PDA

View Full Version : battle in seattle

cheerleader
06-12-2009, 02:29 PM
heard it was set for Dec. 12th - any idea on who our opponent is?

lothar98zag
06-12-2009, 02:42 PM
:link:

75Zag
06-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Recall this earlier thread with schedule speculation:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=20582

That thread suggested Arizona as possible BIS opponent, but I think Arizona will be in Maui and in any event the Arizona tentative schedule looks pretty full already. For any of you "insiders" with more current information I would like to hear about it.

Augustana on December 9th was mentioned after the above thread was posted. Assuming the Duke game is on the 19th in NYC as previously speculated, looks like BIS will probably need to be Saturday December 12, but the BIS website is silent.

BC1210is
06-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Opponent for the Battle in Seattle will be announced on Thursday, June 25th at Hoopfest in Spokane.

VaBeachZAG
06-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Regarding speculation about a possible BIS with Arizona, either the Wildcates come to Washington (BIS, Arena, or Kennel), or we should be done with them. We played them last season in Phoenix, and also in Tucson in DDD's junior year. Either we get a return match, or forget about them! It's way past time to get a little respect from the Wildcates (respect in the form of action, not just words).

BobZag
06-13-2009, 10:13 AM
From what I've heard, do not expect a team the caliber of past years. With the three Maui teams, Duke, Sparty, Illinois, Oklahoma, Memphis, etc. on board, Few is trying to give this young team a chance.

Kiddwell
06-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Whatta 'bout Oregon State? Lots of Northwest interest (so big crowd). Plus, OSU is on the upswing. Plus, their coach is the President's brother-in-law.

The Zags' status plus the Presidential connection would give good TV appeal too.

:]

RenoZag
06-13-2009, 08:17 PM
We can always hope it's the Fuskies. That would be a good game.

And people in Hell want ice water.

75Zag
06-15-2009, 04:40 PM
BIS is my family's opportunity to spend weekend in Seattle together and watch GU basketball together. Hope they don't dial down the level of competition too far. I am not going to spend a couple grand to haul my extended family to Seattle to watch GU play the Weak Sisters of Mercy.

There are a couple rumors about one of the service academys playing in the BIS? Air Force? Would probably draw pretty well between alumni of both programs. Please regard this as an unsubstantiated rumor from the mind of a maniac.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

BobZag
06-15-2009, 05:01 PM
The Zags do play the Falcons, but not sure if it's the BiS. Could be, just not sure.

Nevtelen
06-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I would definitely be disapointed if the level of the opposing team was dialed back too far. I don't mind playing a mid-major instead of a high-major, but it should be a serous, strong mid if that happens (like Nevada a few years ago). IMO Air Force would be a big step down and I'm not sure I'd pay BiS prices to go to that game. I have to believe that good mid-majors that are having problems finding games would play GU on a (sort of) neutral court. Heck, even a team that wouldn't be all that strong but that has a history with GU like Wyoming would be a better choice.

BobZag
06-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Go to the last post in the following thread--

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=20551&highlight=Air+Force

hoopster777
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Go to the last post in the following thread--

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=20551&highlight=Air+Force

Well thats very disappointing, the BIS is usually Gonzaga's game to showcase itself on national tv at a time that most of the nation can tune in. Nobody is going to care to watch (I highly doubt CBS would even feature it) Gonzaga destroy Air Force. If this was the Air Force team when Bzedlik was there, it would be different. This is a team that failed to win a game in the Mountain West last season, and lost its top 3 scorers. If this is the best Gonzaga can bring to Seattle, something is wrong.

GoZags
06-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Air Force gave up a home game to play the Washington Huskies at Seahawks Stadium (opener for the '05 football season -- and Ty Willingham's first game as Husky coach). That game turned out poorly for UDub -- so hopefully THAT trend won't continue if Air Force is indeed the BiS opponent.

One things for sure -- a pre-game flyover at the Key wouldn't be nearly as specatular as it was at Seahawks Stadium.

hoopster777
06-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Its too bad they couldn't lure a program like Xavier to the BiS.....though adding another top 15 opponent on the schedule probably isn't favorable, that is a program that seems to be similar to Gonzaga's, and would generate a lot of interest. Plus the game against them in the tournament a few years back was fantastic.

GoZags
06-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Well thats very disappointing, the BIS is usually Gonzaga's game to showcase itself on national tv at a time that most of the nation can tune in. Nobody is going to care to watch (I highly doubt CBS would even feature it) Gonzaga destroy Air Force. If this was the Air Force team when Bzedlik was there, it would be different. This is a team that failed to win a game in the Mountain West last season, and lost its top 3 scorers. If this is the best Gonzaga can bring to Seattle, something is wrong.

While it isn't exactly #2 UConn or #3 Mizzou, it's certainly better than the Battle in Seattle matchup against UMass.

Also -- you may have missed Bob's earlier post vis a vis the rationalie (i.e. the already grueling OOC schedule with a very young, very new Zag squad).

BobZag
06-15-2009, 05:55 PM
If, indeed, AFA is the BiS foe, I can understand it. Like I said in another thread, these young Zags will be facing...

Memphis at Memphis
Illinois in Illinois
Mich. State at Mich. State
Duke in MSG
Oklahoma in Spokane Arena
Three quality Maui teams in three days
WSU in K2, a regional rivalry

...and there might be another we don't know about, and all with a very young team that just lost Heytvelt, Pargo, Downs, Daye, Ira...

I can understand AFA in the BiS.

75Zag
06-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks for reminders Bob. Looks like AFA is a likely BIS opponent, but whatever.

Not to be a negative Norm, but looking at Bob's list of OOC opposition for GU and in light of the tremendous turnover at GU, it is certainly possible that the inexperienced and rebuilding GU could go 1-8 or even (God Forbid) 0-9 against the listed teams including the Maui event. Hope not obviously, but from a scheduling standpoint, I guess I agree that playing a few cupcakes to get a few wins before the WCC is a good idea. It will be unfortunate from my standpoint if they need to schedule a cupcake in the BIS, but if it helps guide the team toward success in the WCC and NCAA tournament, go to it.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

hoopster777
06-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks for reminders Bob. Looks like AFA is a likely BIS opponent, but whatever.

Not to be a negative Norm, but looking at Bob's list of OOC opposition for GU and in light of the tremendous turnover at GU, it is certainly possible that the inexperienced and rebuilding GU could go 1-8 or even (God Forbid) 0-9 against the listed teams including the Maui event. Hope not obviously, but from a scheduling standpoint, I guess I agree that playing a few cupcakes to get a few wins before the WCC is a good idea. It will be unfortunate from my standpoint if they need to schedule a cupcake in the BIS, but if it helps guide the team toward success in the WCC and NCAA tournament, go to it.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

We should win at least one, if not two games in Maui. Colorado and Chaminade will be wins (if we face either of those teams). Arizona is in nearly the same situation as us. And the rest of those teams are all very beatable, although Maryland could be VERY good if they get Stephenson.

FuManShoes
06-15-2009, 06:20 PM
with dialing the BIS back out of consideration of this young team is that they've already barnstormed and played top teams by the time the BIS rolls around. In my mind all this lame match-up does is penalize local fans who rarely get to see the Zags play a vaunted opponent in person. Sure, I've been disappointed the last few years in the team's inability to win the BIS and understand the fatigue factor has taken it's toll, but I'd still rather spend my money on a premier match-up than this.

BobZag
06-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Understood, Fu. I think the marquee matchups continue again after this year. Some heavy-hitters are lined up for 2010 and beyond.

CDC84
06-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Its too bad they couldn't lure a program like Xavier to the BiS

Xavier wouldn't take much luring to do a genuine home and home series.

229SintoZag
06-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Xavier wouldn't take much luring to do a genuine home and home series.

Then what's the problem? Pardon my french, but what's the (bleeping) problem? If true CDC, this makes the Bakersfield and Augustana games all the more unconscionable. Since I will be ponying up for both of these games as a season ticket holder, I really, really hope you are wrong CDC (though I kind of doubt it, given your track record on this board).

Fu also has a good point. At least for most past years, the BIS had decent opposition. Even Nevada was good the year we played them. So now we are at the point where our away schedule is so daunting that we are even watering down the BIS opposition to compensate, in addition to making the home K2 ooc schedule a joke?

Something's gotta change here.

lothar98zag
06-16-2009, 11:35 AM
If something needs dailing down, why not dail down the games outside the PNW?

Oh that's right, GU isn't penalized when they dial down home (or almost home) games. They still max out the $, so why worry about it...

cjm720
06-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Memphis at Memphis - 5000 miles RT
Illinois in Illinois - 5000
Mich. State at Mich. State - 4750
Duke in MSG - 6000
Oklahoma in Spokane Arena -0
Three quality Maui teams in three days - 6000
WSU in K2, a regional rivalry - 0
BIS - 560

27,310 miles to travel for these OOC games. I wonder what our record max is for a given year?

UberZagFan
06-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Uber is going to the BIS regardless of the opponent but he's more upset with the date. 12/12 is too early. The BIS is a game that should be played on break. If they have two or three games at home during the break with a half empty student section, then that's two or three too many.

229SintoZag
06-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Memphis at Memphis - 5000 miles RT
Illinois in Illinois - 5000
Mich. State at Mich. State - 4750
Duke in MSG - 6000
Oklahoma in Spokane Arena -0
Three quality Maui teams in three days - 6000
WSU in K2, a regional rivalry - 0
BIS - 560

27,310 miles to travel for these OOC games. I wonder what our record max is for a given year?

Correction: the game in Spokane arena is 2.1 miles from K2, per google maps.

Let us never, ever, ever lose sight of the fact that games at the Spokane Arena are miles from campus, and never suggest that the distance from campus to games in the arena is "0."