PDA

View Full Version : How AD's mess up coaching searches

CDC84
04-05-2007, 07:37 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=194409

Angelo Roncalli
04-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Submitted as Exhibit 1 is Santa Clara's coaching "search." SCU has wandered around aimlessly like the Israelites in the desert for what seems like 40 years (OK, it's only been 3 months, but that's eons in the coach replacement business). Having set their sights on Montgomery and now being relegated to sifting through untested assistants from BCS schools, it doesn't look like Coonan is going to be able to fill the Moses role and lead the Broncos to the promised land. Billy Grier to San Diego is a strong indication that USD is viewed in coaching circles as the better job.

NJZag
04-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Not going to talk out of both sides of the mouth -- on the one side, saying the rest of the WCC "must get more competitive" since Gonzaga has raised the bar and then, out of the other side of the mouth, knocking other WCC schools when they make decisions (bad, good, or indifferent) showing a desire for change to do exactly that.

Davey's a great guy. Davey probably should have been given more to work with ($$$, support). Davey's track record after '96 was so-so and the track record seems to be what people who make decisions saw, overlooking contributing factors ($$$, support) that the "deciders" played a role in.

It seems like Keating became SCU's #1 target and the Final Four caused delay in pursuing it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/santaclara/ci_5598692?nclick_check=1

http://media.www.thesantaclara.com/media/storage/paper946/news/2007/04/05/Sports/Youth.The.Key.To.Success-2824678.shtml

http://media.www.thesantaclara.com/media/storage/paper946/news/2007/04/05/Sports/Broncos.Search.For.Davey.Replacement-2824673.shtml

My sense of the situation is that Grier would have been kept waiting until Keating made a decision. So, Grier's going to USD was a wise choice in locking up a sure offer.

CDC84
04-05-2007, 10:41 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=194450

Plenty of ridiculous rumors surfaced about his supposed house hunting in Lexington. (I received an e-mail the other day from a guy who said the design firm for which his sister works had been hired by Billy D's wife to redecorate the house they recently had purchased in Kentucky. Hope the firm can manage without the work.) But no one could present a compelling case for why he'd leave behind the goodwill that flows from two national championships.

brasszag
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Why on earth would you have your coach announce his retirement midseason, and not start contacting candidates THEN? - or have an Assistant announce to take over?

The list over at broncohoops is ridiculously huge.

And I'll accept that their academics are a recruiting disadvantage (to potential coaches) once they start outperforming Air Force (where you have to not only recruit players, but players who are willing to be soldiers).

beatProgram
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
And I'll accept that their academics are a recruiting disadvantage (to potential coaches) once they start outperforming Air Force (where you have to not only recruit players, but players who are willing to be soldiers).

They also have to be able to get into the Air Force Academy. I'm not sure where Air Force ranks among the other academies, but I know that the Coast Guard Academy is one of the most difficult schools in the nation to be accepted into.

Two kids from my graduating class in H.S. back in the day were accepted to one or more of the service academies, and both of them were 4.0 students who excelled in A.P. science courses and had 1450+ SAT scores.

NJZag
04-05-2007, 01:06 PM
There's every reason to believe that talks with Montgomery actually occurred and gave somebody (???) at SCU positive signs he would accept an offer. He was seen on campus on multiple occasions from November to January. Those visits were before the February "retirement" announcement. He admitted to having been "in talks" with SCU when he was interviewed at the SMC game. So something was going on.

As far as military academies, I'm not sure I get your point? Or if it's a logical point?

With regard to Air Force Academy, there is a Prep School component to what they've got at that particular Military Academy. It's where seniors out of conventional high schools go who are either (1) not quite ready to play at Varsity level athletically or (2) not quite at the GPA/SAT combined scores that fall within one standard deviation from the mean of AFA admittees overall. It's essentially a 5th year of high school, and I think they retake their standardized tests during that year too.

Davey is known to have had athletes he wanted to recruit, who met NCAA clearinghouse requirements with room to spare, and who could not pass approval with Admissions. I'm sure he's talked about it in published interviews. If you want to say he was lying, go ahead. But it would not be my impression of the man to be dishonest.

brasszag
04-05-2007, 04:07 PM
No - I'm saying in their job search (that I'm gathering from their board/SCU posters) that some of the potential coaches may not like being "hampered" by the admissions office.

I'd think that it's easier to find top level students who can ball, rather than people who want to be soldiers (and are pretty good students) who can ball... (and there's that pesky 6'5" limit for potential pilots) so I don't buy that - that was my point. I just kinda left out the relevance to the job search...