PDA

View Full Version : It's time to move on - next season's outlook

Reborn
06-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Good luck to AD. Thanks for two good years at GU.

It will be good for us fans to move on. I have grown so tired of all the AD threads this spring. I'm glad summer is here and he is gone. I usually really enjoy Summers here on the board with all the talk about next years team, the new recruits, and future possibilities. It's just fun keeping up with what goes on in recruiting and this is the best time for that.

I think moving on helps Austin with what his hopes and expectations are. I'm glad the date to decide is this early so now we can focus on the next team without him. I think the Zags will be good without him. The thing we have going for us is that Zag Spirit. It's that Gonzaga name on the front of the jersey and not the individual's name on the back that makes the Zags what we are. I am so very excited about the team next year. There are going to be so many new faces. Incredible. We will be young be we will be fighters. There is plenty of talent in this new group, and I bet they are all pretty excited by the news of AD leaving. Someone has a chance to step into that #4 position. The fact that so many of the foreign students are playing for their countries this summer will not help them or the Zags. For that reason I think Poling will move into the starting lineup. I believe Harris and Olynick will be great players but Freshmen do not do great at GU. I think because of how complicated the system in. Who knows. Few may have to change that tradition if Harris and Olynick are as good as I hear they are. I am also really excited to now hear about Bol. If he makes it here, he could be a big surprise too. And who knows it could be Will Foster who steps up. If we are able to score loads of points in the other 4 positions then I could see him playing more. He's a great defender and rebounder. I'm a llitle confused as to who will be the new #4 player. But that will make it exciting now. We Wizzards with our magical balls will have fun making our predictions I am sure.

I am pumped about next season now. I think something good is going to come from this. Waiting to see what it is is the fun part.

CDC84
06-15-2009, 02:17 PM
First off, congratulations to Austin Daye on his decision to enter the NBA draft. I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors. The one thing all of us know for sure is that he will get picked, and anytime a GU player gets drafted, it helps sell the program to future recruits.

That being said, it’s time to move on.

Austin’s departure means a number of things. The first thing is that Matt Bouldin’s responsibilities are only going to increase. He really needs to experience a level of growth in his playing like he experienced between his sophomore and junior years. He will be the guy on next year’s team that opponents will be looking to stop. I know that Matt is going to be working very hard this summer, both at GU and at various camps, to learn how to better deal with opposing guards along the lines of Antonio Anderson who are as tall as he is and who can take away some of his size advantages.

Austin’s departure should make things a bit easier for the staff as far as the rotation is concerned. The Zags should be able to put out a 10 man rotation where every starter has a natural backup. Obviously, some players can play multiple positions.

I think we could very well see a Goodson, Bouldin, Gray, Harris and Sacre lineup to start the season. Vilarino is a natural backup for Meech. Poling will either start are most certainly be the first big coming off the bench.

Beyond that, I would love to be a fly on the wall at GU practices in October. There is going to be some intense competition for playing time at the 2 and 3 between Gibbs, Arop, Gray and Kong. What should also be interesting is the competition between Dower and Foster to be the 4th big man in the rotation. The other factor is the recent emergence of Kelly Olynyk. Kelly could really use some weight, but if he keeps playing like he’s been playing internationally, he’s going to be a factor as well. He has an extremely bright future.

I think Gray and Kong could be the two most important guys on the team next year. One of those two guys has got to step up and provide some relief for Matt. Sacre needs to be healthy and stay healthy so that GU will have a rock solid 5 man to allow mobile bigs like Poling, Harris and Dower to take advantage of matchups.

This team won’t be as talented as they would be if they had Daye, but I think we are going to see a team that plays very hard. I am also expecting a team that shows more toughness than last year’s bunch. The player who I am most excited to see next season is Meech Goodson. I think he has something special that could really inspire his teammates to compete at a whole new level.

spudzag
06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I also wish AD well in his new pursuit and thank him for his contribution over the last two years.

Moving the discussion to other subjects and focusing on the future will be pleasant for me too. On a positive note the issue of the scholarship roles and the debate that would likely follow will be avoided. While it will be a rebuilding year of sorts there is talent upon talent at very position. We need to be really thankful about the job that Fewie and staff have done.

It will be great to hear the stories of how this yung group comes together as a team while battling for playing time will be facinating stuff. We have a lot to look forward to.

bballbeachbum
06-15-2009, 02:29 PM
One way or the other, good to move on now that it's done. Of course good luck to Austin!

Gonzaga spirit, good one Reborn...nice to have it, feel it, share it!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

ExtremeJim
06-15-2009, 02:46 PM
With Josh Heytvelt coming up in glowing reports from league insiders, we can still have threads about whether GU will have two first-round picks in this draft. Or whether all four Zags will be drafted somewhere.

If you think the endless draft speculation threads are over, think again. They'll be over when the draft itself is over.

At which time speculation about the 2010 draft will commence.

Baldwinzag
06-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Speaking of next season, an interesting tidbit regarding Olynyk was found in Katz's recent article about Daye's departure. When Andy questioned whom might be Daye's potential replacement, Coach Few had this to say:

Few said he expects a collection of players, including small forward Kelly Olynyk out of Canada to spell some of Daye's minutes and frontcourt scoring.

It appears the Coaching staff has noticed Kelly's recent emergence as well. :)

Also, Fwiw, Manny mentioned via Facebook his right knee has been causing him some serious discomfort since the Tourney ended, but he's been resting/icing it as much as possible before his next Tournament. He said he'd be fine and not to worry.

CDC84
06-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Draft speculation and Zags NBA talk will continue for sure, and I may even chime in here and there, but some of us would like to start thinking about next year's Gonzaga team. For some of us, that's a more interesting topic. Daye's departure really clears up some things when it comes to assessing next year's team.

lothar98zag
06-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Speaking of next season, an interesting tidbit regarding Olynyk was found in Katz's recent article about Daye's departure. When Andy questioned whom might be Daye's potential replacement, Coach Few had this to say:

It appears the Coaching staff has noticed Kelly's recent emergence as well. :)

Also, Fwiw, Manny mentioned via Facebook his right knee has been causing him some serious discomfort since the Tourney ended, but he's been resting/icing it as much as possible before his next Tournament. He said he'd be fine and not to worry.
wonder how long before Few & Co "shut down" hoops related FB updates by him & the other freshmen to be...

seasontixholder
06-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Season outlook? It will boil down to one goal: win the conference tournament. Strong chance that it will be a must in order to advance.

jim77
06-16-2009, 01:24 AM
This will be an interesting year. All eyes will be on Matt but, I think Meech is gonna have a big year. I think Meech should be the starting point and Matt at the SG. Meech's speed is as good as it gets...and hopefully he's out draining 3 's this summer. We have a lot of talent comig in but not a lot of big game experience. We again will be a team that gets scoring from lots of guys. This is gonna be a fun year.....now I need to pony up for Maui!