• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Drat! Zagthunder is right about Illinois January 2

Well, drat! Not so much drat about the confirmation that the Zags will play Illinois January 2, but about the probability Zagthunder's unnamed source was also right about a very early season game (Nov. 17) against Michigan State, as ZagThunder announced in this guboards thread.

Regarding the Illinois game, this from a Paul Klee post on IlliniHQ.com:
    CHAMPAIGN - For the first time, Illinois' annual game at Chicago's United Center will be played after the holidays.

Bruce Weber said Illinois will face Gonzaga at the UC on Jan. 2. He said the game will be nationally televised on CBS.

"That was the big thing, to get TV involved," Weber said today. "For Gonzaga to play us, their whole thing is TV. That's why they're playing these games, to get exposure."

It will be a day game, though Weber was unsure of the time, and likely part of a college basketball doubleheader. He said Duke is involved in the other half of the doubleheader.

The Illinois-Gonzaga matchup initially was going to be played on Dec. 5. But Illinois scheduled a home football game against Fresno State on that date and wanted to avoid a conflict.

Gonzaga and Illinois have signed a contract for a four-game series. The games are expected to be played in Chicago-Seattle-Champaign-Spokane. The Zags are coming off a Sweet 16 appearance, their second in three years, but figure to be young, with up to eight first-year contributors.
    Let the dirge begin! "Bring out ye dead! Bring out ye dead!"

See if this schedule looks right to you ... Well, not "right," so much as "accurate," basked on known information.... I think one of those December 28 or 29 dates is wrong ...

Note: Edited to add GoZags' Wake Forest info in post below to chart for dates.

8/4/09 Additional Edit: Edited to swap the calendar to count the conference games (dates not determined yet), for purposes of counting possible additional games that might be scheduled. (See my post below today.)

I'm still skeered!
    Last edited by ZagNative; 08-04-2009, 09:53 AM.
    • Feb 2007

"I'm not dead yet!"

"I'm feeling better!"
    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Let's just hope that the CBS doubleheader doesn't turn into a "regionalized" game like Gonzaga/UConn last season.

Comment

• dnj116
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Oct 2007

wow, this is shaping up to be my favorite non-conference schedule that i can remember. this is great to be getting these top-notch series' with such teams.

Comment

• GoZags
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Wake is either Dec. 4 or Dec. 5 (in K2).
          sigpic
          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
          ——-
          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I hope that WF date is right. It would be great for school to be in session for that game.

Comment

• BobZag
              Dark Lord of the Zag
              • Jan 2007

That Memphis game is in Feb., I'm fairly sure.

There might be one or two, at most, games not known yet; typically there are 15 or so ooc games. There are 15 listed already.

Good job, ZN. That's almost a wrap.
              The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• cbbfanatic
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                Let's just hope that the CBS doubleheader doesn't turn into a "regionalized" game like Gonzaga/UConn last season.
                CBS games usually are regional, right?

Comment

• ZagNative
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I didn't number the Div. II or III exhibition games, so there are fourteen listed, 12 of which are Division I, and counting Maui as 1. I believe last year we played 12, or no more than 13, Div I OOC games.

I still wonder if the staff would be looking to schedule a closed-door scrimmage with a high profile team, as they did last year with Texas ...

Comment

• ZagMania
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2007

Is that date finalized for Duke @ MSG? If so I'm very excited that I'll be able to see the Zags play in person for the second time!

Comment

• ZagNative
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

I've never seen a solid confirmation for the date of Duke at MSG. I'll look again, but I checked recently and still didn't see a firm date ..

Comment

• BobZag
                        Dark Lord of the Zag
                        • Jan 2007

Bakersfield is D1 and not an exhibition.
                        The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• chieftain
                          Bulldog Fan
                          • Jul 2009

This certainly seems to be the toughest schedule I've seen so far. It's exciting and I think the exposure will be great, especially if they manage to smoke a couple of these teams.

Comment

• wiszag
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Feb 2007

I like the fact that we'll probably be underdogs in these games and we'll get return games. Most likely this will be a down year and we'll still be getting exposure next year as a residual effect. All is good. Plus I plan to go to both NYC and Chicago for the games.

Comment

• zagthunder
                              Redshirt
                              • Oct 2007

More from Zagthunder

I'm thinking Wake Dec 5; Duke Dec 19.

Comment

Working...
                              X