PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Sean Mallon

Angelo Roncalli
02-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Gonzaga senior Sean Mallon has been named to the ESPN The Magazine/College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) District VIII All-Academic first team. He has a 3.54 graduate school GPA in organizational leadership and 3.29 undergraduate GPA in political science.

tobizag
02-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Love hearing good news about the quality student athletes we have at this school. Check out the women's board for two of our women's b-ball players who are also Academic All-Americans.

bulldogshawn
02-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Think he'd get in at SCU? :-P

Bulldog
02-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Shawn is a great kid, he deserves all Kudos he can get.

lothar98zag
Think he'd get in at SCU? :-P
you stole my line...

Congrats SM!

Qhall43
Congrats Mallon. Not bad considering the sub-par high school education he endured :p

BobZag
02-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Well, BDS, Sean was eligible and ought-after by Stanford, so I suppose he'd just miss the cut. :rolleyes:

cielmike
02-08-2007, 04:21 PM
We're really proud of your efforts on and off the court.

Mike

bulldogshawn
02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Shawn is a great kid, he deserves all Kudos he can get.
Why thank you, what do you think of Sean?

you stole my line...

Congrats SM!
Of course I stole your line, I'm just so clever...

Well, BDS, Sean was eligible and ought-after by Stanford, so I suppose he'd just miss the cut. :rolleyes:
Well, if he was ONLY eligible at Stanford I'm certain SCU wouldn't take him.

In all seriousness, this is a huge thing for Sean. Quite an accomplishment, especially considering this was with Graduate degree work, while most others were undergrad.

GoZags
02-08-2007, 04:38 PM
ATTABOY Sean Mallon.

Very proud of you.

Oregon Zag
02-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Way to go, Sean! This achievement is one to be proud of for a lifetime.

mendiant
02-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Great job Sean!

sanfranzagsguy20
02-08-2007, 09:10 PM
sean is the prototypical student-athlete...sometimes people forget that these kids are students who play basketball....pargo had a great quote in his spokesman interview the other day when he said something along the line of "without class, there is no basketball"

congratulations to sean...he will be missed on and off the court in future years

Nevtelen
02-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Plus, that Organizational Leadership program is a Ph.D program (I had a friend who went through it a couple years back) - depending on his class load, Mallon could finish pretty soon with a doctorate degree. Not too shabby, if you ask me...

spkngrl
02-09-2007, 07:09 AM
Congrats Mallon. Not bad considering the sub-par high school education he endured :p

Haha, sub-par indeed, I think there is some genetic mutation that occurs during one's stay there... am so thankful my uncle no longer lives behind the school, as EVERY TIME we drove past my mother would start singing that blasted fight song. :D

tobizag
02-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Nevtelen,

Actually, the Org. Leadership is a Master's Program. This is essentially a two year program.http://www.gonzaga.edu/Academics/Colleges+and+Schools/School+of+Professional+Studies/Organizational+Leadership/default.asp

There is a Doctoral program for Leadership studies, but that is a separate program and not the one Sean is doing.

DoggieDogpound
02-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Hopefully Rick Majerus can mention this Sean Melon achievement next time he does a Zag game.

cielmike
02-09-2007, 01:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully Rick Majerus can mention this Sean Melon achievement next time he does a Zag game.

Unfortunately, achievement has more than two sylables. Unless the word is in a major food group, it's doubtful Mr. Majerus could spit it out.

Zag79
02-09-2007, 01:23 PM
leave it to mallon to get this award... ;) great job sean.

zag69
02-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Congratulations to Sean...it's been an honor to have you on the team!

Reminds us of what the first part of 'student-athlete' is all about.

john montana
02-10-2007, 07:56 AM
congrats sean!

wazZag
02-10-2007, 09:33 AM
I've been a critic of Mallon's up until this year. I'm really going to miss his presence on the floor this year. He's a leader, he sets an amazing example, and is a fine example of what a scholarship to Gonzaga can get you if you work hard.

brasszag
02-10-2007, 10:44 AM
We must have left all the haters at the old board.

zaglawdad
02-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Angelo, I love your quote from Norm Few about no record trout from the LA river. I grew up in east LA. Never saw any fisherman at the LA river either.

Zag509
02-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Great guy and a great player

Sean-y Boy!!!

former1dog
02-10-2007, 07:24 PM
A true Bulldog and a true Zag, that Sean Mallon. A perfect example of all that is right with our program at GU.

Thank you Sean Mallon!

BTW - I thought it was perfect and very telling that Sean gave the post game TV interview tonight.

ZagPhD
02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
He has been horrid from the line and he throws up a three? Nice senior leadership. No matter that it went in.

Oh and they bank a three in as time expires to kick us while we're down.

thickman1
02-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Well it was a relatively uncontested three. Derek backed off a few steps right before he shot it anticipating a drive. Oh well.

ZagPhD
02-12-2007, 09:37 PM
two more missed free throws. another foul on a three point attempt. gu 10-24 / sc finally misses its first ft

I'm miserable.

zags422
02-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I am not very happy.

Lurknomore
02-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Has heart and guts!

sullyzag66
02-17-2007, 04:06 PM
He's a freakin' warrior.

sanfranzagsguy20
02-17-2007, 04:08 PM
yep...he's left it all on the court today..i posted earlier he prob shouldnt have been out there but we have no choice with so few bigs...i admire him thats for sure

zaglawdad
02-17-2007, 06:45 PM
There was no quit in Sean Mallon. I was proud of him. I was proud of them all.

lothar98zag
02-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Hopefully he's a lot better on Monday.

NorthoftheBorder
02-17-2007, 07:37 PM
If Sean's ankle is still hurting Monday does Few rest him for the following weekend, or does he have to play in order for Gonzaga to win?

sanfranzagsguy20
02-17-2007, 07:51 PM
well we'd like to have him because of what he can bring in size, heart, and intangibles...sean is always capable of scoring in spurts and can even occasionally keep us in a game...but imo today demonstrated that we DONT have to have him to win a game or at least be in a game but i think that if even if he's only 50% he's going to be hounding few to let him play...dont ever underestimate the power of the guy in his senior year..i think he'll be sore tomorrow see how it feels monday and probably be a game time decision

JLGutrocks
02-17-2007, 07:58 PM
IMO he shouldn't have been playing while limping. If you have to limp to walk, you're making it worse. I know he has the heart of a lion and tons of desire but that's why we have coaches to make decisions for kids. Not taking anything away from him. He struggled valiantly. If I was staring at my last 5 to 8 or so games in a GU uni, short of death you couldn't keep me away.

We will need him dearly in the coming weeks. Burgess could have handled those last two 30 second spells.

lothar98zag
02-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Monday is senior night.

Mallon is a senior.

He will play. It is only a matter of how much.

brasszag
02-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Can't we keep him around for another year?

GUgirl
02-17-2007, 09:23 PM
We were sitting on the baseline and Mallon was right beside us for a good ten minutes in the second half, just walking around and around, stretching his leg, doing everything in his power to be able to get back on the floor and give 110% AGAIN for his team. Talk about selfless and strong...

sanfranzagsguy20
02-17-2007, 09:56 PM
early spokesman story says the chances of him playing are "slim" but i agree lothar..sean HAS to play, even just for a few minutes...its senior night man...heres the link to bergum's early story about the game

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/zags/archive.asp?postID=4566

Zaghuatanejo
02-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Has anyone heard the extent of the injury to Mallon? I'm sure x-rays were done but haven't heard if they were negative or not. :confused:

BobZag
02-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Few said it doesn't look good for Monday vs Portland. Beyond that, nobody knows yet.

brasszag
02-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I can't imagine that he wouldn't start, but get pulled ASAP - it being Senior night at all.

Zaghuatanejo
02-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Few said it doesn't look good for Monday vs Portland. Beyond that, nobody knows yet.

Thanks for the update. Maybe a Wills Reed-esque appearance will be made; he's got to be there to play for Senior Night.

btzag
02-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Mallon is truly a senior leader and someone all the young Zags can look to as a role model, but that being said was anyone else questioning why the coaching staff not only left him in the game for 6-7 plays after the intial sprain but brought him back in the game 2-3 more occasions? I know he wanted to battle like he always does, especially in such an important contest at the end of the season, but in my opinion the coaching staff needs to step in and do what is right for the team. I feel putting Mallon out there when he could barely move actually hurt the team and how would we all feel if Mallon's man had got the offensive rebound on that last missed free throw? It was fairly obvious to me that he could not run/jump/pivot/anything on every play he was on the court after the sprain and against that Memphis team how do you play with four players on the court? I'm sorry to send a negative response to this positive thread but that was poor coaching by Few. At least stick a healthy Burgess out there...

roxdoc
02-18-2007, 08:32 PM
There has been a great deal of discussion on this board about Mallon and his athletic limitations etc. I know I have been guilty of murmering things under my breath at a number of games. The question general is why doesn't Few play other "bigs" instead of him. I believe the reason is that he is smart and he has had very much experience. He knows where to go on the floor and what he is supposed to do. Mind you it does not always work out in a positive sense - the athleticism fails. Probably Burgess is just as, or more athletic, but he hasn't the knowledge or experience to know where to be etc. Hence you go with Mallon. Of course the big question is how can Burgess get experience if he never plays.

tobizag
02-18-2007, 08:38 PM
I just really hope that Sean plays on Senior night. Being a senior, it would kill me to see him on the bench for his last home game. Get better quick Sean, I wanna see that soft jumper tomorrow.

ZagNut08
02-19-2007, 04:58 AM
He was unable to walk on it yesterday without crutches...there is a good chance he will not play tonight. However, there is also the chance he starts and gets immediately pulled. He will no doubt be honored in the usual ways regardless of his playing time

zagster318
02-19-2007, 01:39 PM
This team can't catch a break!:(

former1dog
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I haven't heard definitive word, but I know from reports that it wasn't looking good.

tobizag
02-19-2007, 01:42 PM
he's on crutches, so it's likely he won't play.

zagster318
02-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Hopefully, he can get back by Saturday. They are already thin in the post.

ZagAddict
02-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know that status on Mallon's ankle? Has he been practicing this week?

USF plays a very up and down the court type tempo... not really suitable for Mallon (especially when injured). I'm guessing we will see a lot more Kuso (if he stays out of foul trouble) and smaller lineups to run with USF.

TheZagPhish
02-22-2007, 10:43 PM
I know he doesn't exactly inspire, but I just love the guy. His progress recently reflects a lot of work -- hat tip to the coaches there. Drawing fouls instead of giving them, banging bodies, fighting on boards, blocks... Yes, yes there is much work to be done. His freethrow version 1.0 early in the season was positively twitch-inducing (Krause on the Zags show said it was the ugliest he'd seen), but that has come along too.

I believe Kuso's going to really emerge into a reliable, focused contributor. Now if he figures out how to put it on the floor, and develops a tasty little mid-range shot, I'll believe in Santa again.

Cheers to 31! Bring it, brother!

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
02-22-2007, 11:39 PM
he's found his top speed - I love his heart, but he's not moving any faster on 1 leg than on two.

(PS, that's sarcasm - I think Sean's a great, smart kid...just not at all quick)

brasszag
02-23-2007, 07:41 AM
He's actually got a pretty good spin move in the paint - that I expect is hard to do on a tweaked ankle.

GU69
02-23-2007, 07:52 AM
The newspaper says he can play:

Mallon rolled his left ankle in the second half of the Memphis game last Saturday and played limited minutes against Portland on Monday, but had no noticeable limp in practice Thursday.

Few said he thinks Mallon will be ready to play Saturday against the Dons.

beatProgram
02-23-2007, 08:48 AM
The newspaper says he can play:

Ugh.

In spirit he's a baller, but you simply cannot deny the net negative effect he has on GU's play when they have to adjust both the defense and the offense to compensate for Mallon being on the floor.

There's a reason why some students and alumni started a FaceBook group called, "What if Mallon didn't play today?"

"Warrior," "Team Leader," or whatever else you want to call him. Give him credit where it is due, but he completely changes the tempo of the game that every other GU player on the floor can, and wants to, play.

gamagin
02-23-2007, 09:37 AM
sean didn't have any noticeble limp during warmups against portland, either, but the 1st or second time he had to dig in or turn or make any normal ankle-necessary move (and can you name one that doesn't require it ?), he was limping again.

Having rolled an ankle playing handball, I can say it comes and goes and lasts and lasts. reinjury and re-rolling is a regular occurance, whether a pebble on the street or an attempt to make a quick move.

I did have one of those lace-up ankle brace supports and it helped, but not at handball, running or anything that required a quick motion. I was told every time I put my foot down while running, my ankle, knee and hip had to absorb 2.5 times my weight.

Maybe Sean can operate with a brace, too. I Hope so. But my guess is it will take time and there isn't enough unless he stays off it for a week or two. we'll see soon enough.

zaglawdad
02-23-2007, 12:02 PM
I hope Sean can play. If he is able, you know Few will play him. The Zags will need him before it's all said and done. If he is unable to play, then you can bet he'll be leading the cheers from the bench. Sean seems to find a way to contribute no matter what the circumstances are.

youreachiteach
02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Its funny how mostly everyone has turned against Mallon. He was a great fit next to Ronny and JP, but this season, Josh isnt in the same league as those two, and Mallon is paying the price.

The guy is hurt, and still wants to play and help the team. Cut him some slack.

wazZag
02-23-2007, 12:25 PM
We'll miss Mallon when he's gone despite some of his athletic shortcomings. He's a leader, he plays hard, does it in the classroom, and has good footwork for a big. He also draws more charges than any big man I have seen in a long time.

Zag79
02-23-2007, 12:34 PM
whats funny is that a guy like u reach i teach would stick up for mallons game but yet constantly bash raivio. :rolleyes: now i know you dont know the players or have good reasoning. they are both hard workers who love the school and game, knocking one is like knocking the other.

brasszag
02-23-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm an unabashed fan of Sean as a GU player - partly in response to the often shabby treatment GU "fans" give him, that seems be be based purely on his ungainly run and that he's got that slightly jowl-ly bulldog look about his face.

I realistically recognize that he's not explosive, but the offense seems (to my eyes) run smoother overall when he's in the game (and especially when he's holding down that high-post position)- this year especially.

He's a canny passer, got good court vision for a "big guy" and will do anything for the win. If you want to talk about guys who make it on skill, experience, and treachery - he's the man.

Want gaudy numbers? Not the man. You don't start next to guys who go pro (NBA or Euro) without some pretty significant value though.

People go hot and cold on him as a player based on his numbers, and seem to want for him to be something he isn't; he get's judged by those standards, but not by what he's actually done, and will continue to do for the rest of this season.

UberZagFan
02-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Ugh.

In spirit he's a baller, but you simply cannot deny the net negative effect he has on GU's play when they have to adjust both the defense and the offense to compensate for Mallon being on the floor.

. . .

Give him credit where it is due, but he completely changes the tempo of the game that every other GU player on the floor can, and wants to, play.

Very few teams consistently send 5 guys out there who all can run the floor. Last week we saw one of those few teams. Despite that, many teams run more than GU has this year--in fact, in many past seasons GU ran more than they have this year despite having pianos similar to Mallon. So maybe it's direction from the staff or for any of several other reasons. But you can't just blame it all on Mallon. What's stopping the other four?

J-Lo
02-23-2007, 01:03 PM
What's stopping the other four is that they can't set up a five person offense when they have to wait an extra second + for their fifth to reach the low post.

It hurts on the Defensive end, too, in those situations where it's not quite a fast break, but the other team is down the court more quickly than usual. If our fifth defender, the guy who is supposed to one of our starting post players, is still at the top of the key (or farther out). 5 on 4 with no interior defense = points for the other guys.

I like Mallon, and I hope for future players who share many of his attributes; he's apparently a good student; he TRIES really hard, and doesn't give up; he has been a good part of the team in an emotional sense. But at some point you have to call a spade a spade, and Mallon just isn't the super-human-offensive/defensive force-team anchor that some people on the board make him out to be.

Zag79
02-23-2007, 01:37 PM
i think the difference is guys like viollette, batista, etc (big guys that didnt get up the floor all that fast, i.e. sean) had way betterscoring and rebounding numbers which erased any complaints you may have had. if you take jps avg pts from 19+ to 9 like sean he would have gotten the same complaints. heck when jp had a bad game at memphis last year he got bagged on for being too big and slow. too many hypocritical fans...

UberZagFan
02-23-2007, 01:47 PM
But at some point you have to call a spade a spade, and Mallon just isn't the super-human-offensive/defensive force-team anchor that some people on the board make him out to be.

When you overstate your point, you don't have to do the same to the other poisition. Very few, if any, on this board have claimed Mallon to be a "super-human-offensive/defensive force-team anchor". Mallon has certainly contributed well in his expected role this year. And very few times this year has his inability to get down the court cost GU points because of a 5 on 4 situation. Check the tape.

I suspect many of his fellow players would strongly disagree with your assessment. Several times this year he has contributed to the win in a huge way. The game at UP would be an example. Sparked runs. Hit key shots to stop runs. Even playing with foul trouble, he was good on the blocks and the boards.

sonuvazag
02-23-2007, 01:49 PM
If, early in his career, Sean had been encouraged to play more like a wing, we might have something else with him now. People say he's slow... well, he could be more basketball fast if he had a better feel for the wing. I say this with all due respect. He looks like he could be a very good shooter and I believe he could play faster, but that's an acquired skill to a degree. Quickness is part speed and part technique and that's actually what he lacks is quickness.

As it is, it's not a quick fix, and a quick team is what we need... Mark Few will play him if he can, I hope we all understand this.

lothar98zag
02-23-2007, 01:52 PM
How many times this year did Sean "the sloth" Mallon dribble past his defender from the 3pt line for a layup? Plenty more than super fast althetic JH did. (wait - did JH ever actually do that this season?)

beatProgram
02-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Its funny how mostly everyone has turned against Mallon. He was a great fit next to Ronny and JP, but this season, Josh isnt in the same league as those two, and Mallon is paying the price.

The guy is hurt, and still wants to play and help the team. Cut him some slack.

To be fair I've always been against Mallon. He's the Zach Gourde of this era. I knew Zach personally. He was a really great guy. Solid student, easy to get along with, and tried like hell. Despite that he was no Casey Calvary on the court. He came in clutch from time to time (big against Arizona if I recall), but even he'd admit to having clumsy hands and turning over the ball a lot.

I watch Sean play the same way. Except he doesn't have Gourde's size. Sean definitely gets an "E" for effort, but when you've got at least 6 other guys on the team who can gel in a very fast paced game with a TON of motion and precise execution.

It's a hard sell to say that a guy who's partially injured, and who's already not up to the athletic cut when he's 100%, can play in that kind of offensive/defensive scheme while not having a negative impact on the game.

4 guys on the floor are able and hungry to PUSH PUSH PUSH the game, and that ability is taken away from them. The odd man out needs to keep up, or someone else needs to be put in who can. I think that's what we've seen with the play from Kuso and Pendo, and it has worked well.

I don't think anyone is here to tear down Sean as a person, some of us are just pointing out that on a fast athletic team he's a poor fit for the system.

If I have the option of picking Kuso, Pendo, or Mallon based on nothing but their basketball ability I'm going to pick Kuso or Pendo every time. There are very few times I've ever felt like Kuso or Pendo were a liability while playing other than giving away unnecessary fouls, but they've both improved quite a bit in that respect.

However I can't even count the number of times I've seen Mallon totally roasted by a baseline 3 shooter as he struggles to adjust in his zone. He's been a lot better about it this year, but last season it got to be a running gag about how he went to the hoop for a shot. He almost just let go of the ball automatically expecting the foul call rather than taking it strong to the rim.

Eh. Anyway. Not a lot of point in dragging this out. I'd just rather see Kuso or Pendo get the nod, even if Mallon is healthy.

Zag79
02-23-2007, 02:11 PM
How many times this year did Sean "the sloth" Mallon dribble past his defender from the 3pt line for a layup? Plenty more than super fast althetic JH did. (wait - did JH ever actually do that this season?)

you mean before he traveled doing his spin move or after he traveled bunny hopping with the ball. i like mallon just fine but please dont compare his moves and what he has done compared to JH on a skill and stat level...

UberZagFan
02-23-2007, 02:12 PM
To be fair I've always been against Mallon.

I would hate to see you when you're unfair.

just pointing out that on a fast athletic team he's a poor fit for the system.

Point understood. But this team has hardly played fast and athletic this year. Even the good runs this team has had against other quality opponents like UNC and UT did not come about because of overly fast or athletic play--i.e., GU wasn't doing in those games what Memphis did in the first half last week. The UW win may be somewhat of an exception.

I just never saw Mallon hampering the offense this year. Now if you want to bring up some of the guard play that repeatedly failed to figure out how to feed the post or swing the ball this year than that's another story.

Zag79
02-23-2007, 02:22 PM
I just never saw Mallon hampering the offense this year. Now if you want to bring up some of the guard play that repeatedly failed to figure out how to feed the post or swing the ball this year than that's another story.

mallon has missed alot of bunnies this season, especially for being his height. mallon wasnt the one that got overlooked in the post, that was JH. im not trying to knock mallon as i appreciate how hard he works. but why would you bring up the guards to defend mallons play? or josh for that matter. defend whatever your topic is with its own proof. if mallon is that good, his play and numbers should prove that. but skill wise he is at the middle or bottom of the ladder on this team. to be honest, we all give him more credit than his game is due because he is such a fighter and works so damn hard.

lothar98zag
02-23-2007, 02:24 PM
you mean before he traveled doing his spin move or after he traveled bunny hopping with the ball. i like mallon just fine but please dont compare his moves and what he has done compared to JH on a skill and stat level...

No. I meant what I said, to the rack for 2 pts. And the point wasn't to say he was better than JH. I sorry if you missed it. The point was to show that even though he's supposedly slower than a slug, he somehow is still productive on the floor.

Zag79
02-23-2007, 02:31 PM
he's supposedly slower than a slug, he somehow is still productive on the floor.
very true. i think its a lame argument all around. mallon is good to have on the team. is he that good at hoops on the d1 level? not really. does he contribute? yes. is he a great zag? yes. if you dont like his game, let it go. he still helps the team quite a bit. if you like his game, good but dont act like he is all that.

UberZagFan
02-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Zag79: The point is that no one is really propping him up to be all that. I was just defending the statement that his lack of athletic ability or lack of quickness/speed is hampering this offense. The only reason I brought up the guard play is because if anything, the inability to get into an offense has started with the guards this season and no one in particular. Mallon for several games earlier in the conference season seemed to be the only one able to feed the post.

Essentially, we probably agree. Mallon fits the role at this D1 level on this year's team quite well. Nothing spectacular but then again, not a liability either. That was my point: he's not a liability on this year's team.

And Mallon missing bunnies has nothing to do with him hampering the other players' ability to play fast. Just like Kuso's wretched FT shooting doesn't hampering the team's ability to play fast.

Whatever, this thread has lost its purpose. If Mallon is healthy tomorrow, he'll play.

sonuvazag
02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I am now officially bored. Please no second page here. Ooops

BobZag
02-23-2007, 02:59 PM
High ankle sprain.

May not heal up till after WCC Tourney.

DenDiegoZag
02-23-2007, 03:14 PM
I think that everyone needs to remember that the best Zag tourney teams were the ones that were balanced and played with heart. I think that the combination of Mallon and Kuso provides us with a great amount of just that in the low block; "Balance and Heart." Whether you love or hate either player, there is no rational argument for saying that we are better without one of the two. For example, that is akin to saying that GU would have been a worse team in 2000-01 if we would have had Calvary and Gourde on the floor for a combined 51 minutes a game, much of which was at the same time. Best wishes to Mallon, and we should all hope for his speedy return to good health.