs the owners are making money ?

Finally (for this go round, at least) are any of these teams farm teams of any others, or are their affiliations, particularly the NBA. I know there have been efforts to link the NBA in Europe, but am unsure how that is going but do feel it is inevitable.

In other words, do you think there is a close or distant link between the two ?

thanks, again, best regards & GO זאגס's ! !

dim4sum
08-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Just wondering how many--and who--are the former Israeli league players that made the jump to the NBA?
Also, who are some of the other Americans currently playing in the Israeli league???
Are jewish-american athletes given any kind of priority as far as signing goes?
Also, does Jeremy have the opportunity to make extra money from endorsements or a residual based on the sale of jerseys with his name on it, as is the case in the US?
Hope Elizag can provide the answers. Thanks in advance.

hoopster777
08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Just wondering how many--and who--are the former Israeli league players that made the jump to the NBA?
Also, who are some of the other Americans currently playing in the Israeli league???
Are jewish-american athletes given any kind of priority as far as signing goes?
Also, does Jeremy have the opportunity to make extra money from endorsements or a residual based on the sale of jerseys with his name on it, as is the case in the US?
Hope Elizag can provide the answers. Thanks in advance.

Some players who have played for the Israeli league and made the jump directly to the NBA include:

- Will Bynum (Pistons)
- Anthony Parker (Cavs)
- Noel Felix (started off for Hapoel Jerusalem, then to the Sonics, then back to Maccabi Tel Aviv)
- Omri Casspi (Kings)
- Roger Mason (Spurs)

Other players who have played in the Israeli league include:
- Dee Brown
- Beno Udrih
- Carlos Arroyo
- Ira Newble

I'm sure there are more players, these are the ones I already knew about. Its a well established league and Maccabi Tel Aviv is one of the dominant European clubs.....in fact if the NBA ever set up shop in Europe, I am sure Tel Aviv would be one of the top destinations for a team.

eliezar
08-11-2009, 11:59 PM
The season begins in late October and goes to mid-April. The teams also play in Euro-leagues during this time. Gilboa played in the ULEB Cup last year. They played 10 games and finished tied for last in their division. They have had better years in European play and been in European playoffs making it as far as the semifinals before. The team often plays in other tournaments or exhibitions with foreign teams. I know more about what they do in the Israeli league than the European stuff. I am in an Israeli fantasy basketball league so I keep up on the league more. Yes, I will have Pargo on my team next year.

The teams are making money but they are heavily sponsored. Most teams wear their sponsors on their uniform and incorporate them into the team name. All teams sell merchandise but I do not know how it works with players getting a share. The facilities are owned by the regional councils or cities. Almost all land in Israel, 96.5%, is government owned and leased to citizens and business for a 49 year term that automatically renews for another 49 years. So, in essence there is no private land ownership in Israel although Bibi says he wants to change this. Originally when the Gilboa franchise merged with Galil Elyon they were supposed to split the games between the two locations but the Gilboa regional council and Gan Ner gave the team better terms in their facility. It was better for the teams bottom line even though the facility was smaller than the other one so all the games are played there.

I do not know of any direct ties between Israeli teams and NBA teams. As hoopster777 has shown there are a number of ex-players in the NBA. I have seen some list that are pretty long. I do not know all the players. JP's team had one player go NBA last year but I think it is the only one in the teams history. Omri Caspi used to play for Gilboa before going to Tel Aviv and now Sacramento. Gilboa is often used as a spring board to Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Haifa, or other bigger European teams and then from there to the NBA like Omri Caspi. JP's coach Katash was a star for Tel Aviv where he was in the European championship. He then signed a contract with the NY Knicks in the late 90s but never played because of the players lockout. Instead he played in Greece for Panathinaikos BC where he led the team in defeating his former team Tel Aviv in the 2000 European championship. A few months later he had a career ending injury and was never able to try for the NBA again, instead he went into coaching.

Every Israeli team has 4-6 American players. JP's team currently has four including JP, F Dion Dowell (Houston, UT), F Brad Buckman (UT, Keravnos (Cyprus), U.Mobitel.CN (Romania), NBA D-League, Olimpia L. (Greece)), and G Isaiah Swann (FSU, Aget Imola (Italy)). They still have two more roster spots to fill.

While Jewish Americans or Jewish anything else do not have official preference they are beneficiaries of the Law of Return. Any Jew who wants it is granted automatic citizenship under the law. Many Jewish American players get their automatic citizenship and then hold dual American and Israeli citizenship. They then do not count against the teams total number of foreign players they can have since they are Israeli citizens.