PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide Wes

BobZag
07-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Who is this guy, some Mafia Don? This, by Doug Gottleib--

Shortly after lighting it up at the LeBron James Skills Academy, Josh Selby -- ranked by some services as the second-best point guard in the Class of 2010 -- decommitted from Tennessee while Bruce Pearl was in Israel coaching the U.S. basketball team at the Maccabiah Games.

Popular speculation is that Kentucky and Oregon will be on Selby's list of finalists now. As many observers around college basketball circles have pointed out this week, Tennessee is an adidas school, while UK and Oregon are with Nike, which sponsored the LeBron James Skills Academy.

Selby's mom has publicly acknowledged that while at the camp, she had a discussion with William Wesley, aka Worldwide Wes. As everyone knows, Wesley is tight with Kentucky head coach John Calipari and Oregon assistant Kenny Payne, as well as Nike -- and therein lies the rub for some.

Josh Selby might've been a perfect fit for Tennessee's full-court, up-tempo style. But he recently pulled out of his verbal commitment.

Tennessee assistant Tony Jones didn't skirt the issue when recently asked by the Knoxville News Sentinel about the decommitment: "I'm not going to comment on any specific player, because I am not allowed to do that," he told the paper. "I'll just say something smells right now."

ZagNative
07-21-2009, 05:09 PM
William Wesley 2007 story in GQ (http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_5735).
In his March 2005 ESPN “Page 2” column, the well-known basketball writer Scoop Jackson wrote, “I believe Phil Knight is the most powerful man in sports next to Wes Wesley.” Eight months after Jackson’s column, New Jersey-based basketball journalist Henry Abbott mounted an obsessive open-source investigation on his blog, TrueHoop, that brilliantly illustrated how, if you look closely at the various forces at work in basketball at every level of the sport—the AAU programs that funnel players to college programs, the agents looking to land players as early as NBA rules allow, the shoe companies, coaches, franchise owners, front-office executives, players—it eventually dawns on you that they have one thing in common: William Wesley.

BobZag
07-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Vito Corleone's brother?

ZagNative
07-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, I'm sure if there's anything fishy going on, the NCAA will get right on it.... Well, as soon as they solve the pesky problem of college kids playing too many minutes of basketball in the summer season under their coach's supervision.

MickMick
07-21-2009, 07:19 PM
How does he make a living?

Some speculate that he delivers top prospects to schools sponsored by Nike. A more accurate analysis might be that he delivers "one and done" players to Calipari. He knows the system. He knows that there are great players with no interest in higher education and great interest in playing in the NBA.

He feeds on dreams. Worse yet, he has a proven track record of delivering. Hence his niche self perpetuates.

Don't blame Wes. Blame the system. Take Wes away and there is another guy waiting to fill his spot as long as the niche exists.

CaliforniaZaggin'
07-21-2009, 07:48 PM
With this kinda rep, Wes oughta move to Jersey and own a nightclub called "Bada Bing's."

cbbfanatic
07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
With this kinda rep, Wes oughta move to Jersey and own a nightclub called "Bada Bing's."

i think he is actually from jersey. south jersey, camden.

and get this, he's a very close family friend with the top 2011 prospect, a kid some scouts have called the best HS player since lebron (not saying he's THAT good, but that he's potentially better than every kid since then). wonder where that kid will go...

kitzbuel
07-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Well, I'm sure if there's anything fishy going on, the NCAA will get right on it.... Well, as soon as they solve the pesky problem of college kids playing too many minutes of basketball in the summer season under their coach's supervision.

Yeah. They would much rather have the kids playing AAU ball for the Pump brothers instead of their coaches.

roxdoc
07-22-2009, 07:26 AM
If he is from Camden - that explains everything!