PDA

View Full Version : It's a Jungle Out There: Huggins to WVA?

ZagNative
04-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Gary Parrish - CBS Sportsline (http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10108684)

Huggins mulls leaving K-State for West Virginia

An impromptu rally on campus designed to raise support to help Kansas State keep Bob Huggins was canceled Wednesday night amid speculation the West Virginia graduate could be close to returning to his alma mater after one season with the Wildcats.

A source close to the situation told CBS SportsLine.com over the weekend that if John Beilein left for Michigan, then Huggins would be West Virginia's top target. Now, according to another source, Huggins is seriously considering the opportunity, but he's struggling with whether to pursue his desire of returning to the Big East at the expense of walking away from a Kansas State roster full of elite-level talents who would've never considered attending KSU if not for Huggins luring them to a remote part of the country far away from their homes.

Most notably, that list includes Bill Walker and Michael Beasley. Both could've gone anywhere in the nation, but each picked Kansas State -- hardly a traditional basketball power, at least in recent years -- based solely on Huggins or hires Huggins made upon accepting the KSU job a little more than a year ago.

Wow. Wouldn't that frost your sox?

Bocco
04-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Huggie one year and gone????? Must be reading Dennis Erikson's new book "It's All About Me."

Rubbadub
04-04-2007, 08:24 PM
you think if huggins leaves, beasley will look to transfer to a nice little pacific northwest school that's good at developing talent? ;)

NJZag
04-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Huggins had a shot at that same job years ago, and stayed put at Cincy. WV was more of a Big East cellar dweller at the time. Beilein deserves a lot of credit for making them so competitive with Pitsnogle etc. after coming in from his former post at URichmond. My guess is that Beasley will try to follow the coach who recruited him to KSU in the first place. An opening next year at WVU is probably what Huggins hoped for -- Walker and Beasley would have given KSU a good run, then gone pro in '08. KSU would have made a little noise.

Timing is everything. ;)

dawgman1999
04-05-2007, 08:23 AM
you think if huggins leaves, beasley will look to transfer to a nice little pacific northwest school that's good at developing talent? ;)

Michael Beasley has no association with you guys. The only west coast school he remotely looked at was USC. His other choices were Charlotte, Georgetown, UConn, Louisville, and Syracuse. You can see that it's all Big East schools. If he doesn't go to K State, he will stay in the Big East.

Nevtelen
04-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Deep breaths, 1999. It was a joke. We've gotten a few transfers lately, in case you missed that. A joke. Take another deep breath and back away slowly from the keyboard... ;)

a13coach
04-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Deep breaths, 1999. It was a joke. We've gotten a few transfers lately, in case you missed that. A joke. Take another deep breath and back away slowly from the keyboard... ;)

Hey NET you wouldn't happen to enjoy a sport known as "bug throwing?" :)

229SintoZag
04-05-2007, 11:34 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6648384?MSNHPHMA

From the Dennis Erickson school of loyalty to players and school....

wazZag
04-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Wow, all that talent and no coach?

john montana
04-05-2007, 11:55 AM
sleazy...not that i'm surprised by this from huggins.

4EVERaZAG
04-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Too bad for K-State, Beasley and Walker.

Nevtelen
04-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow, and after the huge reception they gave him, all the new fan interest, etc... Pretty cutthroat move. I doubt Beasly ends up at K st (I'm sure they'll let him out of his letter), but I wonder what Walker will do.

beatProgram
04-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Huggins is a complete ######, D-O-O-S-H.

You can gather that he's a completely self-absorbed jackass in little more than a passing exchange of words with the guy.

This should come as no surprise to anybody... least of all K-State

omahazag
04-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Huggins is a jerk...Just like u said Sinto, this is a Dennis Erickson move. I almost don't feel sorry for those schools who hire coaches with suspect character issues...they have to know what they are getting themselves into with these kind of guys... good luck K-state with your b-ball program, you're done getting the Michael Beasley's of the world.

ZagManFan
04-05-2007, 12:39 PM
you're done getting the Michael Beasley's of the world.

and your done getting Michael Beasley period.

bayzag09
04-05-2007, 12:54 PM
This move suprises me, just as it does everyone else on here. BUT, I want to try to understand his logic. How many of us would leave a coaching job at a school that has little significance to us to go coach our alma mater? I know I would. Also, and this is a reach, but maybe beasley is following him to WV. It is a thought.

Anyways, does anyone have the K-State board url? I would love to read some of what they are thinking

tobizag
04-05-2007, 12:57 PM
What do you think Walker will do, transfer? To where? What is the likelihood the he and Beasley both go to WVU?

Anyone have thoughts?

23dpg
04-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Here is an article I ran across earlier. A real winner:vomit-smiley-007:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/11/AR2007031101466.html

Since he entered the eighth grade, Beasley's career has followed the same cyclical pattern: He's dismissed from one school for misbehavior and immaturity; then he's wooed to another school for the smooth left-handed jumper and forceful first step that make him a projected lottery pick in a future NBA draft.

TuckC
04-05-2007, 02:09 PM
What a jerk. Reports say that he convinced two Cincinnati recruits to go down to Manhattan with him.
Huggins=Erickson

Just_An_Old_Zag
04-05-2007, 06:25 PM
For every Coach Few and Billy Donovan & Coach K, how many more Bob Huggin's, Dennis Erickson's, and Nick Saban's are out there?

A lot of these men who are suppose to be teaching young men to develop into the leaders of tomorrow are no more then snake oil salesmen. Looking out only for their own self aggrandizement.

I hope that any of you reading this who have children gifted enough to be offered athletic scholarships, look beyond the the talk and look into the character, or lack there of, of some of these so called winning coaches.

OK...i will step down off my soap box now...my apologies...Huggins and Erickson just disgust me to no end.

NJZag
04-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Whoa ... can we say UPSET UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT, or what?

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=213&SPSID=3084&DB_OEM_ID=400&ATCLID=849759

brasszag
04-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Totally in agreement with you! Self-absorbed jackass is a perfect description! Now we'll be hearing about this in the local KS paper for the next year or more. Guess contracts, obligations, committment mean nothing to Huggins.

Slimeball or not - I can understand wanting to coach your Alma Mater if they come calling...

TrueLiz
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Sure, I'd want to coach at my Alma Mater (although even my elementary school wouldn't come calling), but it appears that Huggy only wants to coach at his Alma Mater if they are already doing well, since it's been well documented (including in this thread) that he had the opportunity to do it before, but wasn't interested in going "home" when they weren't a good team.

I'm also confused why West Virginia would do this. John Beilein is a classy individual, and has integrity. The same cannot be said for Huggins. Did they not think they could find another good coach in a search?

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm put in the odd position of defending Huggins whom I have as little respect for as I do Bob Knight.

Huggins is an alum of WVU and has made no secret that his dream job is, was and will always be in Morgantown. The job was offered him, he jumped at the opportunity.

Let's make this situation closer to home. Say a coach was a native of Spokane, an alum of GU and had stated publicly that Gonzaga was his dream job. Said coach made somewhat of a name for himself as a coach, was hired by a school in a BcS conference and got some "high proflie" kids to join him at the aforementioned school. He has every intention of fulfilling his obligation at the school but unexpectedly coach Few is wooed away to Oregon. Suddenly the Gonzaga job opens up and is offered to him. Just a different perspective.

sittingon50
04-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I'll join the minority. A chance to coach at your Alma Mater is a biggie. That he passed before on the WV job is of no consequence, IMO. We don't know everything that was in play @ that time.

TrueLiz
04-05-2007, 09:24 PM
I would add then that he should've had that in his contract. I recall way back as a Gopher football fan, when Lou Holtz took the head coach spot, and said he would not look to go elsewhere unless Notre Dame came calling. Anyone unfamiliar with the first half of this story already knows what happened. As a kid (I think I was in junior high) it was disappointing to see him go, but everyone from the school, to the players, to the fans, knew up front it could happen, and it didn't leave everyone involved with a sour taste.

sittingon50
04-05-2007, 10:37 PM
I'll join the minority. A chance to coach at your Alma Mater is a biggie. That he passed before on the WV job is of no consequence, IMO. We don't know everything that was in play @ that time.

Not only is it his Alma Mater but he was born in Morgantown. JMO, but pretty hard to begrudge him the job, isn't it?