PDA

View Full Version : Steven Gray Update

Angelo Roncalli
07-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Comprehensive story on what Steven's been up to. Plus this bit on an injury that plagued him last year:

During a Dec. 31 game at Utah, Gray caught his pinky in an opponent’s uniform. It bent enough that it tore ligaments or cartilage in his shooting wrist and it hampered him all season as it was constantly re-injured in practice and games. Catching the ball hurt, and Gray shot 45 percent from the field; he shot 49 percent as a freshman.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/jul/01/the-boys-of-summer/

bballbeachbum
07-02-2009, 08:13 AM
right on Angelo, good find, nice little look into Steven's world

there are some pics of Steven in there too attached to the article.

and had no idea about the severity of the wrist. wow, that's pretty tough to play with painful injured wrists, and not cry about it...I like this kid :)

still waters run deep, that's my take on Steven, and his game. those of you who know him, is that at all accurate?

another quote below:

“I’m going to be involved more offensively this year,” Gray said.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

LongIslandZagFan
07-02-2009, 08:45 AM
right on Angelo, good find, nice little look into Steven's world

there are some pics of Steven in there too attached to the article.

and had no idea about the severity of the wrist. wow, that's pretty tough to play with painful injured wrists, and not cry about it...I like this kid :)

still waters run deep, that's my take on Steven, and his game. those of you who know him, is that at all accurate?

another quote below:

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Couple of things...

a) When we see a player NOT play like himself perhaps we should always put in the back of our minds that they are playing with pain from injuries that we don't know about instead of making comments about them regressing. IMHO, it happens year in and year out on this board... and its is always around the summer that we find out the reality of the situation.

b) I am diggin' the hair. Its starting to look a bit more Zag-ish. It seems the two choices seem to be a Zag are mop tops and shaved close... don't see too many haircuts in-between.

BobZag
07-02-2009, 09:14 AM
That pretty much explains his slight drop-off in shooting. Good to know, actually. Be healthy, Steven.

zaggernaut
07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
And as the shots go up, so could the volume on the talks about his future as an NBA player. So far, they’ve been muted whispers, but if you listen, you can hear some conjecture about if and where he could go.

Gray doesn’t want to hear it, in whisper form or blasted over the speakers at the McCarthy Athletic Center.

“I remove myself so far from people who want to talk like that,” Gray said. “I’m looking at all four years; get the degree and go from there.”

Its nice to see that he sounds like he is enjoying the college experience and that he is committed to being here for 4 years. I know its a stretch at this point to see him leaving early but things could change a lot in a year. If he were to have a big year (which I think he will - provided he stays healthy), I could see some NBA teams looking at him. He's got decent size and athleticism, a great shooting touch and I think he is an underrated passer. There were many times last season where he was the best player on the court and the biggest thing he needs to improve is his consistency.

CDC84
07-02-2009, 09:32 AM
According to Seth Davis, NBA teams are very interested in Steven:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/06/22/colorado/1.html

Gonzaga lost four of its top five scorers from last year's team that went 28-6 and fell to North Carolina in the Sweet 16: seniors Jeremy Pargo, Micah Downs and Josh Heytvelt, as well as 6-11 sophomore Austin Daye, who declared for the NBA draft. But Mark Few's program has been a consistent winner, and once again he has a bunch of players ready to step in. While 6-5 senior Matt Bouldin has proven he can be effective in all areas, much of the Zags' prospects will hinge on whether 6-5 junior guard Steven Gray is ready to have a breakout season. Gray tantalizes NBA scouts with his size, his athleticism, and most importantly his butter-smooth shooting stroke. (He's a career 39.6 percent shooter from three.) The only thing Gray lacks is a superstar's confidence to go with his prodigious gifts. "We've been after Steve forever to hunt his shot more," said Few, who served as a court coach during the USA trials. "It's just not in his personality. I tell him, you've got a great stroke. Be aggressive."

I don't think most people realize that Steven has something like a 40 inch vertical leap. The only time I really noticed it last year was during the game at Portland when some Zag whipped a pass into Gray near the hoop while he was in traffic.....in about a nanosecond Steven was way above the rim jamming it home. He is capable of doing more than what we have seen from him. Let's hope he stays healthy for once. He's going to get a lot of shots this year.

tyra
07-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I thought the most impressive and important change in Steven from his freshmen to sophomore year wasn't his incremental falloff in three point shooting but his improvement in slash-to-the-basket moves. This is going to be the most interesting season in a long time . . .

thespywhozaggedme
07-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I readily concede that when it comes to my beloved Zags, hyperbole and homerism, I have in spades. That being said, a two headed two guard monster of Steven and Manny may be the best in the country. Yeah, I said it. :D

BroncoZAG615
07-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Makes some sense as his best game of the year was against UConn in the Battle in Seattle. I'm no doctor but maybe Abe or MedZag can help me understand the injury. Why was he playing with torn ligaments? I ask because their were many games in WCC play where he hurt more than helped. With Pargo, Bouldin, and Meech I think we could have gone through WCC play and let Steven get healthy and come back towards the end of the year if that would have been possible.

I need a doctor!

BobZag
07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Surgery takes long to heal. That's why Kobe played with torn pinky ligaments almost all year. By the time Steven is able to return, it's March or too late.

I've always thought Steven had some Ray Allen in him. I'd love to see him make a big jump this next season.

Reborn
07-02-2009, 02:06 PM
I've always thought Steven had some Ray Allen in him. I'd love to see him make a big jump this next season.

ditto. From the first time I saw him (his sophomore year in high school), and the first thing I said about him here on the board was, he looks a lot like Ray Allen. He's only going to be a Junior, and as he said, he plans on being here for 4 years, he is only going to improve. We will see a lot more points from him this year, and I think he's going to be very entertaining. Matt and Steven on the Wings with Meech and GJ in the middle is going to be loads of fun. And then add Kong and Arop into the mix on wings and it's going to be more than fun..............Can't think of the word? I need some help. What word describes somethings as "more than fun?"

DixieZag
07-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Three letter word, starts with s, rhymes with x. And good Gonzaga basketball can interfere.

tyra
07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
When did GU Bball ever interfere with s*x? I guess you fellas just aren't married to a grad. :)

BobZag
07-02-2009, 05:26 PM

Me like. :)

katman50
07-02-2009, 06:07 PM
The fact is, IMO, Steven Gray could be the most successful Zags, at the next level, ever, after JS. We all know he has a sweet stroke and can shoot. We also know, if he so desires, he can drive to the hoop. On top of that, I believe he can be an even better passer, and plays above average defense. He is only going to get better. Last year, aside from injuries, he was possibly only the third or fourth option on offense. As Few says, I would like to see him develop an attitude (positive of course) and show what he is really capable of. It's going to be a lot of fun, this year. Will he be the first option or will MB? I'm stoked! And yes, he will definitely play at the next level! After he gets his degree! LOL! Go Zags. Let's get this season going!!!!!!!!!!!!

NotoriousZ
07-02-2009, 08:22 PM
See--the infamous Patty Mills game wasn't tainted after all! If Gray was healthy he would have had at least 7 or 8 threes in the first half.

:D

Seriously, I thought Steven was going to have an amazing Sophmore year, to the point of him possibly joining Daye in the NBA this year. Let's hope he stays healthy and busts out like we know he can. And then he comes back for his senior year--good call Steven.

Rbo
07-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I thought the most impressive and important change in Steven from his freshmen to sophomore year wasn't his incremental falloff in three point shooting but his improvement in slash-to-the-basket moves. This is going to be the most interesting season in a long time . . .

Right on, Tyra! If Steven combines the sweet touch from the outside that he showed as a frosh with the power drives to the hole that he exhibited last year, he will be a legit threat.

bballbeachbum
07-03-2009, 07:37 AM
how he played last year, his attitude and how he viewed his own role, was that of a highly dedicated wingman imo, but in the aerial sense not the basketball one; he had Jeremy's six, Matt's, Micah's and on down the line. Not that he couldn't fly on his own--clearly he can and did--but when he looked around the locker room, he saw JP, JH, Micah, AD, Matt.......

that's how he viewed his own role on last year's team, no matter what he was told it was, etc. just can't fake that stuff, you know?

so, out of respect, he deferred to them (maybe that's the wrong word, but something like that) psychologically

this year when he looks around the locker room, it'll be different, and his attitude will adjust accordingly imo. when he's told to be the man, he'll already know he is. and he's one of the few who we know can get his own shot on this year's team, like Tyra mentioned re. his ability to slash and get to the basket, vs. the likes of UConn no less.

I think he'll thrive in this year's environment.

we'll see.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

ZagNative
07-03-2009, 07:47 AM
I want to see a whole lot more Steven Gray celebrating a three-point shot like this onme against Tennessee in the champiomship game in Orlando:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Steven%20Gray/2008-11-30StevenTellesseeHasaHootat.jpg

And, see? He hadn't "haired over" yet! I don't know if he got a Sampson complex or what, but he's such a handsome kid, I want to see his shiny face without all that fuzz! And he had 14 points and 6 assists, on 3 of 7 three-point shooting in that game. Coincidence? Get those clippers out, friend!

Reborn
07-03-2009, 10:51 AM
It's been inspirational to me to have learned that Steven played injured all year, and a word about the injury was never spoken. That's character to me, and character is synonomous with the word, ZAG to me. So often, there is a jinx that seems to be on so many Sophomores. The Junior year is the year that so many players break out and come into their own. Steven's injury is clearly the reason he didn't shoot better this past season, and (as has been said here) he showed that he can attack the rim, as well as, shoot the 10-12 foot pull-up jumper. I've seen the "tool kit" that hold all of his shots, and believe me he as a huge variety that will begin to be displayed this year. The reason I'm excited about next year is that we will begin to see them displayed on the hardwood floors. I'm so excited to see what the trio of guards, Meech, Matt and Steven have to show. This team may become better than I first ever thought it could be by the end of it all. If our Freshmen can mature and learn the college game, we have a great chance in March. And I think they can. I think Kong especially and probably Harris are already pretty mature, and Arop and Olynyck have displayed talent already. I think our biggest concern is at the 4 spot.

lothar98zag
07-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Couple of things...

a) When we see a player NOT play like himself perhaps we should always put in the back of our minds that they are playing with pain from injuries that we don't know about instead of making comments about them regressing. IMHO, it happens year in and year out on this board... and its is always around the summer that we find out the reality of the situation...

this is true...although sometimes players do actually regress (or don't improve as much as expected).

Also, some may wonder why "we" don't find out about this during the season. Well, if "we" know, then the other team knows and that definitely doesn't help the Zags.

zag67
07-03-2009, 11:55 AM
So Reborn, I do agree that 4 is a "potential" weak point. But at the same time I say that I feel that Harris (international experience), Poling (one year redshirt experience with the Gu players and plays), and Dower (backup for center and power forward) will fill that hole. What I am hoping is that on any given night and depending on the opponent, one of these players will be able to step up and neutralize their inside game.

I feel that if we can play their 4/5 positions even, then we should be able to outplay them in the other positions. With Meech/ GV/ Bouldin at the point, Bouldin/Gray/Gibbs at the 2 and then Bouldin/Kong/Arop/Olynyk at the 3, I think we can play with almost anyone.

Now realistically, I do beleive that we will have some early losses as they learn to play together, but I think that this is going to be a fun group to watch.

Regan
07-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Makes some sense as his best game of the year was against UConn in the Battle in Seattle. I'm no doctor but maybe Abe or MedZag can help me understand the injury. Why was he playing with torn ligaments? I ask because their were many games in WCC play where he hurt more than helped. With Pargo, Bouldin, and Meech I think we could have gone through WCC play and let Steven get healthy and come back towards the end of the year if that would have been possible.

I need a doctor!

And I stepped out at halftime to call my buddy who is a die-hard Husky fan. I ran into a guy claiming to be Steven's dad, and we ended up chatting for a bit. He said he was a little frustrated that they weren't getting his son more involved. Said, "he told me this morning he was feeling it. I could see it in his eyes. He's going to have a big second half... If they get him the ball."

I think Steven is going to have a monster year.

dim4sum
07-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I like to see a little more consistency from Steven on the defensive side.
For one, he was frequently out of position, charging back furiously after not anticipating screens, only to arrive late after successful three point shots had been launched. Thus, his biggest failing seems to come in half-court d.
But he showed some nice anticipation in open court and had some brilliant breakaways following steals.
I wish Few would take a cue from Ben Howland and get his players thinking that the best O starts with great D. I think the team has the speed this year to make it happen. There's a lot of speed even inside--with Olynik, Foster (yes, the guy can move) and Dower (for blocks).