PDA

View Full Version : Amazing run by Florida

FuManShoes
04-02-2007, 07:59 PM
To win back-to-back titles in this day and age, when man-children with NBA games are playing the college ball, kids are bolting quicker than ever and there's parity across the nation, is truly impressive. And to win the way Florida did, with such balance and selflessness (albeit with some showboating thrown in by the pony-tailed one), is even more amazing. Up and down that roster are role players who know their role and thrive in it. How clutch has Humphrey been the last two Final Fours? Speights and Richard sorta got eaten alive by Oden, but they did enough to let Horford bide his time, come in late and hit some huge shots. I love Al's game. Amare II. Brewer is as smooth as they come (well, maybe not that dribble, but is spin and reverse and soft jumper and hops and defense are just amazing). Green made up for a rough semifinal with some huge shots.Plus, these guys brought me my first ever pool championship -- my own shining moment. Thanks and congrats, Gators!

RanchZagFan
04-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice post FuMan...agree wholeheartedly.

dawgman1999
04-02-2007, 08:19 PM
FuMan: how cool would it be if Taurean Green, Al Horford, Corey Brewer and Joakim Noah all come back for their senior year next season, and Billy D stays at UF after getting a big pay raise there? Walter Hodge will take over for Lee Humphrey and they get 5 star recruits such as Patrick Patterson and Nick Calathes to fill in the bench, along with Streight. If these guys all come back for 1 more shot, which I know is not likely, the 2008-2009 Florida team could rank among the all time great in history. As much as people ripped Billy D before, I am a big fan of him now. OSU played pretty well tonight, and they were clearly the 2nd best team in the country. But as the night went on, it became an Oden against UF show. What a valiant effort by Oden, but at the end, the best team won. UF clearly is the best team this year, hands down.

RanchZagFan
04-02-2007, 08:22 PM
dawgman, not that it matters since there's about zero chance those guys are coming back, but isn't Green a senior?

CDC84
04-02-2007, 08:27 PM
I always felt that Billy D. was a really good coach, but until recently, a not so good recruiter. Oh, he got players that were highly ranked, but he got players like Anthony Roberson and Matt Walsh that were among the most selfish players college basketball has seen in quite some time.

At some point along this journey, Donovan decided that he had to really start recruiting character as much as ability, and I think that was the key that turned on the ignition. That and hiring Larry Shyatt to clear up the defensive woes. If you think Gonzaga has defensive issues, you should've seen Florida before Shyatt's arrival.

The Gators are truly one of the great offensive teams of the modern era. They just carve up defenses with surgeon like precision. And Corey Brewer was a well deserving Most Outstanding Player....he is just a terrific all around player.

I also feel that Greg Oden, in a losing cause, is deserving of heavy praise. That guy was just dead exhausted. Florida threw every big man they had at him. I think for him to perform at the level he did, and to stay out of foul trouble, was quite an accomplishment. It was easily the best game I've seen him play as a college player.

youreachiteach
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Green is a Jr, HUmphrey and Richard are Srs.

The trio is gone, but this team was amazing. Billy Donovan, Donnie Jones and Larry Schyatt deserve so much credit. Thye built this dynasty.

gamagin
04-02-2007, 09:12 PM
the game in this sense.

I really wanted to see how fla would respond to real pressure and a real gut-check challenge.

But this team (Fla.) bravely and boldly kept up its signature offensive game, the attack, the risk-taking and ultimately, made the big shots at exactly the time they needed them and they, for the most part, went in.

they avoided having to face what OSU faced all night. catch up.

You can credit coaching, planning, practicing, offense and defense, BUT if even a few of those shots had not dropped (like humphrey's from downtown), you would likely be bemoaning the lack of same.

Fla. decided to fire on all cylinders and they did and it worked. It was great to watch if your a Fla fan. Or a basketball fan.

OSU, otoh, easily had a similar number of 2-inch and 3-inch shots, plus ft's that would NOT go in. It became a game of inches at times.

It had to be maddening. It was maddening to watch.

It will haunt them. Getting the ball that close and not getting it in is the height of exasperation. Gu was there against a bunch of teams. indiana included.

So in a game like this, I'd rather be lucky than good. Fla. was both.

It could have gone either way.

The difference in this one, imo, was that Fla. believed it was going to win and OSU was hoping it would win and never really took charge; forced Fla to play its game.

Fla. was so confident that even its lay ins were followed by one and then two putbacks. Suddenly even a bad shot became conversion. Nice.

And believing made it happen. Reacting made it happen. thinking and focusing as one made it happen.

All the chalk talks in the world can't make athletes believe in each other and their mission. But if THEY believe in each other, nothing can stop them.

It was a great lesson. Worth learning, respecting, aiming for, imo.

RebornZag
04-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Nice post gamagin: I think the bottom line just might be: Confidence. Ohio State played a great game, but just too many Freshman, I believe. If that whole team comes back, look out. They have great players as well...When Brewer and Humphrey went up to shoot those 3's you just knew they were going to go in....in just the same way when Adam Morrison went up for a shot you just knew it was going in. And Florida pretty much had seven or eight guys with that kind of confidence. I truly love guard play, and I like to see that when it came down to it, the guards and the three point shot outdid the big man. Oden had a great game but lost. 3 pt field goals. Florida, 10-18. Ohio State, 4-23. Experience definately helps players' confidence. WE must remember that all eight of their players played on that championship team last year. There were no Freshmen. However, I think there were on last years team...:D

RanchZagFan
04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
RBZ, weren't all of UF's key guys sophs and juniors last year?

youreachiteach
04-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Florida plays DEFENSE. Ohio St didnt shoot 15% from 3 because of freshmen. UF can score, but Brewer and company DEFEND.

lothar98zag
04-02-2007, 09:57 PM
I agree that Florida played very good D this year, but IMHO, they played even better O.

sonuvazag
04-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Man Law: Defense wins championships, but let's give offense a try this year.

RebornZag
04-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Florida decided to let Oden have his points (24) and guard the 3. Very smart coaching. I hope Few saw this game. When I mentioned that Ohio State played with 3 Freshman on the court most of the time, I just meant that I think that their youth may have been a factor psychologically....that's all. I wasn't referring to Florida's D. Ohio State missed some uncontested 3's that Florida did not miss. that is true.....