PDA

View Full Version : The 2011 Recruit Pool Just Got Better

SLOZag
07-27-2009, 11:57 PM
As has been predicted for some time now, it appears Nick Johnson has just committed to Findlay Prep:

"Nick Johnson won't be playing for a state championship next basketball season. He'll be playing for a national championship.

"Findlay, a prep academy that houses the players in a Las Vegas suburb home and travels for games, is not part of the Nevada prep association. It went 33-0 last season, giving Oak Hill Academy its only loss last season in the final of the first ESPN RISE National High School Invitational in April. Johnson said he will live in the coach's house and was told that he'll basically replace McDonald's All-American combo guard Avery Bradley, who is now at Texas.

"Johnson said he was sold on the program last week when he was playing in a showcase tournament in Las Vegas. He said his mother Michelle first approached him with the idea of playing there two weeks ago.

""When we went to Vegas, I met with the coaches," the 6-foot-3 guard said before leading the Oakland Soldiers in an AAU game Monday at the second Desert Duel Summer Prep Memorial at Gilbert Mesquite High. "They really inspired me to come there.""

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/preps/se/articles/2009/07/27/20090727desertduel0728.html

cjm720
07-28-2009, 07:26 AM
These prep academies sure don't stand up to the snuff test IMO.

Go zags!!

cbbfanatic
07-28-2009, 07:59 AM
Honest question - how does this make the 2011 recruiting pool any better?

Colbyspapa
07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
On Findlay Prep's web site. In their Mission Statement, they have a cut and paste statement from the Henderson International School.

How are these kids eligible? At least at the IMG Academies in Bradenton, FL, the kids have to go to Bradenton Academy or St. Stephen's Episcopal School (both with a 95% college placement and high average SAT scores). I think that there is a place for these sports academies but only if the athletes are required to get their high school education at or exceeding the level of a public high school. Otherwise it teaches these kids that education is not that important. Just my opinion.

http://www.findlayprep.com/

ZagNative
07-28-2009, 09:49 AM
IMO, this isn't good news for the Zags. Johnson is looking to increase his national exposure and the number of elite college programs recruiting him. He already has an offer from Gonzaga. He's obviously looking for more attention from other schools.

Reborn
07-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I like the Johnson Kid a lot. I watched his videos yesterday, and I saw a lot of Pargo in him...you know, the way this guy can dunk. Wow!!! But if we don't get him it's also okay, and we move on. It may not be meant to be. I feel pretty good about our wing corps in the future. I think what we need more that an athletic guard like Pargo, is a guard who can flat out shoot threes CONSISTENTLY. I think our inconsistency from behind the arc has really hurt us overall. We have good 3 pt shooters in Matt and Steven, but in my opinion, neither are consistent, and both have other real strong moves. The shooter would be a Wyatt Erp type of guy who puts fear into opposing teams every time he steps on the court. North Carolina had a kid who could do that (sorry I forgot his name) last year (and for a few years). This was the guy who buried 3 three-point shots in a row after Gonzaga had trimmed Carolina's lead to 9 points in the second half. I remember the moment all to well. Carolina's coach calls time out, and on comes this kid, and in a matter of a minute and a half the lead goes back up to 15 and the game now seems out of reach.

Could Brady Heslip be that kind of a guy? He sure seems like he can shoot, and has tons of confidence. We had a great discussion on the kid yesterday, but most people felt recruiting him would make no sense. I disagree. We need a shooter. A pure shooter.

BroncoZAG615
07-28-2009, 12:34 PM
On Findlay Prep's web site. In their Mission Statement, they have a cut and paste statement from the Henderson International School.

How are these kids eligible? At least at the IMG Academies in Bradenton, FL, the kids have to go to Bradenton Academy or St. Stephen's Episcopal School (both with a 95% college placement and high average SAT scores). I think that there is a place for these sports academies but only if the athletes are required to get their high school education at or exceeding the level of a public high school. Otherwise it teaches these kids that education is not that important. Just my opinion.

http://www.findlayprep.com/

They go to Henderson International for their education. Findlay is just a travel team that acts kind of as a boarding school/travel team. They are still getting educated but like Oak Hill etc, basketball is a major priority.

SLOZag
07-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Honest question - how does this make the 2011 recruiting pool any better?

The 2011 pool gets better when more quality people join it. By going to Findlay in 2010, Nick in essence joins the class of 2011 for college recruiting purposes.

Is that development better for GU? Probably not -- it reduces the chances (slim in my view anyway) that Nick will be under the radar when he decides. But if Nick is sincere in his leaning toward our program, and we can put off having to pick a point guard with a precious 2010 vacancy (when we might not pick a point guard, anyway), then you could argue its good for us -- and good for him too (it would put him into the lineup another year behind two potentially great point guards). Just my thoughts.

CarolinaZagFan
07-28-2009, 02:17 PM
I like the Johnson Kid a lot. I watched his videos yesterday, and I saw a lot of Pargo in him...you know, the way this guy can dunk. Wow!!! But if we don't get him it's also okay, and we move on. It may not be meant to be. I feel pretty good about our wing corps in the future. I think what we need more that an athletic guard like Pargo, is a guard who can flat out shoot threes CONSISTENTLY. I think our inconsistency from behind the arc has really hurt us overall. We have good 3 pt shooters in Matt and Steven, but in my opinion, neither are consistent, and both have other real strong moves. The shooter would be a Wyatt Erp type of guy who puts fear into opposing teams every time he steps on the court. North Carolina had a kid who could do that (sorry I forgot his name) last year (and for a few years). This was the guy who buried 3 three-point shots in a row after Gonzaga had trimmed Carolina's lead to 9 points in the second half. I remember the moment all to well. Carolina's coach calls time out, and on comes this kid, and in a matter of a minute and a half the lead goes back up to 15 and the game now seems out of reach.

Could Brady Heslip be that kind of a guy? He sure seems like he can shoot, and has tons of confidence. We had a great discussion on the kid yesterday, but most people felt recruiting him would make no sense. I disagree. We need a shooter. A pure shooter.

I understand what you're saying and agree, but if I remember correctly you're thinking of Bobby Frasor from UNC. He is far from a kid who is a dead-eye shooter, in fact he is a 27% three point shooter and apparantly just wanted to get lucky against us and end up making that game sting forever :mad:

cbbfanatic
07-28-2009, 04:47 PM
The 2011 pool gets better when more quality people join it. By going to Findlay in 2010, Nick in essence joins the class of 2011 for college recruiting purposes.

Is that development better for GU? Probably not -- it reduces the chances (slim in my view anyway) that Nick will be under the radar when he decides. But if Nick is sincere in his leaning toward our program, and we can put off having to pick a point guard with a precious 2010 vacancy (when we might not pick a point guard, anyway), then you could argue its good for us -- and good for him too (it would put him into the lineup another year behind two potentially great point guards). Just my thoughts.

ok, so he reclassified? got it, thanks.

BobZag
07-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Nick was and still is a 2011 prospect.

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Go zags!!

+1

Shanachie
07-28-2009, 08:12 PM

Go zags!!

Agreed. As I said in this thread (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=445785&mode=linear#post445785), I wouldn't feel great about landing a kid from Findlay. I'm not questioning any of the kids' integrity, I'm just saying I don't like the whole situation at Findlay.

Here's a Sports Illustrated article from this spring: SI Article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/highschool/04/09/findlay.prep/index.html)

In any case, I agree with some in this thread that Johnson's transfer to Findlay indicates that he might have his sights set on a higher profile program.

BobZag
07-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Don't assume Gonzaga is out of it.

Remember, the Zags were looking at Victor Rudd at Findley before getting Kelly Olynyk. My guess is, the Zags will keep on Johnson. He seems to be that good.