PDA

View Full Version : BZ's radical recruiting strategery

BobZag
07-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Unless Tommy Lloyd can secure a European phenom, don't offer any 2010 scholies. Scholies are few and precious, and 2010 offers no truly special prospects. Gonzaga must be super selective.

With only Matt Bouldin and Will Foster graduating, leave a scholie open for 2010 in case a high-level player wishes to transfer to GU, someone who would impact the team, much like Dan Dickau or Erroll Knight.

With 2011 being so loaded, it is imperative to leave as many open scholies as possible for that year. Prospects like Gary Bell, Jr. and Kyle Wiltjer would be difference-makers and help Gonzaga's ascension as a national program and team.

So in short, skip 2010 (unless a phenom is found) and go all-out for 2011.

Do not settle for "good." Strive for "great."

Your thoughts?

CDC84
07-24-2009, 11:09 AM
I am behind you 100%. They can always give that 2010 schoolie to a walk on if a transfer doesn't emerge.

Getting Bell and Wiltjer would be huge for Gonzaga.

hls97
07-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Where would Bell and Wiltjer fall -- as recruits and based on upside potential -- compared to some of our recent recruits?

Would they be considered similar from a rating standpoint as Daye? Pargo?

Or are these guys likely to blow up into even bigger national recruits than those guys such that it would represent GU turning a corner in recruiting?

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-24-2009, 11:35 AM
It's been talked about here before, and Leon Rice also mentions it in a recent interview with SSF, that the staff doesn't fully know what they've got with the *2010* recruiting class. It might be wise to get a better look at these players before before making any further recruiting decisions.

IMO, at least one extra schollie has to be pushed back to 2011, if not two. One is a no brainer, and two is a definite possibility.

EDIT: originally put 2009, meant to say 2010

BobZag
07-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Where would Bell and Wiltjer fall -- as recruits and based on upside potential -- compared to some of our recent recruits?

Would they be considered similar from a rating standpoint as Daye? Pargo?

Or are these guys likely to blow up into even bigger national recruits than those guys such that it would represent GU turning a corner in recruiting?

I wouldn't say bigger than Daye, he did just go #15 in the draft. I think it's safe to say that if Gonzaga got Bell and Wiltjer, it would continue to elevate the program and keep the Zags in the national discussion.

I flat-out would not give a 2010 scholie unless an unforseen stud wants to transfer or a foreign phenom is found. Redshirt a 2009 Zag or two and call that your 2010 class.

MickMick
07-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't say bigger than Daye, he did just go #15 in the draft. I think it's safe to say that if Gonzaga got Bell and Wiltjer, it would continue to elevate the program and keep the Zags in the national discussion.

I flat-out would not give a 2010 scholie unless an unforseen stud wants to transfer or a foreign phenom is found. Redshirt a 2009 Zag or two and call that your 2010 class.

There will likely be a player for Gonzaga that will become disgruntled because of playing time. A situation similar to Larry G. When bench players are good enough to start for a different program, they occasionally move on.

Bell could move into a starting role early. There are players on the team that know that.

Edit: From the interview with Leon Rice in "Slipper Still Fits", it seems that the coaching staff wants to sit on the current roster for awhile and evaluate what they really have. After the analysis, they will target a specific position of need (if required).

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-24-2009, 03:27 PM
There will likely be a player for Gonzaga that will become disgruntled because of playing time. A situation similar to Larry G. When bench players are good enough to start for a different program, they occasionally move on.

Excellent point. Frankly, I'd be surprised if everyone from the 2010 class and our two redshirts from 2009 all played four years at GU. Like you said, Mick, why sit when you can play?

ZagNative
07-24-2009, 03:53 PM
I wonder if DeCourcy's column yesterday (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-07-23/never-know-which-fab-frosh-might-fall-your-program) adds strength to the argument to keep one open, just in case coaching changes at other schools again unleash a torrent of elite players looking to be let out of their letters of intent in the spring, ala GJ Vilarino at Kentucky.
A half-dozen years ago, all these coaches would have faced dramatically different circumstances this season. It was extremely uncommon then for a player to be released from a letter of intent because the coach he signed to play for was fired -- or hired by another program.

The letter of intent now has become so easy to escape there is no real disadvantage for prospects to sign in November. A player can get a guaranteed spot at his first choice, stop all the recruiting calls and hassle. And if a coaching change alters the circumstances in a way he does not like, he merely can request a release and go shopping again, in a buyer's market.

Reborn
07-24-2009, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't say to NOT go for someone this year, and save both of the schollies available for 2011. Let's wait and see what happens. There are a couple pretty good basketball players available for 2010. I think Gonzaga will get one for 2010 and have 2 available for 2011.

One thing that I see happen here on the boards that I used to get caught up in, is thinking that we can get a certain player that a some bloggers here like and THEY(the bloggers) go after them all summer and believe that GU will get them. I don't get all that caught up in the recruiting wars like I used to because of this. It is interesting to follow for sure, because I am following a few kids that Gonzaga went after pretty hard and I followed them during their AAU careers in the summers. It seems like every year though we do land a very very good young man. Austin Daye, Steven Gray, Matt Bouldin, and this year it was Dower. I am now feeling that GJ is also going to be a great player but he was a huge surprise I think whereas Dower was someone we all followed for quite a long time. Here is my question.

If there was one guy out there for 2010 that you think we could get, and he would help Gonzaga immediately, who would that one guy be.

dim4sum
07-24-2009, 06:36 PM
My take on this is to wait until January or February, if they are to offer at all.
There may be some under the radar JC or foreign talent emerge....say a JP Batista clone at some obscure JC. If no one of that ilk emerges--only then save the scholie. As it is, this team appears seven deep for the next four years, unless one of the seven explodes and wants NBA money early.

tyra
07-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Unless one of the seven explodes and wants NBA money early . . .
Or unless one or more gets seriously injured . . .
Or unless one or more grows dissatisfied with playing time and transfers . . .
Or unless one or more doesn't turn out to be as talented as we all hope and think . . .
Unless . . . unless . . . unless . . .

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-24-2009, 07:57 PM
If there was one guy out there for 2010 that you think we could get, and he would help Gonzaga immediately, who would that one guy be.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I really, really like Yannick Atanga. Tough, physical, athletic, defensive minded. Although I'm not sure if I'd describe him as someone who would/could immediately contribute simply because he hasn't been playing basketball very long, which means his offensive skill set is gonna be a little behind the curve. On the other hand, his strengths are in aspects of the game that don't necessarily require a lot of acclimation time in order to make an immediate impact at the college level, i.e., you don't have to be a master of the playbook in order to play physical defense and hustle.

AzZag
07-24-2009, 09:07 PM
My questions:

1. Who is out there in the 2010 class that we would even consider?

2. Who is out there in the 2010 class that would even consider us?

SpudDawg
07-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I likes me some strategery. Heh, heh, heh ...

My knee-jerk reaction is to say, "No! We must bring in recruits in 2010! That's the way we've always done it! You kids get out of my yard!"

But after taking a breath and a step back, I think it's an intriguing idea. We are going to be so deep with youth this season. I like the idea of looking for a good JC kid, and if we don't get one in '10, hang on to the scholarships for 2011.

Reborn
07-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I've said now since I began posting here. I wish Gonzaga could get a powerful, strong physical presence in the middle. Something we haven't seen since Roney Turiof. I wonder if Sam Dower is going to be that kind of a presence. Kuso was that, but he was just not tall enough, nor did he have the offensive skills that we need at that position. Sacre, like so many who have gone before him, has not shown me that he is all that tough. I just don't know what Few has against big, tough defensive minded players.

For GU to get better, we need to get tougher.

NotoriousZ
07-24-2009, 10:16 PM
I've said now since I began posting here. I wish Gonzaga could get a powerful, strong physical presence in the middle. Something we haven't seen since Roney Turiof. I wonder if Sam Dower is going to be that kind of a presence. Kuso was that, but he was just not tall enough, nor did he have the offensive skills that we need at that position. Sacre, like so many who have gone before him, has not shown me that he is all that tough. I just don't know what Few has against big, tough defensive minded players.

For GU to get better, we need to get tougher.

You gotta believe Sacre was on the verge of breaking out into something special before the injury. This is one guy who's going to blow some people away next year. That being said, we need a 2011 big--that should be the #1 priority. And maybe there's a 2010 surprise out there that we don't know about.

cjm720
07-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Sound strategery indeed. We need a wing and deep three shooter in the next round of recruits
go zags

zag buddy
07-25-2009, 10:06 AM
It seems to me that Gonzaga is facing new issues in their recruiting. Do they recruit players who will be here four years or do they recruit players who will be more in the Austin Daye mode- two and done. They are entirely different philosophies and demand totally different coaching skills. I believe we are straddling that fence line and it will be interesting to see which way we go.

Reborn
07-25-2009, 10:25 AM
You gotta believe Sacre was on the verge of breaking out into something special before the injury. This is one guy who's going to blow some people away next year. That being said, we need a 2011 big--that should be the #1 priority. And maybe there's a 2010 surprise out there that we don't know about.

I really hope you are right. He is definitely big enough, muscular enough, but toughness, imo, is an attitude and I hope he has that. Josh never did, imo and it hurt the Zags becoming the great team that I think they could have been with some toughness. We just need that down low presence of one or two people who will defend that basket at all costs, imo like Kuso. Just go get a bigger Kuso, and someone with a little better hands on offense.

bigblahla
07-25-2009, 08:21 PM
In Sacre we trust!

I believe that in the not to distant future the baddest man on the court will be Rob Sacre and everyone will know it but more importantly he will know it.

Only injury will stop Rob, he has it all, ability, physique, heart, desire and an intense competitive fire to battle and inspire all of us and his team to battle with him.

Fierce is the word I long to use in describing our Zag team defense. This team, these young men can be fierce with Big Rob in the lead.

My word for Rob - Dominant! Maybe not yet but soon.

Just my opinion. :D

Go!! Zags!!!

BroncoZAG615
07-25-2009, 09:49 PM
In Sacre we trust!

I believe that in the not to distant future the baddest man on the court will be Rob Sacre and everyone will know it but more importantly he will know it.

Only injury will stop Rob, he has it all, ability, physique, heart, desire and an intense competitive fire to battle and inspire all of us and his team to battle with him.

Fierce is the word I long to use in describing our Zag team defense. This team, these young men can be fierce with Big Rob in the lead.

Go!! Zags!!!

Didn't realize Rob posted on these boards...

bigblahla
07-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Didn't realize Rob posted on these boards...

Ooops! caught me with my man crush in the open. :D

Rob, Andy and Sam may become the best front court we've ever seen at GU, the potential and opportunity to grow together is there. It will be a fun ride.

I have no doubts about Big Rob, none, at all. No more serious injuries is the key.

Go!! Zags!!!

Bogozags
07-26-2009, 05:17 AM
In Sacre we trust!

Go!! Zags!!!

I don't normally post on this or any other site as I'm not too savvy on the protocols and surely do not want to upset any of my fellow "ZAG Family" members...

I like everyone else would like nothing more than for Rob to be dominant. He has the size, heart and some athleticism; however, has he developed any "foot speed" since his Frosh year? Can he catch a CHICKEN in a pen?

IMHO, to be dominant he has to have developed foot speed and comfort playing with has back to the basket drop, stepping with either foot and getting his defender to take the faint and if not to take that short seven to eight foot jumper. IMHO that and his size would make him dominant as he already has the presence to be a problem defensively for other teams.

From watching him play as a Frosh that was one of his weaknesses the other was no evident left hand BUT he has had a year to grow and improve. I truly hope he has more confidence in his foot work, which will improve offensive skills in the paint and if that is the case, then with the freshmen we have coming in, we will be a tremendous surprise next season.

RenoZag
07-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Unless one of the seven explodes and wants NBA money early . . .
Or unless one or more gets seriously injured . . .
Or unless one or more grows dissatisfied with playing time and transfers . . .
Or unless one or more doesn't turn out to be as talented as we all hope and think . . .
Unless . . . unless . . . unless . . .

QFT. . .stuff happens.

DADoZAG
07-26-2009, 09:14 AM
...So in short, skip 2010 (unless a phenom is found) and go all-out for 2011.

Do not settle for "good." Strive for "great."

Your thoughts?

To get back to the original thread...

As usuall BZ, you're all over it.

There seems to be a situation at GU that every fan dreams of, the probability that all holes are filled on their beloved team.

Unless a dream player pops up, hold tight.