PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Prospect Idaho's Kyle Dranginis

ZagNative
07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
2011 prospect, Kyle Dranginis.

According to the Idaho Statesman, Kyle was the best player in the state of Idaho in 2008-09, as a sophomore!

Idaho Statesman (http://www.idahostatesman.com/416/story/712691.html)
Published: 03/29/09

2009 All-Idaho Basketball

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Dranginis/KyleDranginisIdahoStatesmanPlayerof.jpg

FIRST TEAM

Player of the year: Kyle Dranginis, Skyview Hawks

Why he is Player of the Year: The 6-foot-4 sophomore guard's drive to the hoop with 28 seconds left in overtime proved to be the winning points in Skyview's 59-58 overtime victory against Pocatello in the state championship game. The sophomore finished the season shooting 54.7 percent from the field, while averaging 10.9 points, 5.4 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 1.6 blocked shots per game.

Coach's comment: "Kyle possesses an unbelievable sense for the game. He makes plays when they need to be made," Mountain Home coach Tony Kerfoot said.

What others are saying: "Kyle is honestly the most mature player I know for his age. Sometimes off the court I may not think that, but on the court he's the leader. I love playing with the kid," Skyview senior guard Abraham Burns said.

What's next: Dranginis will begin his junior year with the Hawks in search of a second consecutive state title. Skyview will return six players next season, including three starters.

MaxPreps (http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/uWDeRcdsNEeP345NKNXO3A/skyview-hawks/basketball/home.htm): Kyle's Skyview Hawks team was 26-0 last season.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Dranginis/KyleDranginiscelebrateswinoverPocat.jpg
"Skyview celebrates their overtime win for the 4A Boys State Championship against Pocatello." Kyle is #3, on the left.

ZagNative
08-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Checking ESPN Recruit Tracker (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?page=evaluation&recruitId=101459) this morning, I found a new entry in the "Considering" list for 2011. They have the name misspelled, but it's Kyle Dranginis, out of Nampa's Skyview HS, who plays for Boise FLITE.
Kyle Drainginis | PG
Hometown Nampa, ID
High School Skyview High School
Height 6'4"
Weight 165 lbs.He has a Scout, Inc. grade of 40 so far, meaning Scout, Inc. hasn't seen him play yet.

This thread needs another pic of #3!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Dranginis/KyleDranginisberecruitedsitesmaller.jpg

He made some noise on the Boise FLITE team at the tourneys this summer, attracting this from Frank Burlison (http://www.insidesocal.com/frankburlison/2009/07/a-wrap-on-thursday-prep-hoops.html) (who also misspells his name! Maybe ESPN picked up the error from Frank):

A wrap on Thursday prep hoops in Las Vegas

Here are the 15 players who most impressed me on Thursday during stops at Foothill High in Henderson and UNLV (listed alphabetically/there are some repeats from Wednesday:

*Maverick Ahanmisi (6-2/Valencia, Calif., Golden Valley/Branch West/unsigned Class of 2009)
*Gary Bell Jr. (6-2/Kent, Wash., Kentridge/Seattle Rotary Select/Class of 2011)
*Wayne Blackshear (6-4/Chicago Morgan Park/Mac Irvin Fire/Class of 2010)
*Brenden Dawson (6-4/Gary, Ind., Lew Wallace/SYF Players/Class of 2011)
*Kyle Drainginis (6-4/Nampa, Idaho, Sky View/Boise Flite/Class of 2011)
*Tim Hardaway Jr. (6-4/Miami Palmetto/Mac Irvin Fire/Class of 2010)
*Terrence Jones (6-8/Portland Jefferson/I-5/Class of 2010)
*Meyers Leonard (7-0/Robinson, Ill./Mac Irvin Fire/Class of 2010)
*Darius Nelson (6-4/Sacramento Sheldon/Team Odom/Class of 2011)
*Jordan Omogbehin (7-2/Hanover, Md., National Christian/Team Takeover/Class of 2011)
*Norvel Pelle (6-9/Compton Dominguez/Team Odom/Class of 2011)
*Jereme Richmond (6-7/Waukegan, Ill./Mac Irvin Fire/Class of 2010)
*Michael Shaw (6-8/Chicago De La Salle/Mac Irvin Fire/Class of 2010)
*Joshua Smith (6-9/Kent, Wash., Kentwood/Seattle Rotary Select/Class of 2010)
*Tony Wroten (6-4/Seattle Garfield/Seattle Rotary Select/Class of 2011)
Boise FLITE played both at the Reebok Summer Championship and at the Main Event. Kyle's profile from the Reebok event is here (http://proroster.com/events/5/people/7431).

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Dranginis/2009-07-23KyleDraginisboxscoreReebo.jpg

Shades of Derek Raivio on the free-throw shooting!

BobZag
08-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I wish they tracked assists in those tournaments.

Kyle and Gary Bell, Jr. (also listed by Burlison) would be a very nice backcourt of the future. There is actual footage on a 2News site of Kyle's state championship play. I liked what I saw. He attended GU's elite camp, too.

El Voce
08-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Nampa, ID, is known for turning out top notch athletes, and top notch people!:D

Unlike the desert areas to the east.:D

ZagNative
08-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I don't think I'd read before that Dranginis attended the elite camp.

Neither Rivals nor Scout has anything up on him yet. Idaho has to be the place where high school basketball players go do die in recruiting land, along with the occasional odd elephant who can't jump. ESPN has no 2010 prospects listed from Idaho, and only one each for 2011 (Dranginis) and 2012. Scout has no one listed in Idaho from 2010 onward.

Dranginis' school list in ESPN is the Zags and Boise State.

BobZag
08-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Nampa, ID, is known for turning out top notch athletes, and top notch people!:D

Unlike the desert areas to the east.:D

:p I just knew you'd chime in.

thespywhozaggedme
08-19-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't think I'd read before that Dranginis attended the elite camp.

Neither Rivals nor Scout has anything up on him yet. Idaho has to be the place where high school basketball players go do die in recruiting land, along with the occasional odd elephant who can't jump. ESPN has no 2010 prospects listed from Idaho, and only one each for 2011 (Dranginis) and 2012. Scout has no one listed in Idaho from 2010 onward.

Dranginis' school list in ESPN is the Zags and Boise State.

Boise brought us Corey Violette.

ZagNative
08-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Boise brought us Corey Violette.Yeah, I know. Looking for past Zags from the Nampa area, I had Cory in mind and found a great 2001 story about him on the old Zag Scout board (http://gonzaga.scout.com/2/15283.html). But Cory in 2001 and El Voce (God knows when) hardly constitute a marauding army of hoops greatness.

BobZag
08-20-2009, 08:42 AM
I really do like Dranginis. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if he became a Zag. He's one of the best shooters around, too, but he loves to dish first.

spudzag
08-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Adding Dranginis would save him from Boise State (BJC) which would be a real kindness on our part.

chieftain
08-20-2009, 08:17 PM
I agree. If he can go somewhere other than Boise State, he will thank himself later.

BobZag
08-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Look for the three 4A State games: Skyview v Blackfoot, Skyview v Jerome, Skyview v Pocatello. Kyle is #3 in the dark unis.

http://www.idahosportsnetwork.com/highschool/0809/basketball.asp

Very good pics.

zagco
08-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Skyview High in Nampa has established itself as a basktball school. They've had some very, very good teams. Matt Ballenger was a high prospect, but chose to play quarterback at Colorado. He quit, and instead of sitting out at a D-1 school for hoops, he has returned to play basketball at College of Idaho.

Zagco did not see this young man play last year, but he will make a point to see him play this year to check out his skills. Idaho is not a hotbed for great talent, but it does get some very good ones now and then. Cory Violette is the most pertinent example. There was a boy last year from Vallivue (Caldwell area) that is now at an SEC school playing hoops. So, one or two major prospects a year is about all you get. We just don't have the level of competition, even in summer leagues, to really challenge or improve the better players, so many of them do get lost in the abyss.

Average Joe
08-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Will Bogan is the Vallivue player that is at Ole Miss in the SEC. He just finished his freshmen year and is a point guard and ending up starting because the other guard got hurt. Matt Baucher, also from Vallivue, played one year at Spokane Community then played 3 years at Boise State. He is now on a pro team in Holland. Another Idaho kid is Brady Jardine from Twin Falls. He just finished his freshman year at Utah State. He is a 6'7" small forward and USU went 30-5 last year. Ricky Bower play at Wisconsin under coach Bennett and was a Skyview grad and Trent Whiteing from Kuna High played at BYU. Another Bishop Kelly athlete which is where Violett is from Abe Jackson played four years at Boise State and was quite good as was Booker Nabors from Boarh High School. No there aren't many schools is Idaho and no one goes there to find players much but for a state having only a litte over 1 million people they do ok. Who thought John Stockton would become a Hall of Famer. Never say never.

WestsideZag2424
08-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Seems like he has good potential and could be a very nice addition to the class. First priority for us should be focusing on Kyle Witljer and Gary Bell Jr. of course, but if we miss on one of them or pass on taking anyone from 2010 then i'd love to have him as a Zag.

BobZag
08-23-2009, 08:46 AM
I think the staff would take Dranginis with Bell, Jr. and Wiltjer. But a big would be a must for 2010, and at least one big in 2012 would be a must. I can see Gary and Kyle being like Dickau and Stepp or Hall and Santangelo. Both are excellent at PG and at SG. The scholie stuff always works out.

Reborn
08-23-2009, 09:20 AM
No there aren't many schools is Idaho and no one goes there to find players much but for a state having only a litte over 1 million people they do ok. Who thought John Stockton would become a Hall of Famer. Never say never.

Welcome to GUBoards, Average Joe. One heck of a first post. And thanks. I appreciate your passion for Idaho. I have the same kind of stuff for Washington State athletes. And then Pacific Northwest hoops. Having someone like Dranginis would really be something special, imo, and I will enjoy following him for the next couple of years. As has been noted, GU has a history of athletes from Idaho, and hopefully Dranginis will be the next one. I think the '11 class could be awesome with a kid from Washington (Bell), one from Oregon (Wiltjer) and one from Idaho.

Mallonoma
08-23-2009, 03:42 PM
As his coach says (http://www.idahopress.com/sections/treasurevalleysports/page.php?2009-04-11-All-Area-Team-Boys-Basketball), Kyle is clutch. As a sophomore, he was the best all-around player in the state I saw watching a lot of 4A and 5A basketball. Kyle probably isn't as quick as Will Bogan was his senior year, but he manages to score off the dribble very easily and is a deadly outside shooter. Easily could have averaged 20 points, but Skyview was very deep and Kyle seems just as happy with the assist as he is with the points. Skyview does lose some key players and has a new head coach, so I imagine he will be called on to score a little more this winter. His long arms caused opposing teams all kinds of problems trying to get into their offense. He gets all kinds of deflections.

He also comes from an athletic family -- both sisters will play volleyball at Northwest Nazarene this year (one is a standout, the other is just joining the team) and his older brother played hoops at Blue Mountain Community College in Pendleton.

Average Joe
08-23-2009, 04:20 PM
I am from LA but follow Idaho sports because we have relatives their. Good athletes come from everywhere no just washington and oregon or california. idaho is so small no one looks there but to say someone isn't good because he lives in a smaller state is kind of crazy. If we counted how many Division one standouts each state has and divided it by their populations Idaho would be right in the middle of the pack. I think Oklahoma under estimated Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. That is what makes sports so neat.

ZagNative
08-23-2009, 05:34 PM
I didn't mean to imply there are no good athletes in Idaho, only that recruiting sites like Scout, Rivals, and ESPN don't cover them. (Of course, I couldn't resist the urge to needle our own El Voce a bit by impugning his Idaho pedigree.)

Even the absence of coverage by those sites shouldn't make a difference, because schools like Gonzaga have their own pipelines. However, some people here, even knowing Gonzaga's history of finding "hidden" gems, periodically set up a hue and cry demanding to know "Why aren't we recruiting more four and five-stars!!!" Well, if the scouting services never even evaluate a single kid in an entire state, how will they get one star, much less five?

Darned if I know who tipped ESPN Recruit Tracker off to Kyle, but find me another 2010 Idaho basketball prospect in any of the three major recruiting sites. Nada. Rivals and Scout don't mention Kyle, much less profile him.

Maybe coaches and players' family just aren't proactive enough in getting the word out about their kids. Scout has a form that can be used to submit a player (http://scouthoops.scout.com/playerform/) to add to Scout's evaluation list. As the #1 player in the State of Idaho, Kyle sure seems like a candidate for that list.

Average Joe
08-23-2009, 06:45 PM
I have done some E-mailing and it sounds like Dranginis is being recruited quite a bit for finishing up his soph season in HS. So far he has been offered schoarships from Boise State, Utah State, and Utah. He is being recruited pretty heavely by Washington State, University of Portland, St Marys, University of San Diego, University of Denver, Portland State and the Zags. SHe also was at the Elite and team camp in June. Someone thinks he not to bad and he has two more years of high school.

rusty
08-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Boise brought us Corey Violette.

and geoff goss.....

ZagNative
09-05-2009, 10:33 AM
I happened across Kyle's eval page on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=101459&season=2011) this morning and was surprised to see a 95 Scout, Inc., grade on him and this evaluation, which was dated from July but wasn't there the last time I looked in August, when they still had him at 40 for his Scout, Inc., grade:

Evaluation

July, 2009: One of the revelations on the national travel-ball circuit this summer, Drainginis has all of the skills needed to be recruited by elite-level college programs. He can explode by defenders off the dribble with either hand and with equal aplomb. He has a high-octane release on his jump shot with range at and beyond the 3-point arc. His vision and willingness to give the ball up without over-handling it gives credence to the thought that point guard will be his ultimate college position. His biggest shortcoming right now is strength.

BobZag
09-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I've been sold on this kid for awhile. I'd like to see Gary Bell, Jr. and Dranginis come to Zagville in 2011.

Average Joe
09-05-2009, 06:58 PM
After reading the short report on Dranginis by scouts that is very accurate. He has deep range and is very smart. He does need to put on weight. I have seen him play since 7th grade. He was only about 5'9 as a 8th grader. He grew quite a bit that summer and was 6'1" 135 pound freshman point guard on the varsity. His soph season he was 6'4" and 165. Beginning his junior year this month he is 6'4" and 180. He still has two more years of high school and all of his brothers and sisters are well built and all played college ball. He is the one who grew the most in the shortest period of time and therefor the thinest of the family but is catching up. The report is a on the ball evaluation.

SpudDawg
09-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Santa Clara's Scott Thompson is from Mountain View High in Meridian, ID:

http://www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/thompson_scott00.html

BobZag
09-06-2009, 08:38 AM
After reading the short report on Dranginis by scouts that is very accurate. He has deep range and is very smart. He does need to put on weight. I have seen him play since 7th grade. He was only about 5'9 as a 8th grader. He grew quite a bit that summer and was 6'1" 135 pound freshman point guard on the varsity. His soph season he was 6'4" and 165. Beginning his junior year this month he is 6'4" and 180. He still has two more years of high school and all of his brothers and sisters are well built and all played college ball. He is the one who grew the most in the shortest period of time and therefor the thinest of the family but is catching up. The report is a on the ball evaluation.

We expect good in-depth game aalysis from you, Joe. Kyle will have to take charge more as some good seniors are gone from last year's team.

Average Joe
09-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I have heard that Coach Ray was down to Nampa Idaho on Tuesday to see Kyle at open gym. Coach Ray was then on his way to Texas to see a JC player out of the Houston area. Anyone heard what coach Ray thought about Dranginis ?:)

BobZag
09-18-2009, 08:42 AM
I have heard that Coach Ray was down to Nampa Idaho on Tuesday to see Kyle at open gym. Coach Ray was then on his way to Texas to see a JC player out of the Houston area. Anyone heard what coach Ray thought about Dranginis ?:)

He was impressed. Kyle passes like Boulden and Stepp, and handles it like good PGs do.

cjm720
09-18-2009, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the report.

Any idea who the kid from TX is?

Go zags!!!

BobZag
09-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the report.

Any idea who the kid from TX is?

Go zags!!!

A sharpshooting SG, but don't know who or what school.

Average Joe
09-18-2009, 01:32 PM
I think coach Ray was going to look a a big man at a JC in Texas

Average Joe
09-24-2009, 10:51 AM
:) Was just talking to my friend in Idaho and Kyle is now being recruited by Notre Dame, Virginia and Oregon State. So now the list of BIG SCHOOLS is Gonzaga, Washington State, Utah, Utah State, Oregon State, Viriginia, Notre Dame, Boise State, St Marys, Portland State, University of Portland and University of San Diego. He must have gotten bigger or stronger during the summer. Sure hope the Zags offer soon or he might end up at the Irish.

spudzag
09-24-2009, 11:12 AM
:) Sure hope the Zags offer soon or he might end up at the Irish.

I don't know the inner workings, but my guess is that the Coaches my waiting to see what direction the other prospects are going to do.

BobZag
09-24-2009, 02:28 PM
I think Dranginis is right at the top. That's what I hear.

WMS2GUBULLDOG
09-26-2009, 03:02 AM
Hey sounds really awesome, but the focus has to be on witjer and bell jr, if not nick johnson if there was someway in heck we could land him. Sounds like that pg we need for the future

BobZag
09-26-2009, 08:40 AM
I was told the Nick Johnson recruitment is crazy so I don't expect GU to be involved much longer.

Bell, Dranginis, Wiltjer would be a killer 1, 2, 3 catch all in one year--2011. I'd take that in a nanosecond.

I've watched Dranginis in a couple of games and I think he might've missed one NBA range trey in both games combined. Impressive. I've watched Bell, Jr, and was impressed. Both are good and versatile enough to play PG and SG, ala Stepp, Dickau, Bouldin, and even some Wing, ala Richie Frahm. Add in Wiltjer at the SF, ala Daye, Downs, and that is a class to be pumped about.

Much to be excited about in 2011 recruiting.