PDA

View Full Version : The WCC next year

tyra
04-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Lots of talk on the board about where our team is headed. Where do people think the WCC is headed next year? Who will be up and who will be down? And why?

RebornZag
04-05-2007, 09:44 AM
I think that if Gonzaga was going to be dethroaned from being the Champs of the WCC that this year (06-07) might have been the year. The Zags look pretty good going into next year, even without the incoming Freshman class which is rated the best in the WCC and 11th best in the country. The Zags return 6 guys who started last year (Pendo, Pargo, Bouldin, Kuso, Heytvelt & PMAC) plus Micah Downs who played considerable minutes after the team lost Josh. This is a formidable team without the incoming Freshman. I look for another undefeated season in conference play.

Santa Clara loses Sean Dennison and Brandon Rohe. However, the key person they lose is their coach. They seem to be the most likely team to once again contend for the conference championship.

St. Mary's loses Brett Collins (one of their best, if not best players), John Winston and Blake Shelberg (7'1" Center).

San Francisco loses Alan Wiggins Jr., Armondo Surratt (two great players), and Johnny Dukes...They are definately rebuilding.

San Diego loses DeRogatis (their best player), Nir Cohen (their Center), and Theo White.

Loyola Marymount loses two of it's best players: Mathew Knight and John Montgomery.

Pepperdine loses only one Senior Chase Griffen. Pepperdine should have a real good team next year.

Portland loses D. Cooper their best player,Ben Sullivan (their best big man) and Kevin Field (6'11'). They'll definately be rebuilding.

westcoasthoops101
04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
USD returns 4 starters.

brasszag
04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I think undefeated in Conf Play is possible, but unlikely. I'd expect two WCC losses next year, but no more in our house.

With the youth-heavy team we have next year I expect a few shaky games here and there - but hopefully ironed out once we hit WCC play.

zagar
04-05-2007, 10:54 AM
While I think GU is the odds on favorite to win the conference next year, I think most of the other teams will be better next year.

Pepperdine and Wahlberg are getting some good players to come in (not sure which ones yet because of some academic issues) and those sticking around from last year's team know the system. Probably not contending for the top spot, but I think much improved from last year.

USF is picking up a transfer from Texas Tech that should fill in nicely for Wiggins, and they return Quezada and Kellogg. Scoring-wise, Kellogg is one of the better players in the league. They will struggle w/o a true point guard, but you have to remember, USF lost quite a few games last year by only a few points. With the two returning guards and a player inside that showed some flashes in Big 12 play, they likely will win a few more next year.

USD is also bringing back a lot of good, young talent. With Grier at the helm they shouldn't regress and could make some gains.

St. Mary's returns Sahman and Simpson. I think they need a point guard that can score.

SCU, Portland and LMU, I think, will round out the bottom. IronLions or PilotNut can try to convince me otherwise, however.

RebornZag
04-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Posted by brasszag:
I think undefeated in Conf Play is possible, but unlikely. I'd expect two WCC losses next year, but no more in our house.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Who do you think those two losses would be, brasszag? I'm curious? Also not so sure of your idea of a "youth-heavy" team. 6 starters return, plus Micah Downs and Larry G, who could be an equal to Pargo by now. He was his Freshman year anyway. We have three Seniors (Pendo, Kuso, PMAC, 4 Juniors (Heytvelt, Downs, Pargo & Ira Brown) and three Sophs (Larry G., Bouldin and Foster). I see lots of experience here. And maturity. How old is Brown? Something like 25 or older.

The Zags lost 3 conference games last year to: Santa Clara, St. Mary's and Loyola Marymount. We had an overtime win at San Francisco.

I'm sorry but I just don't see evidence that the conference will be better next year accept for Gonzaga. I think Santa Clara will be good but the fact that they will have a new coach will make this tougher for them...change is not easy on a team.

Gonzaga will have the POY in WCC, three players on the first team all WCC (that's usually the top 10 players), the newcomer of the year, and two players on the All Freshman team. I think GU will be to WCC next year what Memphis was to Conference USA this year. Undefeated with two close games away from home.

GoZags
04-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Early favorite for newcomer of the year would be Lowhorn of USF (my opinion)

brasszag
04-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Maybe youth is the wrong way to word it... inexperienced at the D-I level - which means being less consistent.

As to the losses -probably San Diego in the Slim Gym, and maybe SMC (Samhan has a hate on for us - and he's talented) would be my top guesses for our losses. I'd love to be wrong though.

Look at the D-I level experience, though - especially within the (what I gather) pretty complex GU offense.

We've got a lot of guys who have intermittently started, but we've only got 2 guys who will have more than 2 seasons of D-I play: Pendo and Pargo (I gather from BZ's comments that we're probably not going to be seeing PMAC again, much as a lot of us would love to see him remain)

Josh has about a single full season worth of game experience (and has been inconsistant in that) - as does Micah. Larry has sat out a year, and only has a single Frosh campaign under his belt.

We'll almost definitely be the WCC champs, and I think if the chemistry gels we can certainly run the table.

As I posted in another thread - this is a secondary transition year coming up. If we can develop the Frosh and not be forced to rely on them (as I think we did with Bouldin a bit much) I think we'll be very successful. If we have to rely on Frosh - due to injuries, eligibility, etc, then we'll be looking at a similar season as last year. World beaters sometimes, and mediocre others.

gonzagulous
04-05-2007, 11:59 AM
We all know plenty about our freshmen-to-be, but which non-GU team has the best recruit coming in next year? Who are the players that are maybes for Pepperdine right now?

sonuvazag
04-05-2007, 12:06 PM
The only thing about the WCC I want to add is, (and we all already know this but,) those road games are the game of the year for the opponent in every single gym. I wish RPI could account for that disparity where weak teams build their season around one game.

Anyone have thoughts on how to come through the Conference with the right momentum for the NCAA tourney? I'm at a lost.

RebornZag
04-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Dior Lowhorn played in all 32 games for Texas Tech in the 05-06 season, averaging 7.2 ppg and 3.9 rebounds per game. He started 10 games. In his Senior year he was player of the year in the Bay Area averaging 27 ppg.. Lowhorn is 6'7" and weighs 230 lbs.

RebornZag
04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Posted by sonuvazag:
Anyone have thoughts on how to come through the Conference with the right momentum for the NCAA tourney? I'm at a lost.
__________________________________________________ ______________

sonuv: History would indicate that the 10 day layoff between the conference tournament and the beginning of the NCAA tournament hasn't necessarily hurt the Zags. In the last 9 years we've won our first game 7 of those 9 years. So, who knows, maybe the lay off helps us??? Our game this year against Indiana certainly made it look like the layoff hurt us, but this was, indeed, a very, very strange year for the Zags, and there could be a whole variety of reasons why we looked so poorly in that game.

I would also disagree with brasszag about the # of starters coming back. I'd say we had 4 legitimate starters: Heytvelt, Pargo, Bouldin, and Kuso. Kuso was as much of a starter as Mallon, and IMO eventually beat Mallon out for the job. These guys were the starters when Josh got hurt. Mallon was not playing very much at that time (maybe 10 minutes a game) and I think that's where he belonged (behind Pendo and Downs off the bench).

beatProgram
04-05-2007, 12:47 PM
I've never understood how a school like USD or Pepperdine can struggle recruiting quality players.

Have you ever seen Pepperdine's campus? It's ridiculous. Every other girl looks like a Playboy bunny, and the alternates look like extras from the O.C.

If the coaching staff isn't walking the prospects down to the beaches on campus when they're having their little chat session, then every one of them needs to be sent packing.

You could practically wave a letter of intent in front of their face and get them to sign it just by blocking their view of some Pepperdine hottie and promising to step aside if they sign on the dotted line.

:)

DenDiegoZag
04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
USF is picking up a transfer from Texas Tech that should fill in nicely for Wiggins, and they return Quezada and Kellogg. Scoring-wise, Kellogg is one of the better players in the league. They will struggle w/o a true point guard, but you have to remember, USF lost quite a few games last year by only a few points. With the two returning guards and a player inside that showed some flashes in Big 12 play, they likely will win a few more next year.

USF has really pulled in some great transfers over the past few years. I look for them to continue to have those games where they take GU to the wire, but fall just a bit short.

sonuvazag
04-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I have attended LMU at SCU, visited Pepperdine on multiple occasions, and still come back home. I wouldn't have said this before my Cali quest, but the Gonzaga girls aren't that bad without the parkas and snow pants.

Rubbadub
04-05-2007, 01:26 PM
I'd say we had 4 legitimate starters: Heytvelt, Pargo, Bouldin, and Kuso. Kuso was as much of a starter as Mallon, and IMO eventually beat Mallon out for the job. These guys were the starters when Josh got hurt.

Come now, Kuso as a legit starter over Downs?

RebornZag
04-05-2007, 01:29 PM
While reading up on Lowhorn who was ranked 67th on Scout.com I found that Theo Davis was ranked 39th and Micah Downs 28th that same year (05). I found this to be dood news because I've always wondered how good Davis is. Well in 05 he was rated darn good (39th in the Nation).

Further research showed that On Rivals.com Daye is ranked 25th this year (thats 3 ahead of Micah Downs in 05). Daye is rated the 8th best Small Forward in the country, and 4th in California. Further research showed that Gray was rated 56 nationally, and Sacre 94th and the 9th best Center in the country in the class of 07.

Further down the road we have Poling rated 51st best player in America and Theodore 56th. This is on Rivals.com.

We've been really looking for a low post player. It's looking to me to be Theo Davis...What a tandum he and Josh will be (will they call them the shroom kids from Spokane, Wash). At least Josh won't have to carry the Schroom burdon by himself...Theo will be there to share the load. Let's watch for Theo Davis to be Newcomer of the year in the WCC....or possibly Daye.

beatProgram
04-05-2007, 01:32 PM
I have attended LMU at SCU, visited Pepperdine on multiple occasions, and still come back home. I wouldn't have said this before my Cali quest, but the Gonzaga girls aren't that bad without the parkas and snow pants.

You should have been at GU from '98 to '02. Unless you had some kind of beer-gut and sweatpants fetish you were SOL.

I remember visiting UofO several times during that stint and thinking that the schools needed to have some kind of dude-exchange-program. The dopiest of Drakes were walking around with the most incredible bombshell-Daisy's on their arms while the poor schlubs up at GU had just been worn down over time into believing that a hoodie and galoshes were the new little black dress and high-heels.

The former had no idea how good they had it, and the latter had no idea how bad it really was. Both sides needed a dose of the other to get them back to reality :)

Of course these days the beauty embargo seems to have been lifted at GU.

sonuvazag
04-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Of course these days the beauty embargo seems to have been lifted at GU.
Hilarious. ;) Does it have anything to do with all the high profile potential multi-million dollar NBA prospects in the area? I would assume winning the NBA Draft lottery pays out for the entourage and groupies also.

cair3
04-05-2007, 02:53 PM
i played against kellogg and dior in highschool as well as gurgarious and quite a few other wcc players... plus some others at big time schools. From my experiences Dior was a more dominating player than all the other players I played against, he caused huge matchup problems. I imagine he is similar to ira brown because he is very strong, can jump quite high, is a good three point shooter but to short to belong down low and lacking the handles to be a true guard. Although I believe he will make a better college player than most others ranked above and around him, his rankings seemed to reflect his lack of potential and experts inability to peg him in a classic position or role... look for USF to be improved (if it weren't for our coaching advantage i would expect to split the series with them).

lothar98zag
04-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Lots of talk on the board about where our team is headed. Where do people think the WCC is headed next year? Who will be up and who will be down? And why?

FWIW, here's another thread about next year in the WCC:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=1226

CDC84
04-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Tyrone Shelley at Pepperdine and Patrick Mills at St. Mary's are two WCC newcomers to keep your eye on. Shelley is one the best U.S. prep players to commit to a non-Gonzaga WCC school in quite awhile. He's going to thrive in Walberg's system. Extremely athletic wing with finishing ability.

Mills is a high level Australian PG that is going to be an impact player in the WCC from day one...he's one of Australia's best prospects, and could very well be a NBA baller one day:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=30072&sport=2

http://smcgaels.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/110806aaa.html