PDA

View Full Version : Daye Article

Angelo Roncalli
04-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Hmmm....86% FT shooter, too?

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/ocvarsity/article_1642054.php

CDC84
04-05-2007, 08:46 AM
I am not surprised by that 86% clip. He has absolutely perfect form from the charity stripe.

LynetteG
04-05-2007, 08:49 AM
What a great kid! He's good at basketball AND seems like a real standup guy, can put coherent sentences together! VERY well-spoken!! WOW!! Finishing college means a lot to him... geez.. the whole package! Reminds me of someone I know... :)

Rubbadub
04-05-2007, 08:51 AM
"They tell me they think I can make an immediate impact on the team. I can't say I'm going to right away, but people feel I could potentially start or come off the bench and play a lot of minutes."

Down the road, an NBA career could be a possibility. Daye's father, Darren, played in the NBA after playing at UCLA.

"People say it's a possibility," Daye said. "I'm just going to go to college and try and progress my game as much as I can. If I'm fortunate enough to get to the NBA, then it would be a heck of an accomplishment. If not, I'm looking forward to getting a college degree and maybe playing over in Europe or somewhere overseas and maybe come back and maybe work for a business off my business degree or whatever major I choose."

Great kid!

ZagNative
04-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Daye, who started out as a 6-1 freshman, played on the junior varsity team his first year at Woodbridge.

Good night! 9 inches in four years! No wonder the kid's skinny!

But he kept growing physically, along with his game.

"I think I grew leaps and bounds from last year," said Daye. "If you look at most of my stats, they doubled. I worked hard over the summer to get to where I was my senior year and I think all the time and work I put in paid off in the end and I'm ready to move on to college now. The road doesn't stop here, it keeps going.

"I love Orange County but I'm trying to get to know a new place and I'm looking forward to getting up there (at Gonzaga) and training with the team and enjoying my college experience."

Daye is excited about his future home.

"They tell me they think I can make an immediate impact on the team. I can't say I'm going to right away, but people feel I could potentially start or come off the bench and play a lot of minutes."

Sounds like he has Ammo's work ethic. This is going to be fun!

MDABE80
04-05-2007, 09:20 AM
I was at the Northwood game mentioned in the article where Daye hit that shot with 1 sec left. The crowd called his number and he dropped a long bomb. CDC is right. His form is immaculate. He's a notch above 95% of the high school players I've seen. Dad said they all have very high hopes (ie NBA) for the kid. Daye,Sr is a very nice man with lots of realism in him whenis come to his son. He knows the boy needs lots of work but Austin has never shied away from a hard work ethic. Dad knows that talent is a huge component but it's that work ethic that gets you places. Said he's not had to push Austen. He just has it in him.
One thing that stuck with me was the evaluation from Balke Stepp's USA Basketball roomate who was also at the game. Paraphrasing here but he thinks Austen is an NBA guy within 2 years........max 3. He said the kid has good balance in his life but always is in the gym. Sounded good.

thickman1
04-05-2007, 09:31 AM
What a great kid! He's good at basketball AND seems like a real standup guy, can put coherent sentences together! VERY well-spoken!! WOW!! Finishing college means a lot to him... geez.. the whole package! Reminds me of someone I know... :)

Speaking of that Lynette - I saw the other day that Eastern Michigan has come calling according to the rivals board. No mention of any schools in the Spokane area yet...