PDA

View Full Version : Billy Donovan news...

Rubbadub
04-05-2007, 08:45 AM
He's staying at Florida. Perhaps bad news for Zags fans? Is there good fishing in Lexington?

zagster318
04-05-2007, 08:52 AM
He's staying at Florida. Perhaps bad news for Zags fans? Is there good fishing in Lexington?

Doubt it. I expect Crean, Barnes, and Gillespie to remain the favorites.

thickman1
04-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Even if there is good fishing in Lexington do you think the alumni base would want their head coach sneaking away for some afternoon casting? I'd guess they'll want their guy working the basketball gig 24/7.

IronLions
04-05-2007, 09:35 AM
I heard on ESPN that Barnes is mostly like to top the list after Billy. I think if few left it would be for Oregon or maybe Zona.

mtzaga
04-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Few going to Kentucky reminds me of Mike Price going to Alabama. It does not feel right.

CDC84
04-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Barnes would be dumb to go there. He might have the best coaching job in America at Texas. The facilities are first class, the money is big, he coaches in a state that produces more high level prospects than any other, and best off all, he gets to hide behind football.

In other words....he can get the same kinds of players at Texas that he can at UK, and he can coach them without all the pressure. I would never leave the Horns if I were him.

hls97
04-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Barnes would be dumb to go there. He might have the best coaching job in America at Texas. The facilities are first class, the money is big, he coaches in a state that produces more high level prospects than any other, and best off all, he gets to hide behind football.

In other words....he can get the same kinds of players at Texas that he can at UK, and he can coach them without all the pressure. I would never leave the Horns if I were him.

Five words: It's all about the benjamins.

Birddog
04-05-2007, 05:05 PM
ESPN says Barnes has removed his name from the list. Next up, Billy Clyde?

Birddog

CDC84
04-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Well....I guess it could be Gillespie. What do you think Birddog?

I still say Crean is a player in this. UK fans can argue that he isn't as qualified as other candidates, and that his teams don't run enough, but he's probably got the best personality of all these guys to deal with the UK boosters and fans. That has to count for something. He's as good as any coach out there when it comes to dealing with the media as well.

brasszag
04-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I still say Crean is a player in this. UK fans can argue that he isn't as qualified as other candidates, and that his teams don't run enough, but he's probably got the best personality of all these guys to deal with the UK boosters and fans. That has to count for something. He's as good as any coach out there when it comes to dealing with the media as well.

I think UK fans are going to be sadly disappointed in WHOEVER they get.

Simply put, the "elite" coaches have no interest in going into a job where you get run out of town for only averaging 26.5 wins a year - these are smart men. UK's going to get either a good, but second tier, coach - or have to settle for making a true "interem coach" hire.

1973Zag
04-05-2007, 05:58 PM
seems similaer to the N.D. football coaching situation a few years ago. No elite coach wanted to touch tha job either. It finally took a former Domer to save the program, and be accepted by the alumni. Maybe UK should consider the same.

RebornZag
04-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I've been enjoying watching this Kentucky basketball coaching circus. My prediction is that the coaches Kentucky are after will NOT go there. To think Donovan would go to Kentucky would be very similar to expect Mark Few to go to the UW. Some things will never happen. I really don't think Rick Barnes would go to Kentucky. Why gamble? I know some folks believe that Kentucky is basketball mecca.....it's history.....But on the other hand, maybe legends are falling, traditional Elite Programs cracking....Maybe there's a new wave ahead of us in college basketball.

Will it come down to Billy Gillispie? or Tom Crean? Why would either of these guys do any better than Tubby Smith did? I hope every major college coach stays away from Kentucky and for once men will rise up and say Money isn't everything!!! College basketball has always been about something other then BIG money. And to me that's been the honor of college basketball. Money will ruin college basketball the same way it did the NBA if people don't wake up. It looks to me like we are (waking up).

Mark Few will not go there!!! I hope John Calipari doesn't go there...I really like him a lot. I disagree that this situation is anything like the Notre Dame situation. This is all about BIG MONEY. Kentucky has become so desperate to win they believe that they can lure the BEST coaches away from their universities and players by offering them Millions. Can money buy championships? When it comes to college basketball I hope we will always be able to answer NO!!!

Birddog
04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Well....I guess it could be Gillespie. What do you think Birddog?
This is what the local Sports Morons are positing since supposedly, he has that new A&M contract on his desk unsigned. They also mention Crean, but he is reportedly already knocking down 1.7 in Milwaukee. Why would he want the headaches? It boils down to EGO as much or more than it does the Benjamins IMO. I questioned awhile back whether or not UK would be able to land a guy of high stature. I think Gillespie might be the last high profile guy left. Jay Wright is mentioned as well. I wonder if Tubby is getting a kick out of watching all this crap unfold. He sure started the dominoes falling. Who will look the most foolish Arkansas or Kentucky? At least UK has an AD, Broyles just had the last of his chores reassigned. Oh well he can watch the Masters now. He should have stepped down 5 years ago.And then there's poor K st and their quickie divorce. I think they thought they'd get at least 2 years out of Huggy. This has to be the craziest year ever for coaching moves.

Birddog

PS What about Reggie Theus? He should be on someone's list, maybe K St or A&M if Billy bolts.

DrDrivel
04-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Another reason Barnes should never leave: he's not very good and people are more likely to realize this in a school that pays attention to its basketball program.

Rubbadub
04-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Another reason Barnes should never leave: he's not very good and people are more likely to realize this in a school that pays attention to its basketball program.

Agreed. Nice guy, good recruiter, but man was he terrible at game planning. At times it was like he wanted to keep the ball AWAY from Durant.