PDA

View Full Version : NCAA committee abolishes last 12 games criteria

CDC84
07-01-2009, 11:40 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2009-07-01/starting-five-celebrating-death-last-12

1. Now that the NCAA has eliminated the "last 12 games" from the official criteria for tournament selection, are you declaring victory?

My campaign against this part of the NCAA Tournament selection process began nearly a decade ago, when it became apparent lots of teams that finished the season poorly were doing well in the tournament, anyway. So I began researching the matter and discovered how a team finished its regular season had no correlation to its success in the tournament.

After writing on this several times, I was contacted by an Illinois State professor, Chad McEvoy, whose statistical work demonstrated no single element of the process correlated less to tournament success than the "stretch run" factor.

It's neither fair nor logical to suppose a particular portion of the regular season should be of greater importance. Baseball games in the September pennant drive might seem more important, but ultimately a team makes the playoffs based on how it performs from April to October.

Committee chair Mike Slive acknowledged this with the 2009 selections and is to be congratulated for pushing to eliminate the stretch-run factor as official committee policy.

lothar98zag
07-01-2009, 12:18 PM
:clap:

Baldwinzag
07-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Interesting. While I'm in full support of the eliminating the rule, how much does this actually help the Zags considering we've been undefeated in our Conference 3 of the last 5 years? I would think GU would benefit from the "last 12 games" criteria rather than be hindered by it. Generally, we are 12-0 or possibly 11-1 going into the Tourney anyway...

duper
07-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I can understand not wanting to put more wieght on the last 12 games, but, don't we want the teams in the tourney who are the best on selection day. Not who was the best in January. I don't see very many senerios that would have the Zags not making the tourney, I do however think they will be a much better team at the end of the yr than at the begining, given the youth factor on this yrs team.

bullzag23
07-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I can understand not wanting to put more wieght on the last 12 games, but, don't we want the teams in the tourney who are the best on selection day. Not who was the best in January. I don't see very many senerios that would have the Zags not making the tourney, I do however think they will be a much better team at the end of the yr than at the begining, given the youth factor on this yrs team.

The committee would prefer to have the teams who have are better based on the entire season rather than just a span of a few weeks at the end of the year. I'm having trouble seeing how this change puts more teams in that are 'the best in january', as it simply no longer emphasizes a team's final 12 games.

CDC84
07-01-2009, 01:00 PM
The other reason why this criteria was rightfully abolished is because not all conferences have balanced schedules, and some teams have much tougher schedules toward the end of the regular season than other teams.

SunDevilGolfZag
07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
What about BCS membership criteria -- anything new on that one?:p