PDA

View Full Version : Raivio a "player to watch" at the PIT

soonerterp
04-05-2007, 03:11 AM
Rob Reheuser, nba.com (http://www.nba.com/features/pit_070404.html)

Like many of the players in camp this week, Raivio will likely be evaluated on his ability to play the point. He’s quick, and has proven he can knock down shots. He’s also an exceptional free throw shooter (96 percent). Can he make people around him better?

(Assuming he still went, of course)

This also stuck out to me as well:

With an increasing number of underclassmen and international players taking up spots in Orlando, seniors who balk at playing in the PIT run the risk of being shut out of the pre-draft circuit completely. This, coupled with the NBA’s ban on all individual workouts with NBA teams prior to June 5, paints a bleak picture for those who choose not to take advantage of a Portsmouth invite.

Rubbadub
04-05-2007, 07:39 AM
No coverage on nbatv and i can't find anything about online video. Hopefully they update us frequently :(

LynetteG
04-05-2007, 08:09 AM
he's listed on the roster, and his team plays today
Thursday, April 05, 2007
Game 5 - 9pm (Box Scores)
NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD -
NORFOLK SPORTS CLUB -
http://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/

Team: NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD
Coaches: Billy Mann & John Kelly

Name College Pos. HT WT PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3PT FT%
Ian Vouyoukas St. Louis C 6’10” 270 12.6 7.3 1.5 0.3 1.8 51.7 22.7 60.3
Rashaun Freeman* Massachusetts F 6’9” 255 14.7 8.3 0.8 0.6 0.4 60.9 0.0 57.4
Carl Landry* Purdue F 6’7” 252 18.9 7.3 1.2 1.2 0.9 59.7 21.1 72.6
Lester Abram Michigan F 6’6” 200 9.0 3.7 2.2 0.9 0.3 43.2 29.2 77.1
Torrell Martin* Winthrop G 6’5” 200 14.5 5.7 1.5 1.1 0.2 49.7 37.0 62.1
Ron Lewis Ohio State G 6’4” 200 12.8 3.6 1.3 0.9 0.4 43.3 35.8 77.8
Derek Raivio* Gonzaga G 6’3” 177 18.0 3.1 2.6 1.5 0.0 45.3 40.9 96.1
Jamar WilsonZ Albany G 6’1” 185 18.6 6.3 4.9 1.3 0.3 45.2 38.2 75.0
* Indicates All-Conference ••••• Z Indicates Conference Player of the Year ••••• Y DII Player of the Year

LynetteG
04-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Video: http://www.ccnsports.tv/event.php?event=10335

RebornZag
04-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Lynette: I followed the link and it took me to a video screen. Will Derek's game be shown on this link tonight? And at 9:00 pm? Thanks!!!

LynetteG
04-05-2007, 08:57 AM
reborn,
i think that's eastern time, so try 6p here. Try to catch the first game of games 3-5, which starts at 1215p our time to see if the video works.

Game 3 - 3:15pm (Box Scores)
TIDEWATER SEALANTS -
BEACH BARTON FORD -

btw, saw this nugget on Derek, too, from usatoday.

—Derek Raivio leads the nation in foul shooting at 96.1 percent, and even though Butler's A.J. Graves is less than one percentage point behind, it is highly unlikely Graves will get enough attempts in his remaining postseason games to pass Raivio.

RebornZag
04-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Nothing at 12:15...I'll keep trying

ZagMania
04-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Anyone had any luck getting the games to play? I haven't and would really love to see Drav play again.

sanfranzagsguy20
04-05-2007, 01:31 PM
this is exciting...but don't any of these guys still have class? i know gu spring break has passed...just curious if all these guys have completed their academic requirements...virginia is a long way away from washington for someone who still is in school....just wondering it seems precarious

RebornZag
04-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Zagmania: I finally got it. Luck!!! Go to the link that Lynette gave us and when you get to the page at the top in colored letters (I think red,green, blue) you'll see c c n. Underthat it says college coaches netowork. Just click on that and it should bring you in. Once it lists the game it'll read (inside the screen) connecting. Click on the forward arrow > meaning go forward...I'm in. Let me know if you get in.

A game is just starting so I'm assuming Drav's is the next one.

RebornZag
04-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Sorry Zagmania: that wasn't it. It is just "Game of the Week." I'm with Zagmania. I need help. Has anyone figured out how to get the game?

lothar98zag
04-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Just and FYI - while tracking DR's performance at the PIT may be fun - it's highly probable that nobody playing in this event gets drafted. Best case scenario is 3 or 4 participants actually getting drafted.

Oregon Zag
04-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Zagmania: I finally got it. Luck!!! Go to the link that Lynette gave us and when you get to the page at the top in colored letters (I think red,green, blue) you'll see c c n. Underthat it says college coaches netowork. Just click on that and it should bring you in. Once it lists the game it'll read (inside the screen) connecting. Click on the forward arrow > meaning go forward...I'm in. Let me know if you get in.

A game is just starting so I'm assuming Drav's is the next one.

I got it, too, but the date was from November on the video.

LynetteG
04-05-2007, 08:33 PM
DRav's team lost and he had a terrible game

NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD - 61
NORFOLK SPORTS CLUB - 81

Total 3-point Rebounds
## Player p fgm-fga fgm-fga ftm-fta off-def tot pf tp a to blk stl min

04 RAIVIO,Derek * 1-10 0-3 0-0 0-2 2 1 2 2 3 0 1 26

dawgman1999
04-05-2007, 10:47 PM
DRav's team lost and he had a terrible game

NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD - 61
NORFOLK SPORTS CLUB - 81

Total 3-point Rebounds
## Player p fgm-fga fgm-fga ftm-fta off-def tot pf tp a to blk stl min

04 RAIVIO,Derek * 1-10 0-3 0-0 0-2 2 1 2 2 3 0 1 26

Just don't see him playing in the NBA. He's not physical enough to play there. A huge liability on the defensive end, and not able to be physical enough to create his own shot. A fine player in the WCC, but way over matched in the league. Think about it: he's worse than Santangelo and Stepp, and those 2 didn't make it. Dickau was a late first rounder and is now a fringe player. Stepp is stronger than him, the other three are all better passer than him. The only thing he does better than everybody is FT, which when you get 0 min in a game, is worth 0 pt. He has no speed, not good enough passing skills to play in the NBA.

soonerterp
04-06-2007, 01:39 AM
I went to look at the box before I came here.

Wow that sucked for him. Bad time to have an off game.

In the words of the immortal Woody Guthrie, so long, been good ta know yuh.

[EDITED]

CDC84
04-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Derek needs to get that passport ready. He's going to make a lot of bread playing overseas......

billyberu
04-06-2007, 08:00 AM
He had no problem lighting you guys up. He may not be getting drafted, but you make it seem like he has the plague. Wait a minute...you pretty much do that with all of our players. Man are you a broken record or what.

LynetteG
04-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Derek needs to get that passport ready. He's going to make a lot of bread playing overseas......

this is exactly what my husband said. he'll do well there.

SLOZag
04-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Looks like he might be pressing a bit:
http://www.nba.com/features/pit_070406.html

soonerterp
04-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Looks like he might be pressing a bit:
http://www.nba.com/features/pit_070406.html

I think you're right. But to me from looking at the box scores it's still like the guy at Portsmouth is some kind of pod person like from Invasion of the Body Snatchers while the real DR is probably hogtied in a broom closet somewhere in the greater Spokane area. It isn't like DR suddenly forgot how to shoot or pass or penetrate when his college career ended (prematurely), so yeah I'd think he's pressing too.

If I remember the box score correctly, he had five assists (but 2 turnovers) Friday.

Even so, there's no downside to playing ball in Europe ... except maybe for the lack of exposure and to be honest, the European leagues seem to be getting MORE exposure and it will increase in the coming years as more and more players, European and non-European alike (recent example: Portland's Ime Udoka tooled around Europe a while before landing a spot with the Trail Blazers), start showing up on NBA rosters.

Zag79
04-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Think about it: he's worse than Santangelo and Stepp, and those 2 didn't make it. Dickau was a late first rounder and is now a fringe player. Stepp is stronger than him, the other three are all better passer than him.

dickau and stepp were both better than nate robinson, who IS playing. oh yeah, a 3rd reason i dont watch much nba. raivio lit up many a great BCS schools in his time here, remember we dont only play wcc games year round. didnt he put up 20 something on your boys? anyway, going to europe and getting alot of minutes will be excellent for him. LOTSA money, beautiful women, good basketball, and TEAM hoops. nice.

edited to add, Torrell Martin of Winthrop is on Dravs team and went 1-10 as well. would like to see Torrell do good as well.

soonerterp
04-07-2007, 03:16 AM
anyway, going to europe and getting alot of minutes will be excellent for him. LOTSA money, beautiful women, good basketball, and TEAM hoops. nice.

edited to add, Torrell Martin of Winthrop is on Dravs team and went 1-10 as well. would like to see Torrell do good as well.

Good point about Torrell Martin.

soonerterp
04-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Looks like Big D woke up:

14 points on 6-10 shooting, 3 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 TO in 25 minutes. His team, Norfolk Naval Shipyard, beat the Tidewater Sealants 113-94.

NJZag
04-07-2007, 07:40 PM
http://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/scores.html

soonerterp
04-10-2007, 03:09 AM
Absolute final words on the PIT, I promise:

Rob Reheuser, nba.com (http://www.nba.com/news/pit_070409.html)

Gonzaga’s Derek Raivio finally awoke, scoring 14 points in his swan song to cap a pretty disappointing performance. Raivio is better than he showed, but has holes in his game he’ll need to address to earn a shot in the NBA, most notably, improving his strength and ball-handling.

CDC84
04-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Raivio is better than he showed, but has holes in his game he’ll need to address to earn a shot in the NBA, most notably, improving his strength and ball-handling.

Ballhandling? There aren't many players at the division one level that can handle a basketball better than D-Rav. He can dribble thru a mine field. Maybe he had a few turnovers, but that is one evaluation that is enormously off base. I can think of several weaknesses in his game, but that simply isn't one of them.

soonerterp
04-10-2007, 11:52 AM
It's too bad he couldn't show all that he's made of at PIT. Still, it seems the writer believes in his ability. I know I do! (I'm slightly biased, though.)

It doesn't bode well for him but odd things have been known to happen. My fear is that a poor showing at PIT (which, depending on which analyst you read is either a huge waste of time or something that still has some relevance -- read at hoopshype.com that NBA scouts seemed generally down on the talent that showed up at PIT this year) will cause NBA scouts -- especially those that don't follow college basketball that closely or think college basketball is irrelevant -- to take a pass on inviting him to training camp -- a shot I think Raivio is worthy of.

mee75, I haven't been posting this stuff all week to irritate everybody ... I thought it would be of interest to everyone since Raivio was a well-regarded and now very recent former Zag ... I followed the Terps that were at Portsmouth too (Ekene Ibekwe and Mike Jones -- DJ Strawberry pulled out of the PIT) and last time I checked neither one of them was projected to be drafted either, much like DR.

soonerterp
04-11-2007, 02:48 AM
Sooner...
I KNOW you're not posting this stuff to irritate people! Please don't think that! I love that you keep me up to date on all the Raivio info. I'm a total blind-sided fan of his -- all news is good news to me!

Keep on posting!

Thank you. I have always considered myself a pest so I really appreciate that vote of confidence from you. :)

RanchZagFan
04-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Anybody know if Raivio will be invited to the NBA pre-draft camp in Orlando?

Drafted or not (and he's likely not to be), I think Raivio will be invited to a NBA camp this summer. Seems like a bit of a longshot to make a team this year, but guessing he'll make some very nice coin with a team in Europe.

lothar98zag
04-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Anybody know if Raivio will be invited to the NBA pre-draft camp in Orlando?

Drafted or not (and he's likely not to be), I think Raivio will be invited to a NBA camp this summer. Seems like a bit of a longshot to make a team this year, but guessing he'll make some very nice coin with a team in Europe.
I think it's very unluckly he'll play in any other pre-draft camps.