PDA

View Full Version : Alums/non-alum GU Basketball fans

bballbeachbum
06-12-2009, 03:30 PM
if you would please, if you're curious too

1. Alums--what's your take on your basketball team's reach? eliciting such a passionate following outside of your university? and it is passionate :)

2. non-alums--why are you here and following GU basketball? I'll start this one.

In a nutshell, Coach Few is my idol. It didn't start that way--it started vs. Stanford in Rd. 2 10 years ago, me a Cal alum and no-likey Stanford, and passionately rooting for Gonzaga, and then again and more vs. Florida!!!--but how he took this baby and ran with it has just been a total joy to behold. I love it, and how he does it, and agree with all sincerity those who post how lucky we are to have him. My idol.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Jakester425
06-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I lived in Spokane for 10 years. I was 8 years old when my Dad got me into Zags basketball. That was way back in '95...yeah I'm only 22. Been a die hard fan ever since.

zagdad
06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Our son is a Gonzaga alum and we got very interested in the team when he attended Gonzaga. We are avid fans of Gonzaga now. We think Coach Few is great and Gonzaga is lucky to have him. He is down to earth and treats his players like they are family. He is a family guy and we like that.

GoZags
06-12-2009, 05:52 PM
I got hooked and have known every score (of every game) since Nov. '73 -- when the basketball season started my freshman year at Gonzaga.

There've been ups and downs -- and at no time could I have ever dreamed that the Zags would be as successful as they've been. I recall with pride the first NIT -- the first Dance -- the first win in the Dance.

Who'd have thought that I'd go to MSG to see the Zags v Duke -- or Washington DC to play Maryland in the BB and T -- or that the Zags would make the Dance 11 straight years -- or the 5 (and counting) Sweet 16's.

It's been a great ride -- and I still believe the best is yet to come. GoZags

isongd
06-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Adam Morrison, as a kid who was just diagnosed with diabetes my Dr turned me to him showing me that things would be fine, this was his sophomore year with Ronny and ever since Ive been in love with GU basketball.

RenoZag
06-12-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm an alum (1979). College hoops has always been my favorite seasonal sport. Having my alma mater mentioned so frequently during the season has been a source of pride, fun, anguish, excitement, and recognition. Some truly memorable games played in the national spotlight have made being a GU fan and GU grad a pretty cool circumstance. . .

GU hoops get me through the winter; once the season starts, those two games a week provide roughly four hours escape from the hassles of real life-- work, finances, retirement worries, my daughter's driving lessons-- life its ownself, to borrow Dan Jenkins' phrase. I'm an unabashed fan of Gonzaga basketball even though I rely largely on TV to stay in touch.

When I have been fortunate enough to see GU play in person, I've been impressed with the size of the contingent GU attracts. I have also been fortunate to make some terrific acquaintances along the way.

FieldHouseFishHouse
06-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Alum (07). I was on campus for Tony Skinner's biffed dunk and redeeming block (Cinncinatti), Blake Stepp's double overtime brick (Arizona), and the Nevada fiasco . I was there when Bobby Knight took Mark Few to school, when we rode JP and Ammo to the round of 16 (IMO one of the best Zags teams) and the subsequent melt down against UCLA. I was there for some dark years: first round misses against Indiana and Davidson (Steph Curry, Kirk Snyder, Luke Walton and Darren Collison haunt my nightmares). I stepped off campus for last season and witnessed (for me) the most important shot in Zag's history from my Seattle apartment: running banker by Meech Goodson. Stepp and Goodson bookend my Zags memories with running, buzzer beating bankshots.
Also got to play a little pick-up ball with some Zags. Heytvelt and Theo Davis graced the field house with their presences when they were (err) temporarily excused from the team. Also got to experience the skills of Bouldin, Foster, Pargo, Gray, Mallon and Larry G up close. Its a special experience to root for guys that you also had the opportunity to compete with and against.
I follow the Zags all year long, but the NCAA tournament is truly a special event in American sports, and the Zags bring it every year. Some of the best days of my life: Cinncinatti, Valparaiso, Winthrop, Xavier, Indiana, Akron and Western Kentucky. Hope to add few to this list next year.

hoopster777
06-13-2009, 07:18 AM
The great thing about Gonzaga is its fan base are mostly people without connections to the university, Gonzaga is simply the best show in town in a sleepy city without any other significant sports teams. It just so happens that the show is pretty damn good.

stevet75
06-13-2009, 07:50 AM
I have lived in Spokane a couple of times, and except for the weather enjoyed it. The first time I lived there I was very young, and my dad used to take me to basketball games at GU. That was in the late 50's and early 60's.
That got me interested, then when I moved to Spokane for a job, in the late 70's I lived within walking distance of GU, and used to wander over to the kennel for games.

john montana
06-13-2009, 08:44 AM
I grew up in Whitefish, MT and used to attend the Stockton camps at GU. Just always liked the school and we used to follow them and cheer for them when they played anyone but the Grizzlies. As much as it is a regional fandom for me, there is also a signifigant style factor. In short, I like the way Few's teams play. That certainly helps!

75Zag
06-13-2009, 01:02 PM
When the lovely Mrs'75 and I were freshmen at GU in the fall of 1971, Bulldog basketball was (a) free to students, (b) easy to get tickets for, (c) a place to get away from dorm rooms and obnoxious roommates, and (d) such a low quality of play that we could sit in a quiet corner of the upper bleachers and spend the time flirting and looking deeply into each other's eyes as a pleasant alternative to watching GU get shelled game after game.

Big and wonderful changes to the GU program and campus over these past 38 years, but the basketball program is still very exciting and lots of fun (as is the lovely Mrs.'75)!

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

OZZag
06-14-2009, 08:31 PM
You can't get to much further from GU than me. I've never been to Spokane, or actually seen a Zags game (except the odd highlight here or there). As some of you know I am passionate about Canadian basketball and my interest in GU started when PMAC committed to the Zags, and I started following his college career. Further to that when Rob Sacre (I know people who know him) signed up I started following the team even more closely. Joining this board was only natural and I enjoy this board with its passion and humour.

Now with a bevy of Canadians on board and perhaps more in the future. I am most likely the biggest GU fan "down under".I get jealous of the fact that I can't see any games, but as a stats nut I can at least follow them from afar.

I look forward to see (LOL) the day when all four Canadian Zags are on the floor at the same time. That being said I think that every player who puts on a Zags jersey is special or he wouldn't have been selected to play for them in the first place.

GO ZAGS!

gu03alum
06-15-2009, 07:57 AM
I wasn't terribly interested in Gonzaga or the basketball team until my senior year of high school. I had practiced there with my high school basketball team and we had been given tickets to watch a few of their games, but I had always wanted to go to University of Washington. During my senior year, my dad took me to a game between Gonzaga and UW at the arena. UW had a good team that year with Todd McCullough and I was pretty excited to see them play. Gonzaga played great. The energy from the student section really got me pumped up. I became a big fan after that game. I had already applied and gotten into Gonzaga (safety school) and decided that day that I wanted to go to Gonzaga. I have been a big fan of Gonzaga basketball ever since.

77Zag
06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
I got hooked and have known every score (of every game) since Nov. '73 -- when the basketball season started my freshman year at Gonzaga.

There've been ups and downs -- and at no time could I have ever dreamed that the Zags would be as successful as they've been. I recall with pride the first NIT -- the first Dance -- the first win in the Dance.

Who'd have thought that I'd go to MSG to see the Zags v Duke -- or Washington DC to play Maryland in the BB and T -- or that the Zags would make the Dance 11 straight years -- or the 5 (and counting) Sweet 16's.

It's been a great ride -- and I still believe the best is yet to come. GoZags

GoZags and I were class buds --
To sum it all up, I NEVER would have believed the Zags to be a powerhouse in NCAA hoops.

Years have passed since my journey through GU -- when I graduated, most all had never heard of the small Jesuit school in Spokane. Usually a double take on the name. Now when you mention Gonzaga, the first thing is a smile and "wow, really - they have a great basketball program and it's a hell of a school".

Now I'm the proudest Zag ever -- two sons currently on a trek through GU. Guess I'm also becoming one of the poorest Zags ever also. It's only money, you can make more money. ;)

Go Zags -- forever!

titopoet
06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Not an Alum, but part of the community as my wife is a professor there, and many of my close friends teach there. Another Prof is the Godfather of my child. I have even filled in teaching after my wife gave birth to our child.

cjm720
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
GU grad class of 1995; MBA class of 2001.

I was always a big college basketball fan and always gravitated towards the smaller schools that fared well such as LMU and UNLV. Upon arrival in Spokane in the fall of 1991 I used to run hoops whenever I could down at the Martin Centre and invariably half the team was down there playing pick up games and working on drills. (My two best highlights were playing in a pick-up game John Stockton and stealing the ball from John Kinloch, different games!). I became a big fan and went to every GU game (save for a year in Florence, 1993-1994 season) and even worked at The Kennel for a work-study job. (One job I was in charge of making sure no one walked down the baseline during the game and time-outs - unknowingly, I yelled at this assistant, Don Monson, not to walk that way...LOL). My senior year was capped off by our first Big Dance ever...John Riley v. Joe Smith of Maryland.

It's been an unbelievable run since and to think we're only getting better and better. Hats off to Fitzgerald, Monson, and Few! And thankfully this board exists!

Go Zags!!!

NontradZag
06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
I was a Dan Dickau fan from his days at THE DUB. When he transferred to GU, I became a fan. I became fanatic when Casey Calvary almost stepped on me at Hoopfest. He was walking down the street, and I was sitting with my back against a building and my legs sticking straight out onto the sidewalk. As he stepped over my legs, I remember thinking "oh good lord...he is not a mortal, he is a machine." Just a freakin' stud walking down the sidewalk.

From there, the love affair grew. JP and his soft hands. GU and AZ in the NCAA heartstopper. Blake and his 40 ft bombs. Morrison and the 'stache'.

I graduated from GU in 2007, and now I am setting my sights on the long-term goal of obtaining season tickets. Go Bulldogs!

CodeCobalt
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
First, I am not an alumni of GU.

I grew up in the area and my granny had worked for GU most of her life. I have a few uncles and aunts who are all alumni and I had every intention since being a little kid on going there or WSU, as my mother worked there. My dad also growing up with his mother working at GU and actually playing baseball with John Stockton as a kid, was a huge fan of GU and I just kinda grew into it.

When I was about 12 or so moved away, haven't been back since. Considered going to GU but I was sick of moving and wanted to settle down in an area with friends. I've loved GU for long as can remember, and always will. It is a great school, all around.