Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Pretty clear where Austin's dad stands

“We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • sullyzag66
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

From the article:
    "The most important thing for him is to get in the league so he can start getting better," said Daye. "If he's in the NBA, he'll have 24 hours to work on his strength as opposed to trying to do school and basketball. It's difficult.

"He'd be more advanced by making the leap than he would be going back to school. People have the other argument. I think it's shown over time that the guys that have gone out early haven't been hurt by it."
    Austin echoed these comments in his interview with The Slipper Still Fits.

Is there any doubt? Pretty clear where Austin stands, as well.

Comment

• snebzag
      Kennel Club
      • Mar 2008

Thanks FuMan,
      I am surprised by Dad. I always thought he would steer him to get better and bigger before entering.. This article is like the last straw. It is done. He is so gone you can't even see remains of wagon tracks. I wish him well. Just hope he doesn't forget his springboard.

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

this was a really good

article, imo. Lots of inside jockeying and positioning.

It's clear where dad's thinking is. It's not at all clear whether they are deciding intelligently where Austin is in his career, imo. Dad is saying school and other obligations are getting in his basketball way.

However, there is enough evidence to suggest that AD needs more strength and toughness if he hopes to make a career of the bigs. So which choice will afford him the fastest track ?

And the gamble boils down to his getting a high enough draft number to get someone else to train, discipline, strengthen & prep him for a career.

In the midst of all this is the fact that a number of Euro pros are coming back disillusioned (it appears) and several clubs are clearly not interested in as many developing athletes in their programs as before. So where does AD land in this mix ?

To me, the squeeze is on AD from both directions. And the gamble is he gets in a program that will fast track his development, which is what dad is promoting and counting on.

My feeling is he is on that track, at GU and in the process, he will be among friends, nurture his game and his life, and get an education.

Time is on his side.

But depending on a lot of luck, which appears to be the family Daye's plan A, he could be spending his time advancing his maturity, life and game in a better environment in the bigs.

Or he might just wind up getting a dose of reality and possible discouragement unless the pro seas part and make room for him in a time when that divide is getting narrower by the minute because of the economic realities throughout the basketball world.

I hope I'm wrong and he lands in a career-advancing place.

But as this story reads, I'm thinking more and more the best place to advance his career for Austin is on Boone Avenue, plying his trade, building his strength and education and, perhaps most importantly, maturing in a safe, tolerant place where he can build that future he and his dad dream about at the next level.

Go TEAM Zags !
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Why would anyone think things are changed because his dad spouts off to a writer? I do think Austin will leave (for the umpteeth time) but he won't be welcomed or denied by anything his dad says. He still has an upward climb to convince people he can play as he is right now. If he'll make the climb is unknown. What IS known is that pops is feathering his bed.

With GU appearing a distant 2nd in the sweeps, I wonder if Austin will come back if he chooses to bail on the draft. College ..if you believe his dad's words might be getting in his way. Since GU is the college in question, I supose we might be......sigh......gee I feel so bad!! lol

Anyway, it's time to for Austin to make some choices...or maybe it's the GM's time to make choices. We'll see come Monday. This is like giving birth..it's tough but it gets over. Hope it's soon as it sounds like some of the board members are sweating it out. Please don't. Austin's choices are clear. Ours should be too. This one will be in the books in 48 hours. We hope the kid makes the right choice.
          Last edited by MDABE80; 06-13-2009, 11:14 PM. Reason: mmmmm

Comment

• Bulldoggie
            Redshirt
            • Feb 2007

Austin

I've felt all along that if Austin were to come back to Gonzaga it would be at the urging of his Dad. Based on the linked interview that isn't going to happen.

What is kind of intriguing to me is why the Dayes lowered their standards? First the goal was to be a Lottery pick, then top 20 and now it appears to be a first round pick or maybe even beyond into the second round. Any thoughts? I really feel that Jeremy's experience last year has a lot to do with their decision. I say "their" because I feel it is a shared decision as opposed to Austin's.

In my humble opinion Austin's declaring may be a blessing in disguise. Sure we will lose a hell of a ball player but interms of current player development and morale it mat be a good thing.

Good luck Austin. I'll be rooting for you.

Bulldoggie

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2008

"The most important thing for him is to get in the league so he can start getting better," said Daye. "If he's in the NBA, he'll have 24 hours to work on his strength as opposed to trying to do school and basketball. It's difficult."
              I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm not buying that. Even with school, there's plenty of time to hit the gym. You just gotta manage your time, set out a schedule, and stick to it. I would imagine that it's easier to find time to work out if you're in the NBA and atheltics is your full-time job, but it's definitely possibly to 'work on your strength' while in school. Blake Griffin has been in college for the past two years, and he looks plenty strong to me.

With all that being said, I'd still make the jump to the League if I were Austin. Being a first round draft pick is too much to pass up. You never know what might hapen, and you gotta take the opportunity while you have it.

Good luck, Austin! I look forward to buying your jersey!
              What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2008

Pretty good article about the finances of staying in school.

What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• krozman
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2008

Look at it this way. If Austin really wants to be in the NBA right now, and he's already made up his mind (and obviously it's not official), then dad is just being a good advocate for his son, which is what a dad should be. Sometimes you have to let your kids make up their own mind and stand by them after its made, even if you would have preferred a different decision. To us Dad may be steering him to the NBA, but it could actually be the exact opposite.
                  Krozman
                  GU student 1996-2000
                  Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• FuManShoes
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I'm going out on a limb here, but I just don't think Austin likes college/GU/Spokane as much as many of us expect him to, or some past Zags in a somewhat similar position have. I believe Ronny's situation was closest, as he was projected as a mid-to-late first round pick as a junior, correct? (By comparison, Jeremy had no guarantee of getting drafted last year; Adam was a lottery pick as a junior and thus there was no real debate he was gone, though I can't recall his place in mock drafts as a sophomore.) Ronny came back because he made it quite clear that he loved college. Austin has never made such statements and in fact, in reading these articles, it seems college is more or less plan B. I don't begrudge the young man that. For god's sake how many millions of students transfer each and every year because they just don't click with their school or the location? In Austin's case his transfer options are a lot more attractive than moving home with the folks, and even that is a plumb option. I understand those who believe Austin is best served returning to school for the education and chance to develop in a low-pressure environment, but frankly the end of the bench on an NBA team with a professional trainer and coaching staff at his disposal may be the safer, less intense play than being expected to bulk up, keep up the grades and be the Man at GU next year. See what I mean?
                    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

i wish he was coming back...

i wish Micah was coming back for another year........

Comment

• mainer6
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Mar 2009

In order for Austin to move up in the draft, he would have to get stronger during his Jr year. I think Austin knows how difficult that is and I don't think he would get any stronger. Then, instead of folks saying "Austin needs to hit the weight room," they will be saying "Austin is incapable of getting bigger and stronger." That would hurt his draft status. So, moving on is the better option.
                        Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

Comment

• MickMick
                          Zag for Life
                          • Apr 2007

I wish Austin the best of luck in his professional career. Thanks for choosing Gonzaga Austin. Thanks to your father for supporting Gonzaga as well.
                          I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• ZagDaddy
                            Kennel Club Material
                            • Feb 2007

The most important thing for him is to get in the league so he can start getting better," said Daye. "If he's in the NBA, he'll have 24 hours to work on his strength as opposed to trying to do school and basketball. It's difficult.
                            I wish Austin the best whatever he may decide. He has been quite gracious towards GU in the interviews I've read. At the same time it's been pretty apparent to me that he was very unlikely to return.

What I haven't heard from Austin or his father here is any mention of the value of an education. I'm not saying that they don't, but education does not seem to me to be at the forefront of their thoughts. College sports is supposed to be about student athletes and not merely the NBA/NFL/MLB development league. I know that ideal may be starry eyed in today's world but IMO it's still an ideal to uphold.

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

Daye's closest most trusted basketball/career advisor (his dad, as it should be) just busted any slim hopes we may have had for him coming back to school. From everything I have read, the one, single, only, thing that could cause Daye to come back to school is failure to make the draft's first round. He will make the first round, so he's gone - we need to move on. Any more discussion/speculation on this point is just waisted computer key strokes!

Comment

Working...
                              X