• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JAGzag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Why doesn't Turiaf play more?

For those of you in the know, someone explain why Turiaf isn't seeing more minutes. It seems every time I check a box score, he gets great production in limited time. Last game: 15 min, 8 pts on 3-4, 2-2 FT, 3 REB and 3 blocks. I mean aside from Kobe (diff posistion, I know) he's not playing behind superstars, what gives?
    Last edited by JAGzag; 04-03-2007, 06:46 PM. Reason: Typo
  • ExtremeJim
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

He commits a foul every 5 minutes, 27 seconds

In the NBA, you're disqualified after your sixth, so the most he could play would be about two-thirds of a 48-minute game, on average. Once he gets that under control (as he did his senior year in college) he should be in line to play more minutes.

A second-year player doesn't get much in the way of a break from the officials, but as he stays in the league, he'll gradually be called for fewer and fewer fouls, even if he does nothing to change his style. They tend to accept whatever a player does as "legal," once he gets some longevity. (Ask any guard from the 1990's if Stockton got called for every foul he committed.)

Comment

• ZagNut08
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

You got it, its the fouls. Kwame, although not living up to his #1 pick status is pretty solid at the PF slot, he is one of the better defenders of a true post player in the league imo. However, his offense and touch are not great around the basket. Bynum is being groomed to be the next great lakers center, but the jury is still out if he has what it takes...both skill wise and also work ethic and drive.

He has dealt with injuries all year...starting with bursitis in the hips, and recently left a game with back spasms. With all the surgery and injury he is likely not at 100%. It will be interesting to see what happens to him as a free agent. I would love to see the Lakers resign him. Kobe loves him, and he is the energy behind the team.

Comment

• Rubbadub
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

His problems are fouls and injuries. Turiaf is doing all he can to get back from the injuries...the problem with the fouls is that he is probably the toughest low post defender on the team and he prides himself on that. As of yet though, he has not gotten used to uber athletic players that think to draw fouls first when they get inside on him.

All of that being said, Ronny is loved by the LA fans, has a sweet jumper when he decides that he wants to score (which he doesnt do enough of and that also contributes to his lack of PT), has a high free throw percentage, is very athletic, has a great team first attitude and thus i can only see his playing time rise over time.
        sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• sonuvazag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Because Kobe is unofficially in charge of the team, Ronny's probably set to get a bigger opportunity in the future. I saw him get some great production early in the year and put him on my fantasy team right away. Too bad no consistent minutes, but I'm also in the camp that believes we will see him thrive in Tinseltown.
          Agent provocateur

Comment

• Zag79
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

you hit the nail on the head sonuva...

Because Kobe is unofficially in charge of the team, Ronny's probably set to get a bigger opportunity in the future.
            its always nice to be best buds with a top50 of all time player...

Comment

Working...
            X