PDA

View Full Version : Andy Katz's latest blog entry

Angelo Roncalli
07-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Austin Daye is long gone, attempting to make an impact with the Detroit Pistons after two seasons with Gonzaga. But there's no reason to cry for the Zags. Two of their newcomers played well for Team Canada at the U-19. Mangisto Arop, a shooting guard, led the Canadians with 16.2 points a game, while small forward Kelly Olynyk averaged 11.2 points a game. Gonzaga assistant coach Tommy Lloyd said he was concerned about decision-making (i.e. turnovers), but was overall pleased with the production. Lloyd said he expects both players to be in the rotation next season. The one newcomer who may create the most buzz, according to Lloyd, is Elias Harris. The 6-7 German national is expected to be declared eligible through the NCAA's eligibility center and have a major impact on the Zags. Gonzaga returns the backcourt of Matt Bouldin, Steven Gray and Demetri Goodson, as well as big man Robert Sacre.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4326950&name=katz_andy

75Zag
07-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Hmmm

Why no reference to Bol Kong, whose arm strength will part opposing defenders like Moses parted the Red Sea?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BobZag
07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
The staff won't comment on Kong until he is at GU. Period. It's a very unique situation.

I agree with Tommy re: Elias. Bouldin said he'll be a handful for other teams.

GoZags
07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Hmmm

Why no reference to Bol Kong, whose arm strength will part opposing defenders like Moses parted the Red Sea?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Oh my goodness. Katz didn't mention Sam, Andy or Grant (in addition to not mentioning Bol). I hope those guys will still be on the team.

75Zag
07-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Is the question of NCCA eligibility for Elias Harris a done deal? Until I saw this article I did not know GU was waiting for a declaration of eligiblity from the NCAA. Any projected date for that? I assume this is just a formality?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

lothar98zag
07-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Is the question of NCCA eligibility for Elias Harris a done deal? Until I saw this article I did not know GU was waiting for a declaration of eligiblity from the NCAA. Any projected date for that? I assume this is just a formality?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!
since the GU coaches are talking to reporters about EH, I would hope it's a formality at this point...

Baldwinzag
07-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh my goodness. Katz didn't mention Sam, Andy or Grant (in addition to not mentioning Bol). I hope those guys will still be on the team.

Don't forget about David Stockton. Something must be up if Andy didn't even mention our newest walk-on...hmmm, I don't like it. :confused:

ZagNative
07-14-2009, 04:34 PM
And Tommy, where the heck is a mention of GJ Vilarino?

Rein up, ZN! The column was about the kids' performance at international tournaments!

TheBunnieRancher
07-14-2009, 04:56 PM
The BLOG seems pretty much focused on kids that played in overseas tourneys this summer. Maybe that's why he only focused on part of recruiting classes for different schools like WSU and GU.

MDABE80
07-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Harris is the toughest one. Sam's developing shoulds like Michael Cage had. No worries fellas. GU will open eyes this upcoming year. If I had to guess, it'll be later in the year before the kids gel. But gel they will and do a great job.

Kong, Arop and KO will learn the sytem and contribute right away. Not sure I remember such athleticism on the wings since Errol. I do think KO's game is a lot like Austin's was. He doesn't have the name but he sure has the talent.

I remember someone posting months ago that we'd be in trouble in the frontcourt. I kind of agreed back then but now I'm sure we'll be tough (inexperienced for a bit) but tough as nails down low. I'm glad I paid the money to watch the Canadian kids in New Zealand. Both will be great players for GU.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-15-2009, 06:36 AM
I remember someone posting months ago that we'd be in trouble in the frontcourt. I kind of agreed back then but now I'm sure we'll be tough (inexperienced for a bit) but tough as nails down low. I'm glad I paid the money to watch the Canadian kids in New Zealand. Both will be great players for GU.[/QUOTE]

Am I the only fan on this board who has no real concerns about these new bigs? By the time they have a year to develop, I think they are going to be an upgrade over our last season's graduation/NBA losses.

This new front court could look an awful lot like the 2002-2003 team. Those guys returned only one frontcourt player with real Div I minutes (Zack Gourde), but they were one of the best rebounding teams in the country. This team could be like them with a highly athletic international newcomer (Turiaf-Kong/Olynik), a Sophomore bruiser with great rebounding ability and a knack for getting to the foul line (Violette-Harris), and a bigger, stronger wide-body veteran that sets strong picks, rebounds, and posts up well (Gourde-Sacre).

The Turiaf, Violette, Gourde frontcourt was a key reason that Gonzaga had about a +10 rebounds/game margin over the two years that those players were together.

This new frontcourt will be more than capable of playing with the big boys. They won't be expected to carry this team, because the true veterans are in the backcourt. (Remember Stepp and Dickau). If the big guys rebound, play defense, set picks, draw fouls, and score a few garbage baskets, that will be more than enough on a team that has such an outstanding backcourt.

I can't wait to see them on the floor. It will be nice to see Gonzaga post-players knocking guys down to get rebounds and loose balls, something that we didn't see unless Ira Brown was on the floor, last year. They may not score as many points or block as many shots, but they won't need to if they play with some competitive fire. They are already big enough and athletic enough to contribute. The skill sets will develop with experience.

BobZag
07-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Am I the only fan on this board who has no real concerns about these new bigs? By the time they have a year to develop, I think they are going to be an upgrade over our last season's graduation/NBA losses. \

No, you're not the only one. :)

Zag79
07-16-2009, 02:12 AM
Don't forget about David Stockton. Something must be up if Andy didn't even mention our newest walk-on...hmmm, I don't like it. :confused:

:lmao:

Am I the only fan on this board who has no real concerns about these new bigs? By the time they have a year to develop, I think they are going to be an upgrade over our last season's graduation/NBA losses.

if the new bigs are as good as josh and austin were i will be in zag heaven. i have a hard time believing that just because we lost someone, the new guy coming in will be as good or better. i sure hope so!