PDA

View Full Version : Slam Online on GU's Incoming Class

Angelo Roncalli
07-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Gonzaga Bulldogs

Another year and it’s another strong recruiting class for Mark Few as he welcomes four newcomers to the Gonzaga roster for the upcoming season. There will be plenty of size joining the team, starting with 6-9 center Sam Dower out of Osseo, Minnesota. An excellent athlete with a good wingspan, Dower is a strong defensive presence and hits the glass hard at both ends of the floor. His offensive game is still a work in progress, but he has a nice jump hook right now and shows signs of developing a consistent foul line jumper. Kelly Olynyk has the potential to be a special player as a 6-10 small forward with a very strong skill set, who can score from anywhere on the floor. The native of Canada has a very soft touch around the rim with both hands, range well beyond the three-point line and handles that will allow him to operate comfortably on the perimeter. It may be a reach to call him the next Austin Daye, but he is a player in that same mold and has the numbers to back up these claims, posting averages of 35 points and 12 rebounds as a senior. Point guard G.J. Vilarino originally committed to Kentucky, before asking out of his letter of intent and signing with the ‘Zags. At 6-0 and 160 pounds, the Texas product is tiny but plays very aggressively. He is super quick, shows excellent passing skills and has the ability to take defenders to the rim on a regular basis when the opportunity presents itself. Lastly there is 6-6 shooting guard Mangisto Arop, a stellar athlete out of Ontario. Like so many players who have outstanding physical make ups early on, Arop is a big time performer defensively thanks to his length, quickness and hustle, but is still very raw offensively. He has a tremendous first step, elevates well in traffic, but still needs to fine tune his ability to finish. All in all, Gonzaga has restocked with plenty of talent to keep them competitive next season.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/college/2009/07/mid-major-recruiting-breakdown/

CDC84
07-23-2009, 02:56 PM
A forewarning....I wouldn't be shocked if not a single preseason publication makes mention of Bol Kong or Elias Harris. The publishers of these magazines have to start putting them together months before the start of the season. By the time any pressers come out from Gonzaga regarding what could be their best 2 incoming recruits, it'll be too late to include them in the magazines and preseason prognostications. Such is life.

ZagNative
07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
There will be plenty of size joining the team, starting with 6-9 center Sam Dower out of Osseo, Minnesota. An excellent athlete with a good wingspan, Dower is a strong defensive presence and hits the glass hard at both ends of the floor. His offensive game is still a work in progress, but he has a nice jump hook right now and shows signs of developing a consistent foul line jumper.
According to the Osseo HS website (http://www.osseobasketball.com/player_stats.php?rosid=137&sid=4), Sam averaged 23.91 ppg, 10.84 rebounds, 1.97 assists, 2.97 blocks, and 0.94 steals. If 23.91 ppg is "still a work in progress," it has to make you wonder what it will take for the prognosticators to quit hanging hanging that work-in-progress tag on Sam's offensive game as a high school player coming into D-1..

BobZag
07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
A forewarning....I wouldn't be shocked if not a single preseason publication makes mention of Bol Kong or Elias Harris. The publishers of these magazines have to start putting them together months before the start of the season. By the time any pressers come out from Gonzaga regarding what could be their best 2 incoming recruits, it'll be too late to include them in the magazines and preseason prognostications. Such is life.

Shhhhh. Let's keep them hidden.

MDABE80
07-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't know much about HS ball in Minnesota but what I saw last month at one of the GU camps was pretty beyond what I'd think a HS player should be. Sam's not a bruiser just yet but he's got some nice nice moves. His technique is great. And he's got big shoulders in progress. Good hops and he's got very soft hands and a great light touch......moreso than most HS bigs. I guess what I'm saying is that I can see Sam easily putting up 24-10 games in HS.
Last Spring I wondered if he had been in a tough league and that was answered in the affirmative. Nice that but even more impressive was that he didn't lose production in the playoffs as the teams got tougher. He just kept going. I think we'll like him a lot. He'll get better with time as he's not finished in growth or development.

azzagfan
07-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Sam is a real talent. He showed very well in the State Championship playing a team that featured 5 D-1 players in their starting lineup (including a top-15 guy in Royce White who's going to Minnesota). The opposing big guy is going to Notre Dame, and Sam was double-teamed most of the game and still had a big impact on the game.

One of the larger radio personalities here in the Twin Cites, Dan Barreiro, said afterwards that he had a "man crush" on Sam Dower after watching the game.

ZagNative
07-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Hopkins, the team Sam played against in the state campionships, was #10 on the USA Today's list of top HS teams in the country and #12 ESPN Rise's top 50.

CDC84
07-24-2009, 08:58 AM
GU assistant Leon Rice in a recent Slipper Still Fits interview:

They are just terrific and hard working kids. GJ is a high-level athlete and an excellent decision maker. Sam (Dower) is a big guy with a ton of potential and his ball just goes in the basket. They both have huge upside, and with them being here this summer, they get a chance to know the campus and figure out their way around, and know what to do once fall rolls around. It gets them off with a great start.

That tells me all I need to know about Sam's offensive talent level.

BobZag
07-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Zag fans DID NOT write that Slam piece! Repeat: Zag fans DID NOT write that Slam piece!