PDA

View Full Version : Machtolf a candidate at UW

TheCroatian
07-07-2009, 06:43 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2009429985_uwbase08.html

hope he stays at GU... could really build a nice program with our facilities

El Voce
07-13-2009, 07:49 PM
I know Mark fairly well, and would be very surprised if he left Spokane. His Spokane roots run very, very deep, and I just can't see him leaving the area. Just my opinion from what I know about him.

Zag 77
07-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Hope you are right, Voce. Would be tough to lose him with the program finally on the upswing. Hopefully he is just hoping to get a little sweeter salary package at GU (nothing wrong with that) and I would think he derserves that. Plus, he has a son who will be a soph at G-Prep (also a baseball player) and most people don't like to uproot their kids during HS years.

Oldzag15
07-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I think you're on the right track Voce. I played with or against Mark since we were in our early teens. His roots are very, very strong here in Spokane and I think his love for Gonzaga is too. I feel it would take a bigger program than UW for him to even consider a move.

Angelo Roncalli
07-16-2009, 10:38 AM
UW has godawful baseball facilities. GU has one of the best baseball facilities in the west. It's better than most Pac-10 venues.

Zags are on the uptick; Huskies, not so much.

The Huskies are rumored to have offered the VA Tech coach, who apparently turned them down.

I, too, think MM stays.

Angelo Roncalli
07-17-2009, 11:52 AM
USD coach apparently spurns UW:

Washington made waves on Wednesday by enticing San Diego coach Rich Hill to make a last-second trip to Seattle. But after a day of dealing with Washington officials, sources said Hill departed for a planned vacation without making a decision on the post.
There's certainly a chance Hill decides to make the move to Washington. But it must be said that if he left Seattle and went on vacation without making a decision, there's an even better chance he decides to return to San Diego.
A decision to stay put at USD would surprise no one.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/baseball/blog/ncaabb_experts/post/Thursday-night-update-on-Washington-coaching-sea?urn=ncaabb,177119

The article goes on to say that USF coach Nino Giarratano may be the next candidate. It may be an attractive move for Giarrantano. UW's baseball facility is bad; USF's is worse.