PDA

View Full Version : Multiple GU references in Cameron Dollar article

GoZags
06-29-2009, 12:30 PM
From Jim Capel -- ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=4293928)

siliconzag
06-29-2009, 01:16 PM
for posting this.

Seattle U's attempt at a comeback is largely in the hands of Mr. Dollar, who is obviously a talented recruiter.

One of the challenges facing a team wanting to re establish itself is recruiting players who will make it possible. Seattle U was put on the map by the O Brien twins, no doubt about that. Among their famous hoop alumni were John Tresvant, Eddie Miles, Tom Workman and the most famous of all, Elgin Baylor. Many forget to include the first American to climb Mt. Everest, James Whittaker who also played ball at SU.

The article suggests that they are considering taking a young man who would not be eligible for the UW due to academic concerns. What I hope Seattle U is very careful to do is to make sure that whatever academic hardship cases they decide to accept, that they put the energy into helping these young men catch up on whatever deficits they have.

Seattle U took a risk on Elgin Baylor, who was one of the first, if not the first to leave before his Senior year for the NBA draft. Baylor also had academic problems. He has obviously become an accomplished business man, although I don't know if he ever came back to finish up at Seattle U. I have heard by some that even though Seattle U continues to extol Baylor, that he has been lukewarm to helping Seattle U resurrect its D1 hoop program.

Seattle U's resurgence is good for sports in the NW and also for Gonzaga. Down the road, if Dollar is as good as I think he is, Seattle U will present an attractive RPI resume compared to others in the WCC.

With Microsoft, Costco and old Boeing connections, I think the alumni pockets are pretty deep on Broadway and Marion, and I would not be surprised to see them do well. And I don't think the failure of USF to succeed in their efforts should discourage the new AD at all.

Sili

Angelo Roncalli
06-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Some serious "gilding" in the article:

The school dropped basketball as a Division I sport in 1980, however, during a severe budget crisis, choosing to run it as a Division II program instead.

The NCAA was about to hit SU hard, very hard, for numerous serious violations, recruiting and otherwise. Fr. Sullivan saw the handwriting on the wall and abandoned ship. The budget crisis may have been a factor, but the NCAA sword of Damocles was the major reason for SU dropping to D-2.