PDA

View Full Version : Rob Sacre and Bol Kong Invited to try out for Canada Senior Men's Team

ZagNative
06-11-2009, 08:51 AM
From SIRC (http://www.sirc.ca/news_view.cfm?id=28772&search=&show=&month=&year=&search_where=):

Press Releases
Press Release Service

CANADIAN SENIOR MEN’S NATIONAL BASKETBALL TEAM BEGINS QUEST FOR THE WORLDS

(Toronto, Ontario) Canada Basketball unveiled the 2009 program for the Senior Men’s National Team (SMNT) today, including the training/tryout schedule, summer competitions and the roster/staff for the first phase of the program. After the launch in 2008, the “ROAD WARRIORS” return for an intense three-phase season that will see the team compete against seven national teams and various club teams in Spain, Italy and Puerto Rico, all in preparation for the FIBA Americas Championships for Men August 26- September 6 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

“Our ultimate objective for the Senior Men’s Team this summer is to qualify for the FIBA World Championships in 2010 and the journey begins next week," said Maurizio Gherardini, Managing Director of the SMNT. “We have put together a rigorous three-month training and competition schedule that we believe will help us achieve this goal.”

The SMNT summer season begins with a young men’s development camp. As part of Canada Basketball’s long range strategy, the new phase is dedicated to identifying and developing top young Canadian prospects that are currently playing professionally or in the NCAA. The young prospects camp will take place June 15-22 at Air Canada Centre, followed by exhibition games in Spain.

2009 SENIOR MEN'S NATIONAL TEAM – JUNE TRAINING CAMP ROSTER

# Name Position Height Hometown School / Club (2008/09)

1 Ryan Bell Guard 6'5 Ottawa, ON Schalke (Germany)
2 David Collins Centre 7'0 Toronto, ON Bradley University(NCAA)
3 Aaron Doornekamp Forward 6'7 Odessa, ON Carleton University (CIS)
4 Willie Galick Forward 6'8 Nanaimo, BC Cal State Northridge University (NCAA)
5 Russell Hicks Centre 7'1 Niagra Falls, ON Florida Atlantic University (NCAA)
6 Kris Joseph Forward 6'6 Montreal, QC Syracuse University (NCAA)
7 Maurice Joseph Guard 6'4 Montreal, QC University of Vermont (NCAA)
8 Myck Kabongo Guard 6'2 Toronto, ON St. Benedict's (HS)
9 Tyler Kepkay Guard 5'10 Vancouver, BC University of Utah (NCAA)
10 Bol Kong Forward 6'6 Vancouver, BC Gonzaga University(NCAA)
11 Kyle Landry Forward 6'9 Calgary, AB ISS Sportino(Poland)
12 Scott Morrison Centre 6'11 Vancouver, BC Albacomp (Hungary)
13 Harouna Mutombo Guard 6'4 Pickering, ON Western Carolina University (NCAA)
14 Robert Sacre Centre 6'11 Vancouver, BC Gonzaga University (NCAA)
15 Jevohn Shepherd Forward 6'6 Toronto, ON University of Michigan (NCAA)
16 Alex Steele Guard 6'3 Edmonton, AB Edmonton Energy (IBL)
17 Michael Tuck Forward 6'6 Markham, ON Amicale(Luxembourg)
18 Marvell Waithe Forward 6'8 Scarborough, ON Tallahassee CC (NJCAA)
19 Kai Williams Forward 6'6 Regina, SK South Dakota State University (NCAA)

BobZag
06-11-2009, 08:54 AM
One must be a Canadian citizen if one is to be on the Canadian Senior Men's Team. :)

ZagNative
06-11-2009, 08:58 AM
One must be a Canadian citizen if one is to be on the Canadian Senior Men's Team. :)Hah! So I guess we know how Bol solved his Visa problems!

Here come the Canucks!

http://www.freewebs.com/sympatique/emoticon_canadaFlag.gif

BobZag
06-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Hah! So I guess we know how Bol solved his Visa problems!

Here come the Canucks!

It's elementary, my dear Watson.

CanadianZagFan
06-11-2009, 09:00 AM
That list is not even close to including players that will ultimately comprise the players that make up the senior national team. This is an early group so that the coaches can identify and evaluate progress.

CaliforniaZaggin'
06-11-2009, 09:06 AM
That list is not even close to including players that will ultimately comprise the players that make up the senior national team. This is an early group so that the coaches can identify and evaluate progress.

True. But this will give Bol and Rob some good competition, which should be especially helpful considering both these guys sat out last season.

And hopefully Bol's inclusion on this list will FINALLY put to rest any concerns about Bol getting into the US.

cjm720
06-11-2009, 09:17 AM
This is the closest and best news we've heard on Bol. Love it.

Go Bol and Rob and Go ZAGS!!!!!

former1dog
06-11-2009, 09:19 AM
One must be a Canadian citizen if one is to be on the Canadian Senior Men's Team. :)

That is exactly what I thought when I read the headline. :)

Nevtelen
06-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Plus, the listing of Kong's 'school/club' as Gonzaga University is a pretty nice nod to his eventual appearance at GU, too.

ZagNative
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Plus, the listing of Kong's 'school/club' as Gonzaga University is a pretty nice nod to his eventual appearance at GU, too.But likely not until September? Doesn't look like the camp would allow him to make it in June?

77Zag
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
So BZ -- being in the know...
Will Bol Kong finally surface for Summer Session II at GU -- like many Zag newbies.
Starts June 29th -- he arrives say June 26th or so?

Love the fact that it mentions Gonzaga NCAA

Great news on Bol and Rob -- go Canada, go Zags!

GoZags
06-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Bol's story is incredibly intriguing. The behind the scenes efforts this past year were far from easy.

I'm very much looking forward to following the continuation of Bol Kong's journey.

BobZag
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
So BZ -- being in the know...
Will Bol Kong finally surface for Summer Session II at GU -- like many Zag newbies.
Starts June 29th -- he arrives say June 26th or so?

Love the fact that it mentions Gonzaga NCAA

Great news on Bol and Rob -- go Canada, go Zags!

Depends on the Canadian team's schedule, especially if he makes the cut.

bigblahla
06-11-2009, 10:18 AM
boom...boom...boom...:D

It's just gotta happen!

Go!! Zags!!!

Vizagra
06-11-2009, 10:47 AM

I was having a good day, then I read this and it turned into a GREAT one! Oh man!

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2009, 10:52 AM
From SIRC (http://www.sirc.ca/news_view.cfm?id=28772&search=&show=&month=&year=&search_where=):

After doing a little research, apparently, in your boxes, you made a bit of a mistake. The last paragraph of the first box talks about a junior training roster and that's what the list in your second box is compromised of; it shouldn't read as the Senior men's team, because it's not; it's the young guys, getting a chance to work out with the seniors, with the very slim chance one or two may make the Senior roster. That being said, the juniors are better then the seniors and a few of those guys along with Tristan Thompson, Junior Cadaguon, Corey Joesph, etc. will eventually be the senior team. Just wanted to clear things up.

ZagNative
06-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Dangit! Wish ZN weren't such a knucklehead! Anybody close enough to reach over and smite ZN for inaccurate reporting?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_aufsmaul.gif

thespywhozaggedme
06-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Dangit! Wish ZN weren't such a knucklehead! Anybody close enough to reach over and smite ZN for inaccurate reporting?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Junk/Emoticons/smiley_emoticons_aufsmaul.gif

Are you kidding? Your daily reports have been a must read for many of us here and you must know how much we appreciate you. ZagNative is one cool chick, and we love you. :allhail:

Section 116
06-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Here comes Kong, from the Slipper Still Fits:

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/6/11/906194/here-comes-kong

baitcast
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Yes I believe I do hear them.........the drums........the drums

School Gonzaga yes :allhail: yes.

Rob in nowhere AZ.

OZZag
06-11-2009, 04:03 PM
I am personally disgusted with Canada Basketball for excluding some players from at least having a try out. Alex Steele for example plays for the Edmonton Energy of the IBL. There are 8 Canadian players on the Energy roster. Alex Steele is a great point guard, but there are other Canadians on the Energy roster that are very good players. The guys left out that deserve a try out are JR Patrick (who is by the way the team captain and leading scorer), Steve Sir (Who led the NCAA in three point percentage with Northern Arizona when he played), Andrew Parker who has NBA athletacism and a great attitude), Skouson Harker, Lunzaya Nlandu (Who was team captain for Western Carolina back when he played in the NCAA). So my point is all these guy deserve a shot. It seems like once again a large majority of the players invited hail from Eastern Canada and once again western Canadian players seem to get shafted. I personally know Steve Sir wants and deserves a tryout, but form some reason coach rautins thinks Sir is over evaluating his abilities. If Canada Basketball wants to get back to a high level then coach rautins needs to be fair and give players that deserve a chance a fair opportunity. Links to the only two Canadian teams in the IBL rosters:

Link to the Energy roster
http://www.edmontonnrg.com/roster.php

Link to the Vancouver Titans Roster
http://www.vancouvertitans.com/index.php/team/roster

I am tired of seeing your rants against Canada Basketball, especially on a board like this. People here are interested in Gonzaga and its players. If we wanted to swoon over the Edmonton Energy we can do it on their website!

EBE
06-12-2009, 12:46 AM
I know you guys are excited but being on that list at this point in time does not mean he has Canadian Citizenship yet.

BroncoZAG615
06-12-2009, 06:13 AM
I know you guys are excited but being on that list at this point in time does not mean he has Canadian Citizenship yet.

Can you elaborate? How could one play for a national team and not be a citizen of that nation?

former1dog
06-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Can you elaborate? How could one play for a national team and not be a citizen of that nation?

Excellent question. Furthermore, if their was a doubt or question as to citizenship, why would the coaches of the Canadian team take the risk? Wouldn't they just pick a sure thing.

There is the possibility, even though it has been stated that Bol is on the practice squad, that he could really excel and get selected. Wouldn't it be absolutely imperative that he be a citizen at that point?

ZagNative
06-12-2009, 07:43 AM
If Ebe is who I think he is, I'd be inclined to attach credibility to what he says ... Are you a coach in BC, Ebe?

75Zag
06-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Hoping Bol Kong is headed to GU and the signs point in that direction. But to clarify one small point, whether or not Bol has Canadian citizenship does not necessarily resolve his visa application problem. The federal law in question applies to all men of a certain age whose country-of-origin is Sudan (and 3 or 4 other countries). A Sudanese national who obtains citizenship elsewhere (Canada) does not circumvent the special - and very rigorous - requirements of the statute. I suspect it helps, but it is my understanding after speaking with some folks that should know, that Canadian citizenship itself is not the "golden ticket" for Bol.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1300.html

Now, back to basketball.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

lothar98zag
06-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Also, why would they show GU next to his name on the site? More wishful thinking?

BobZag
06-12-2009, 08:51 AM
If Ebe is who I think he is, I'd be inclined to attach credibility to what he says ... Are you a coach in BC, Ebe?

A very respected coach in BC, ZN. I'd take what Ebe say seriously.

BroncoZAG615
06-12-2009, 08:51 AM

I knew I should have made my username CoachFew ;)

In all honesty, I have no idea what the regulations and requirements are for Bol but this seems like some kind of step in the right direction for this kid. At this point, little victories are all we can ask for.

Scotto
06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
This is just a training camp roster. They know Bol is an elite player and he probably has been invited to get a good run with some top players. If he makes the travelling team then you should be excited, as it means he can leave the country!

EBE
06-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Scotto has it right. It is a training roster and Bol trained with NEDA this year and CB is hoping that he will soon have his papers in order so he can represent Canada. Just like all of you are hoping that things get worked out so he can play for the Zags. However the situation is much more complicated than it appears as this quote from a NY Times article (June 5, 2008) hints at;
“His nationality is not the reason behind his previous rejections,” said Indran Amirthanayagam, the consulate’s public affairs officer. “If you happen to come from those countries, that’s another thing that’s looked at. But that has nothing to do with it in this case.”

jiggatothezigga
06-14-2009, 08:21 PM
EBE coached against Bol Kong when he played in the BCAA two years ago. EBE has also coached a lot of the top players in the province with the BC provincial teams(teams comprised of the top players in the province).

hondo
06-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Curiouser and curiouser!” Cried Alice