• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewZagDad
    Redshirt
    • Jul 2009

Your School is Amazing

Our family lives in the Bay Area and our son will be a high school senior next year. Our family has spent the last two weeks visiting schools our son is interested in attending. We visited the local Catholic colleges and universities first, USF, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, and Dominican. We spent this past weekend and the first two days this week visiting Portland and Gonzaga. We just returned from Spokane this afternoon.

We didn't realize it when we made our plans, but we saved the best for last.

Everything about our two days in Spokane was incredible. The campus was spectacular and our interaction with the students and faculty we met could not have been more positive. We had a great tour of campus with a student guide. After the tour, we encountered one of the Jesuits. The good father took time out of his day to talk to us and show us some of his favorite parts of campus. We were especially impressed with the new electrical engineering building and facilities. As our son is considering a career in engineering, he was in hog heaven. We also got to check out the living facilities in Kennedy Hall and were most impressed. The student apartments there are the nicest, most modern living environment we have seen at any of the schools we've visited. Our son was a bit disappointed when he heard that they're for upperclassmen, but his disappointed quickly vanished when he saw and heard about the new dorm for freshman that will be opening soon.

Our son plays football, but is considering taking up rowing. Our tour of the athletic facilities was an eye-opener, especially the training facility for rowers. The student recreation and fitness center is first class, far better than any of the others we've seen this summer. We were able to watch some of the basketball camp and my son pointed out some of the Zag players he recognized to his mother and me. One of them was John Stockton's son. He looks a lot like his dad.

We spent part of yesterday rafting on the Spokane River and visited a winery downtown where we talked with one of the owners. He told us that he went to Gonzaga and was at all the home basketball games.

Well, our visit ended with junior telling us that Gonzaga was his first choice. It's mine and his mother's, too. He is going to apply for early action, so we'll be saying our prayers until the acceptances come out.
  • GoZAGsMang
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

very nice to hear - good luck to your son

very nice to hear - good luck to your son

and

GoZAGsMang

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Welcome to the family. Glad you loved Gonzaga. You're amongst a bunch of like minded folks.

Comment

• ZigZagSoCal
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

Prayers and best wishes for your family's decision being fulfilled. Spokane truly is a special place. My family has been away for over 20 years and still miss the city and especially the folks there terribly. Perhaps one of the last 'small town' metropolitan left in the U.S.

Good luck!!
        "There is a time when panic is the appropriate response." Eugene Kleiner

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2008

I was in the EXACT same position a few years back. I'm a Marin County native, and I was convinced that i wanted to go to either USF or St. Mary's. A friend of mine, whose older brother went to Gonzaga, convinced me to take a trip with him up to Spokane, and, long story short, I'm now a Zag for life.

The only thing that looks better than the GU campus is that diploma on your wall.

Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!
          What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

Nice first post.
            I hope your son will get accepted into Gonzaga.
            It is a great school for academic and also a great place to meet new friends.
            I am where I am today because of Gonzaga. It is good to hear that your son will be an engineer, as I am a mechanical engineer. Gonzaga will get him ready for the real world after he graduated.

Good luck and welcome.

Comment

• GUZagDenver
              Kennel Club Material
              • Oct 2008

Awesome post. Good luck, and hopefully he gets the early acceptance so that he has everything out of the way.

Comment

• webspinnre
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Great post. If he decides rowing isnt his thing he should check out the ultimate frisbee team. Its a full club sport that travels up and down the west coast (and every year or two plays a tourney in the Bay area). They're always looking for premier athletes, and recently finished in the top 10 in the Northwest (idaho, montana, washington, oregon and northern california).
                I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• 77Zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Aug 2007

Just One Visit

Nice post and best of luck on the acceptance process-- I'm a Bay Area original, now in Central Valley of California. Also a very proud grad.

My first visit so many years ago was the knock out blow for myself - but to be honest, GU was in now way the campus it is now. As a matter of fact, Spokane was in no way the city/town it is now. I'm talking pre- Expo 74 for my visit and acceptance. What a transition for GU and Spokane. Zagland is certainly a special place.

You are are welcome to Private Message as needed for more insights --

Hope your wine downtown added to your decision, there are some good little boutique wineries in Spokane.

You will be a proud Dad, just as I am, with two in process currently.

Go Zags!
                  “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Comment

• IrishZag
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                    Great post. If he decides rowing isnt his thing he should check out the ultimate frisbee team. Its a full club sport that travels up and down the west coast (and every year or two plays a tourney in the Bay area). They're always looking for premier athletes, and recently finished in the top 10 in the Northwest (idaho, montana, washington, oregon and northern california).
                    It's true, pretty soon the Easy E will be holding campus visit for the Gonzaga Ultimate Club team that will rival Mark Few's recruiting pitches. Although the Ultimate team hasn't pulled in a 5 star recruit or a burger boy yet, but there are a couple of four star players on the radar for 2010.

All jokes about the obscurity of Ultimate Frisbee aside, good luck to your son. There are plenty of activities on campus athletic, academic, and beyond worthy of his commitment.

Comment

• ZagNative
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

In the interest of full disclosure ... if your son comes to Gonzaga, you might want to pack a couple of extra pairs of snuggies ...

I would be hard-pressed to live anywhere but Spokane. because I love the place, but in the rosy glow of summer, I can't help but remember this view from my front porch a year ago this winter ...

That's a skiier in the street and a three-foot tunnel through the snow down to the sidewalk.

Ronny Turiaf told this story,
                      Turiaf also took recruiting trips to Pepperdine and Saint Mary's, but Spokane in the summer looked appealing. Besides, he got the hard sell from Calvary, who brazenly informed the recruit he could go to one of the other schools and sit on the beach and be the same player, or come to Gonzaga and flourish.

Everything that was explained to him turned out to be gospel, except for one minor loophole.

"It was good weather when I went, it was 'Summertime in the 509,' as (teammate) Adam Morrison always says," said Turiaf, who last week wore a heavy, fur-lined coat as he walked through frequent snow flurries.

"They said the weather was kind of like Paris. That was a blunt, bold lie."
                      However, when Ronny left Gonzaga, these words of his were memorialized in the Zags' locker at the MAC:

The good news and bad news about the snow, though is the fact that, a mere 86 miles away, Schweitzer Mountain awaits:

Comment

• sullyzag66
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

And if your son wearies of the Spokane winters, he could always spend his junior year at Gonzaga-in-Florence, which is an awesome experience in its own right.

Comment

Working...
                        X