• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

A blurblet on 2011 Nick Johnson

Rivals--

Nick Johnson, one of the top combo guards in the Class of 2011, has picked up offers from Arizona, Georgia, Oregon State and Washington to go along with his previous offer from Arizona State.
    I'd like to see Gonzaga join that list, but with 2011s Kingma, Bell and Hanstad already on the Zags' wish list of guards, who knows...
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • CaliforniaZaggin'
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
    I'd like to see Gonzaga join that list
    +1

He's going to be a tough one to land, for the Zags or anyone else.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

If I had to bet, none of those guys will stay in Wa St. Looks like a major bumper crop.......and I'm thinking they'll go to those bigger St schools........elsewhere. Love to see 1 or even 2 come to GU but wanderlust seems to be the order of the day. Kingma would be nice. Bell would be spectacular. I suspect the other top 25 schools know about them too.
      Lots depends on how well we do on the national scene with TV, NCAA tournaments, etc. Too early to call it right now...PAC X is a big draw but will be weak again this year.....once you go beyond Cal (which I don't think is super loaded), it's a tossup of the "also rans" unless Ben surprises at UCLA. GU might look pretty super come January. I hope so.

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Scout already shows an offer from Gonzaga, per our 2011 listing on GUNatuon. Angelo brought it to our attention back in January, linking a story from BRO. They've obviously been out there early enough, but whether they've been persistent or tempting enough, time will tell. And time is something this young man's got plenty of ...

Incidentally, ESPNhas updated his Scout, Inc., rating to 97, up from 93 the last time I looked!
        April, 2009: Johnson is a big time athletic combo-guard. He has excellent size and strength for his age. He can sprint the lane in transition or rebound and start the break with ease. He is an improved three point shooter that shot extremely well. He can knock down the open three off the catch or he can dribble up to the line and knock it down off the dribble. His release and follow through look good and seems to have confidence in his stroke. He is a good ball handler and passer as well. He can beat his man and shoot the mid range jumper in the lane. Johnson is also an above the rim finisher in transition with a clear path. He is also a lob catcher on the break. Johnson is more of a shooting guard but his point guard skills are developing rapidly. He does a great job at finding the open man in drive, draw and kick situations. He is also strong enough to finish through contact once he gets deep into the lane. Johnson is a terrific all around guard with a bright future.
        Here are a couple of videos lnked for him in the prospects tables links: Youtube April 6, 09 - Dunk for Drew Gooden Oakland Soldiers and April 13, 09 longer Youtube clip of Nick playing at the Drew Gooden Tourney.

I give up trying to figure out who will get th last couple of roster spots the next couple of years! Love looking at the kids, though, and dreaming and wondering what Fewie & Co. pull out of the hat.

Comment

• spudzag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Incidentally, ESPNhas updated his Scout, Inc., rating to 97, up from 93 the last time I looked!
          That's a pretty lofty rating, well worth the recruiting effort.

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
            +1

He's going to be a tough one to land, for the Zags or anyone else.
            EDIT: I just wanted to state that Yannick and Nick are my two fave recruits to follow right now. Whether either of them will land at GU, who knows.
            What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

Working...
            X