PDA

View Full Version : New President

DixieZag
07-15-2009, 01:57 PM
I am an alum stuck on the Gulf Coast and do not get a lot of general GU news, but am kept well informed of basketball issues by this board. So I was wondering if any of you closer to the situation have a feel on whether or not the Univ. President transition will impact the athletic department at all or the basketball team specifically?

Fr. Spitzer does not get the credit he deserves for the continued success of the program, Coach Few always says that the reason he stays is the support he gets from the school and the community. It is not impossible to think of a scenario where an incoming President could view the Basketball team as becoming such a priority that it impacts the school mission negatively. Though, of course, I would make a strong counter-argument to that.

Generally change is good, but Fr. Spitzer was really good, are we gonna be alright?

Angelo Roncalli
07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I expect that as interim president, Thayne McColloh will continue with Spitzer's vision. Here's what he had to say today:

http://www.gonzaga.edu/News-and-Events/newsdetail.asp?EventID=4722&

In terms of a new president, I believe the board of trustees will look for a permanent president who will pick up where Fr. Spitzer left off.

kitzbuel
07-15-2009, 02:25 PM
There was discussion on this topic earlier that might be of interest: http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=433926#post433926

75Zag
07-15-2009, 02:25 PM
The announcement today was for an "Interim President". I raised a concern in an earlier thread as it did not appear he has particular skills related to administering a top 25 BB program, but on reflection it seems unlikely he will have a lot of influence over the athletic department unless he stays in office for a lot longer than expected. I understand they are looking for a Jesuit for a "permanent" President. The permanent guy will have the potential to have a significant impact on GU athletics and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Notwithstanding the fact that he roomed with my insane brother-in-law while a student at GU, Fr. Spitzer is a good guy and has had a very positive effect on all things Gonzaga. I predict we will miss his guiding hand and positive outlook. I just hope they can locate another Jesuit with appropriate leadership and administrative skills and an appropriate respect for the benefits that GU Basketball has brought to the little school in Spokane. Like most GU alums, I have found through experience that you can find all sorts of Jesuits out there, some good, some bad, some helpful, some completely nuts. But most are pretty decent fellows and I am looking for good things to come.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!