PDA

View Full Version : Who Steps Up as Fearless Leader?

soonerterp
04-03-2007, 01:42 AM
I say Pargo and Pendergraft ... with Pendergraft being not just improving his statistics (something he was doing when he got more PT in the wake of the Heytvelt/Davis thing) but also being more vocal since he will be a senior (as will P-Mac and Kuso if I'm not mistaken).

Thoughts?

LongIslandZagFan
04-03-2007, 07:37 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Pargo has the attitude of a natural leader Pendo will step it up next year. This is Jeremy's team for the next two years IMHO.

Birddog
04-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Jeremy may be the floor general, but Pendo will be the emotional leader and the guy that leads off the court, in practice, etc. Pendo is the Alpha male next year IMO.

Birddog

gamagin
04-03-2007, 08:07 AM
is there a rule about putting a new headline on any topic and just going forward ? there should be.

it seems like there are half a dozen threads essentially on the same topic -- team leadership next year -- and yet, another one pops up this am. if there were some way to pick up or follow this thread, or any of them, it would be/could be interesting. productive.

as it is, it's like several dozen huddles in which variations of the same theme get repeated and nothing new, or all that interesting, emerges as a result. imo.

I don't even remember the name of the thread in which I posted on this same topic. but it's somewhere in the mix.

but the beef is there seems to be some who put a new title on just about every post.

how ?

LongIslandZagFan
04-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Great idea then... people should read the existing threads before adding a new one to make sure the topic hasn't been covered.

Birddog
04-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Great idea then... people should read the existing threads before adding a new one to make sure the topic hasn't been covered.
Hey Soonerterp and I live in Oklahoma!. This is what happens when cloning goes unrestricted.

Birddog

TheZagPhish
04-03-2007, 09:01 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Pargo has the attitude of a natural leader Pendo will step it up next year. This is Jeremy's team for the next two years IMHO.

I hear you, I really do, but I can't help but be frustrated with his declaring his eligibility for the NBA this year. ;)

No, you're right. Jeremy's got some maturing to do, and further development of consistent clutch play to ice close ones, but yeah - Pargo and Pendo (two very close friends off court) can be the Wonder Twins next year.

CDC84
04-03-2007, 09:29 AM
It is my hope that Pargo and Pendo are co-captains on next year's team.

sonuvazag
04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
I also expect Matt to be heir apparent to Pendo. I know he's not the same tenacious kind of guy, but Matt and Pargo will be the men in 08-09 assuming that which needs assuming.

GonzagaGurl08
04-03-2007, 11:13 AM
I would love to see Pendo and Pargo be co-captains next year. Both guys bring wonderful leadership to the team, on and off the court. Just my two cents. Also, both of these guys are ultimate Zags.

kdoggy
04-03-2007, 01:13 PM
I think Pargo will emerge as the top-flight, all-american caliber player that this team lacked this year. We had some nice ballers, we just lacked the "it" player we have had in the past 7-8 years (dickau, Ronny, and Ammo). You simply need that NBA potential player, surrounded by the types of players we already have. I am not gonna count on Heytlvelt, nor do I think that should be what is expected of him if he does return.

I think Pargo has the opportunity as point guard to lead this team. I am expecting big things next year.

Man, props to Florida. I was super impressed with their talent and teamwork. Ohio State looked awfully tough, but Florida just had guys that would make them pay.

GU69
04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I would love to see Pendo and Pargo be co-captains next year.

I am one more vote for this combination.

Part of me wants it to be Pendo's team, but it is also time for Pargo to be in charge.

Birddog said it:
Jeremy may be the floor general, but Pendo will be the emotional leader

tyra
04-03-2007, 01:41 PM
At the beginning of the very first game this year, the team gathered into a huddle. I found it interesting that it was Jeremy in the middle of the huddle yelling at everyone (encouragement I assumed, but he was definitely yelling). I think he reprised that role several times over the season.

gamagin
04-03-2007, 02:02 PM
I wrote somewhere else I felt Pendo is the de facto leader of this team.

However, after watching FLA-OSU, gotta ask. Did there appear to be a clear leader on that team ? I'm sure the players could name him. But you couldn't seem him.

Point: there were so many stars everyone was a role player. And that is why it seemed to work for them. I don't think Pendo is or wants to be Ammo. I personaly would rather see him shoot and miss than just about anybody.

But the fact is, the winning teams put it in the hands of the players who are open and they shoot. because they are open. because they make more than they miss and because it's the way to make five threats instead of one and it's the way to win.

GU seemed to be playing its best when the open man shot, too, imo and fwiw.

absent that, and what I think, the true leader is not designated here or even on the practice court, but in and during the games.

And here's hoping there are five on the floor for the zags most of the time next year.