PDA

View Full Version : Four Bulldogs Selected In Major League Baseball Draft

ZagNative
06-11-2009, 12:18 PM
From gozags.com (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/061009aab.html) today:

Four Bulldogs Selected In Major League Baseball Draft
Tyson Van Winkle, Steven Ames, Matt Fields and Ryan Wiegand all got drafted by an MLB club Wednesday

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga University had four players selected in the 2009 Major League Baseball Amateur draft Wednesday. Tyson Van Winkle was selected in the 10th round by the Arizona Diamondbacks, Steven Ames was taken in the 17th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers, Matt Fields went in the 22nd round to the Toronto Blue Jays and Ryan Wiegand was taken in the 25th round by the Tampa Bay Rays.

The four players drafted is the most for the Zags since the 2003 team saw five players taken in the draft. A total of 55 Bulldogs have now been drafted including 27 players who have been drafted during head coach Mark Machtolf’s 19-year tenure at Gonzaga.

“We are very proud to have four players selected in the draft,” said Machtolf. “Tyson, Matt, Steven and Ryan each played huge roles in the team’s success this year, earning a WCC Championship and a trip to the NCAA Tournament. We are very excited for each one of those guys and the opportunities that lie in front of them. Matt and Ryan will now get a chance to play at the next level while both Tyson and Steven each have a couple options in front of them.”

Proudzagmom
06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
This is so exciting! Way to go.

ZagNative
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
I was hoping someone would leap in and explain the meaning of "Tyson and Steven each have a couple options in front of them" and spare me the embarrassment of revealing my lack of baseball knowledge that would be apparent in asking what that means .... Anyone know the choices open to them? Is returning to school in hopes of moving up in next year's draft an option?

sittingon50
06-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I assume it's because they are Jrs. If they don't like the $ that is offered, they have the option of coming back & playing their Sr. years.

An underclassman typically has more leverage in contract negotiations because he can always just say no thanks & go back to school. However (as in basketball) there is always the risk of then getting injured. Or, you could have a really crappy Sr. year and slide down the draft. And once a player uses up his eligibility he has pretty much used up his leverage.