PDA

View Full Version : Question for our Canadian friends

BobZag
07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
So, if Gonzaga wants the best guard they can get in Canada, who do they choose?

Emerson Murray
Kevin Pangos
Brady Heslip

And why?

cjm720
07-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Does Corey Joseph count as well?

jbslicer
07-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Is CoJo related to MoJo?

dim4sum
07-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Based on edited video stuff I've seen, probably Kevin Pangos. Only caveat is that he seems overly cocky. If he's as good as he thinks he is (and many agree), he may be the first Canadian to ever go "one and done" and Few may not buy into that.

ZagNative
07-29-2009, 12:52 PM
FWIW regarding Kevin Pangos, per basketball.ca (http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=3266), the Canadian Senior men came out of their play in Italy 2-1, losing to host Italy and beating New Zealand and Portugal.

thespywhozaggedme
07-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Does Corey Joseph count as well?

He's going to Kansas or joining his bro in Minny.

thespywhozaggedme
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Is CoJo related to MoJo?

First cousins. Three Josephs, soon to be four playing D1 ball. Devoe-Minny, Mojo-Vermont, Kris Joesph-Syracuse, Corey-KU or Minny.

As to Bob's op; my track record with Canadian recruits speaks for itself, 3 outta 4 aint too shabby. If We can get Steve Nash 2.0, and no, that isn't hyperbole; getter done. Also, Murray is more of a combo guard, so why not both? Brady is a '10, so there in lies the problem with him.

Kevin Pangos a 16 year old, junior to be 6'0 pg just finished up a tourney in Italy with the Canadian team...the senior team. 'Nuff said.

BobZag
07-29-2009, 01:56 PM
FWIW regarding Kevin Pangos, per basketball.ca (http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=3266), the Canadian Senior men came out of their play in Italy 2-1, losing to host Italy and beating New Zealand and Portugal.

Any stats/box scores from those games?

ZagNative
07-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Sorry. I couldn't find any stats. I'll take another run at it, though.

TM27
07-29-2009, 02:59 PM
As to Bob's op; my track record with Canadian recruits speaks for itself, 3 outta 4 aint too shabby.

Honest question...what is this track record you speak of? This is the second time you mentioned it? I assume you are referring to Sacre, Manny, Kelly, (or Bol), and then of course Pierre....but I am not sure I follow? Did you introduce GU boards (scout in Pierre's case) to these players, is that what you are referring to?

uCANdoit
07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
No doubt in my mind that Kevin Pangos is the best prospect out of that group, and is it just me or is Kevin Pangos going into his sophomore year (according to hoopstarscanada.com)? As for the other prospects I don't think Heslip is quite as good as they make him out to be, being that he is an under sized SG with limited athletic abilities, and although he is a great shooter I think you can get a more all around player. Emerson Murray I think has a lot of potential and is a freak athlete, but I don't think his game is very polished yet and playing against white Canadians I don't think we have really seen how good he is in the bigger picture. One guy that from Canada I recently got a chance to see play was Reese Pribilsky. This kid is really under the radar, and even I was at the game scouting a different player, but I quickly realized Pribilsky was the one to watch. He is a Pure PG who is playing for the BC Team. His court vision and passing skills are something that cannot be taught, and his craftiness and ballhandling ability were really fun to watch. Although I'm not sure he is the kind of recruit your looking for, I am going to keep an eye on him and I hope some D1 team picks him up. Also if your looking for a Canadian with NBA potential you should be talking about Anthony Bennett.

From NBADraft.net

"Another sophomore in the top 5. Bennett is a beast and is just going to get better. His athleticism is on an elite level already, and although he's not as fluid his leaping ability is on the level with a player such as Andre Iguodala. Itís still very early because heís so young, but he does have the tools already to be a legit NBA prospect."

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/10364

BobZag
07-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Bennett is Canadian?

thespywhozaggedme
07-29-2009, 04:54 PM
No doubt in my mind that Kevin Pangos is the best prospect out of that group, and is it just me or is Kevin Pangos going into his sophomore year (according to hoopstarscanada.com)? As for the other prospects I don't think Heslip is quite as good as they make him out to be, being that he is an under sized SG with limited athletic abilities, and although he is a great shooter I think you can get a more all around player. Emerson Murray I think has a lot of potential and is a freak athlete,. but I don't think his game is very polished yet and playing against white Canadians I don't think we have really seen how good he is in the bigger picture One guy that from Canada I recently got a chance to see play was Reese Pribilsky. This kid is really under the radar, and even I was at the game scouting a different player, but I quickly realized Pribilsky was the one to watch. He is a Pure PG who is playing for the BC Team. His court vision and passing skills are something that cannot be taught, and his craftiness and ballhandling ability were really fun to watch. Although I'm not sure he is the kind of recruit your looking for, I am going to keep an eye on him and I hope some D1 team picks him up. Also if your looking for a Canadian with NBA potential you should be talking about Anthony Bennett.

From NBADraft.net

"Another sophomore in the top 5. Bennett is a beast and is just going to get better. His athleticism is on an elite level already, and although he's not as fluid his leaping ability is on the level with a player such as Andre Iguodala. Itís still very early because heís so young, but he does have the tools already to be a legit NBA prospect."

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/10364

That's an extremely racist comment and surprised it hasn't been deleted yet. To state that a players skin color determines his ability is the very definition of racism. Would it have been acceptable for you to write that "since Murray has only played against black Canadian we don't know ho good he is?" Sorry to vent, I'm just so sick of these types of comments. Skin is nothing more then clothing, irrelevant and has no bearing on one's talent. Okay, rant over.

uCANdoit
07-29-2009, 05:28 PM
I was just using that stereotype jokingly (white men can't jump). I obviously know there are a lot of good white basketball players haha, but I was just trying to express the fact that BC high school basketball isn't as high a caliber as in the states and there aren't as many high flying athletes so its hard to tell how effective Emerson would be if the playing field was more leveled (He'll be an elite athlete no matter where he is)

ZagNative
07-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I don't agree with spy that remark is racist, and in any event he was unnecessarily harsh on a newcomer to the board. Sheesh.

sittingon50
07-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Hey Spy, I'm pretty politically correct & I didn't read it that way.

I would invite everyone over for a beer (as that seems to be the teachable moment liquid of choice these days) but alas, I don't drink.

dim4sum
07-30-2009, 07:41 AM
In every instance, reality overrrides political correctness. I don't think there was any intent of racism in that remark. Statistics speak volumes. 80 percent or so of the players in the NBA, and a high percentage in Div 1, are black.
Connect the dots. I think political correctness has done a disservice to free speech.

cjm720
07-30-2009, 07:52 AM
I think political correctness has done a disservice to free speech.

It's also making us and future generations a bunch of pansies and in many cases mis-informed about the true issues.

Wait.....GO ZAGS!!!!

jake
07-30-2009, 08:06 AM
If this is too xenophobic feel free to delete it, but is there a point where we have too many foreigners on the roster? To me, if we got to a point where half the team was foreign that might be overkill, but maybe I'm the only one with that opinion. That being said, I'm certainly not saying cut off foreign recruiting or don't go after Player X, Y, and Z. It's just a question I had as I keep reading about the latest in potential Canadian recruits.

frontrangezag
07-30-2009, 08:13 AM
"but I don't think his game is very polished yet and playing against white Canadians I don't think we have really seen how good he is in the bigger picture"

So True.